Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Redlining racist?

Redlining racist?

https://www.findingphilip.com/blog/renametheredline/

Apparently, a bunch of woke white folks have chosen this hill to die on. Due to them all finding out this summer that "redlining" has more than one meaning, they want to remove the word from hiking culture.

Embarrassingly childish. These people need to hike more, and open their yaps less. If they want to do something for people who have been disadvantaged, they should do something, instead of nonsensically virtue signaling. As one of my old climbing mentors said, "Do it, don't talk about it."

Wasn’t there some talk about renaming some of the Presidential peaks?
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post

Apparently, a bunch of woke white folks have chosen this hill to die on. Due to them all finding out this summer that "redlining" has more than one meaning, they want to remove the word from hiking culture.
    I wonder if any of these idiots ever rented a movie from Blockbuster?

That is some impressive chest thumping guys.

It is what it is. It certainly wouldn't change your accomplishment or how you were perceived in the hiking community if you said you were Spaghetti-"O"ing the WMNF or the ADK. 95% of the people think you're crazy for all that time in the woods anyway.

I was using different color highlighters when I was marking up one of my maps, (the old blue $4.95 one that covered almost all the whites.). In this day and age when only the over 50 crowd hug their maps and much of the research is done using online pdf maps, can't you color the line almost any color you want? (my initials are MAP so, yes I prefer a tangible map)

I agree, it's silly...

OTOH, most of us are old white guys, we've never been told we wouldn't want to live in that nice neighborhood, we would be happier with our own kind and had difficulty getting a mortgage based on our looks or name. Had I been born 100 years earlier, I might have been told a certain end in Boston had food I would have preferred.

If you are that upset about it, you can say you are canceling the trails on your map. Considering that VFTT'ers used "Alligator Eggs" as a greeting when you think you were meeting other VFTT'ers are we really that hung up on redlining? Pick blue or green and you should be fine until ET visits a state other than a state well known for backyard stills and not scholars.

(What was the old joke, they flew light years to get here and can't find a city with a well respected leader to talk to)
    Last edited by Mike P.; 03-02-2021 at 04:42 PM.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post

After all they have been through in this country, if Black folks find the term “redlining” objectionable, then it’s easy enough to use another word.

What’s the big deal?
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

"Speech is violence"; "Violence is speech."

"War is peace." "Freedom is slavery." "Ignorance is strength."

"Every cop is a criminal, and all the killers saints."

The "big deal" is marching blindly into this territory, blissfully unaware of where it leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    After all they have been through in this country, if Black folks find the term “redlining” objectionable, then it’s easy enough to use another word.

What’s the big deal?
    As far as I can tell, it seems more like white people being offended on behalf of black people than black people being offended. Maybe that has to do with hiking demographics but the few black people I know who are actually familiar with NH hiking culture aren't offended and have been called brainwashed for disagreeing with Carcia's assertion.

This is the first time I've ever seen a racial connotation associated with trail redlining. Trails on the AMC hiking maps are red. It is a common practice to draw on maps with red Sharpie as one completes a trail.

I do not know of any racist redliners.

I do not think Redline Guiding is racist.

I do not think this patch is racist.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white-mountains-red-lining-patch.gif 
Views:	875 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	6620

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    "Speech is violence"; "Violence is speech."

"War is peace." "Freedom is slavery." "Ignorance is strength."

"Every cop is a criminal, and all the killers saints."

The "big deal" is marching blindly into this territory, blissfully unaware of where it leads.
    No. Silence is violence.

So keep your eyes wide open.

What's the big deal?

https://www.redlinebicycles.com/
    https://redlineguiding.com/

These companies have invested in their brand, web sites, marketing, product, decals, sponsorships, ... at no small cost. That's kind of a big deal.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Except no one is talking about these examples Tim. My comments were limited to the hiking scenario.

But... As we are seeing in the food industry decades of investment in branding does not give a company a pass to use racially insensitive images or marketing.

Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima are proof of that.

Sooner or later the white majority must wake up and realize it’s not about what “we” think.

And I don’t think we should be surprised that even our hiking community is not immune from this type of discussion. I actually think it’s a hopeful sign!

Hey, you asked

One of those two examples is directly tied to the White Mountain redlining community.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

"There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure 'cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
    In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings, sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven"

LedZep
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"