Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Gaiter Question / Recommendation

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post

    OR will replace anything that is broken or even worn out for no charge, so they've got that going for them.

    TIm

    They are enforcing "normal wear and tear" much more than they used to. I scream through Crocodiles (I only get about a season from the expedition ones) and they have stopped replacing them for me. The foot straps always wear through the gaiter right above where they are sewn to it and the velcro always comes unraveled past the seam then separates from the gaiter.

  2. #17
    Moderator bikehikeskifish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    They are enforcing "normal wear and tear" much more than they used to. I scream through Crocodiles (I only get about a season from the expedition ones) and they have stopped replacing them for me. The foot straps always wear through the gaiter right above where they are sewn to it and the velcro always comes unraveled past the seam then separates from the gaiter.
    How many miles? Any "failures" I've had were due to my snagging them on a snowshoe / crampon and tearing them... easily sewn and covered with duct tape and good for years to come.

    Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    How many miles? Any "failures" I've had were due to my snagging them on a snowshoe / crampon and tearing them... easily sewn and covered with duct tape and good for years to come.

    Tim
    My Verglas ones were done in about 50 miles. My regular Crocodiles made it to about 100-150. I'm on my third pair of expedition Crocodiles and they have been marginally more durable than the regular Crocodiles, 150-200 miles per pair. Meanwhile, my current DG gaiters just finished their third season and have over 1000 3-season miles on them.

  4. #19
    Moderator bikehikeskifish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,847
    I got about 5 years / 1200 miles out of my Dirty Girls. There are few small holes, and the Velcro is nearly detached (it could be sewn back on but it's not that sticky any more)... for $20, not a hard decision to replace them.

    I am probably at 500 (winter) miles on my Crocodiles. And, I am notoriously hard on my gear, in part because I am 6'3" and 200 pounds, with a size 13/47 shoe/boot.

    Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

  5. #20
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    My Verglas ones were done in about 50 miles. My regular Crocodiles made it to about 100-150. I'm on my third pair of expedition Crocodiles and they have been marginally more durable than the regular Crocodiles, 150-200 miles per pair. Meanwhile, my current DG gaiters just finished their third season and have over 1000 3-season miles on them.
    My Winter gaiters are a rugged OR model (not sure which one). I've been using them since I bought them (at least 5 years now maybe) and at least durability wise they've held up well. I put a good tear in them from a crampon point and the buckles are metal and kind of a pain if I adjust to different boots. They have the wide strip of industrial velcro which holds well but it never seems to join straight. I always have to screw around with it a bit to get the two strips lined up along the length because of how tall they are. Stiff fabric tends to "pucker" and requires a little evening out to get on right.

    I like OR gear and their stuff seems to be one of the few brands that fits me well but they don't seem to be in the same ball park quality wise as other companies I buy from. I've noticed broken stitches on seams and had several pocket issues, such as the "weld" on the thigh pocket of my soft shell pants coming apart. No critical failures of any kind but the types of things that make you wonder about long term quality.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    I got about 5 years / 1200 miles out of my Dirty Girls. There are few small holes, and the Velcro is nearly detached (it could be sewn back on but it's not that sticky any more)... for $20, not a hard decision to replace them.

    I am probably at 500 (winter) miles on my Crocodiles. And, I am notoriously hard on my gear, in part because I am 6'3" and 200 pounds, with a size 13/47 shoe/boot.

    Tim
    I break everything so I'm not really surprised at the failures. I'm sure my short legs and big feet play a role, too(5'6", size 11). They get baggy which is why I think the strap wears through.

  7. #22
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    I got about 5 years / 1200 miles out of my Dirty Girls. There are few small holes, and the Velcro is nearly detached (it could be sewn back on but it's not that sticky any more)... for $20, not a hard decision to replace them.

    I am probably at 500 (winter) miles on my Crocodiles. And, I am notoriously hard on my gear, in part because I am 6'3" and 200 pounds, with a size 13/47 shoe/boot.

    Tim
    Are Dirty Girl gaiters that durable? Maybe I have misunderstood how they are constructed. I thought they were basically a lightweight, warm weather minimal covering for trail runners. I didn't think they lasted very long. Thought it was more of a fashion thing with all the colors and prints they have.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  8. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,528
    I have been replacing straps on my ORs for years, I have some ancient fiberglass reinforced rubber strap material that I bought at the close out sale at Ragged Mountain. I think it was used for ancient ski bindings but I just cut off what I need and stitch on another with my handy hand sewer. I have a relatively short inseam and very large calves so if I buy a pair to fit my calves the upper strap is over my kneecap. I modified my prior pair of crocs by shortening them but havent done it to the replacements which I believe has a buckle so that straps can be replaced without sewing. Back when I roamed the IME consignment aisles I would see winter boots where the gaiters had been glued to the boots after the supergaiter rubbers wore out. I think Ragged sewed new rubbers in for $40 but given their longevity I think the glue option was better.

  9. #24
    Moderator bikehikeskifish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Are Dirty Girl gaiters that durable? Maybe I have misunderstood how they are constructed. I thought they were basically a lightweight, warm weather minimal covering for trail runners. I didn't think they lasted very long. Thought it was more of a fashion thing with all the colors and prints they have.
    They are
    * lightweight
    * warm weather
    * minimal
    * trail runner-based
    * long (enough) lasting (got my $20 or $25 worth for sure)
    * fashionable

    The hardest part of ordering is finding something not too outrageous


    One of these was worn once and the other dozens of times per year for 5 years (including laundering).

    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gaiters.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	6514  
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

  10. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,528
    OR makes or made a black clone for those without the interest in designs in the fabric. I have several years on mine. I do lose the Velcro tab attached to the shoes on occasion. I stock Velcro in my repair kit and use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive

  11. #26
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    They are
    * lightweight
    * warm weather
    * minimal
    * trail runner-based
    * long (enough) lasting (got my $20 or $25 worth for sure)
    * fashionable

    The hardest part of ordering is finding something not too outrageous


    One of these was worn once and the other dozens of times per year for 5 years (including laundering).

    Tim
    Interesting. Definitely looking for something a bit heavier for cold weather water splashes, mud, etc but I may break with my no gaiters in Summer rule and try a pair of these with my trail runners.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  12. #27
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    OR makes or made a black clone for those without the interest in designs in the fabric. I have several years on mine. I do lose the Velcro tab attached to the shoes on occasion. I stock Velcro in my repair kit and use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive
    Their "Overdrive Wrap Gaiters" may be the latest incarnation of what you're referring to. They seem to have a clunky velcro closure on the front though which looks to me like it would catch on stuff and pull open. I think Salomon had a similar design too.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Their "Overdrive Wrap Gaiters" may be the latest incarnation of what you're referring to. They seem to have a clunky velcro closure on the front though which looks to me like it would catch on stuff and pull open. I think Salomon had a similar design too.
    The Thrus are probably closer. The overdrive wraps look like their latest incarnation of the Wrapid gaiters. They have a thicker fabric that deals with water and snow better. I have a pair that I used precisely once. The under strap was too thick and wrap closure was annoying. Altra make some like the DG gaiters that mate with their shoes really well using hooks on the side instead of a strap and velcro on both sides to take full advantage of the gaiter trap.

  14. #29
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    3,085
    The strap under the boot is what fails, it's really the only thing subject to severe wear and tear as every step is use. What I find is that if wrapped firmly and pulling down as far as possible, Use the velcro and hook the front hook low on the lowest boot lace you can, the strap isn't needed. (I just tuck it in so I don't trip on it)

    Other than that, just crampon points are an issue. I made a neat approx 1" slit in one of my mine, however i still use them as it's a very clean slit, no jagged edges.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  15. #30
    Senior Member kerry13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike on Monadnock's Red Spot Trail
    Posts
    338
    I too had problems with straps failing on my 3 season gaiters. I found that using plastic coated speaker wire is the easiest long term fix. I try to buy gaiters that have a grommet hole that the strap/string passes through. If your gaiters have stitched or glued straps you may need to put in a grommet. Pass the speaker wire through the grommet twist it a couple times and you're good to go. At 2-3 hikes a weeks over rocky trails my speaker wire fix will easily last a year or two and it is nothing to carry a couple 16" pieces in my pack for two second emergency repairs.
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery,
    Today is a gift, enjoy it!

    Kerry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •