Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best GPS for hiking ap for my cell

I just click on the print icon on the left side of the map. In the print option box that opens on the left side of the screen the top item is a "Format" drop down menu. I select "Geospatial PDF. Hope this helps.
    NH 4K: 48/48, VT 4K: 5/5, NY 4K: 2/46

Quote Originally Posted by JToll View Post
    I just click on the print icon on the left side of the map. In the print option box that opens on the left side of the screen the top item is a "Format" drop down menu. I select "Geospatial PDF. Hope this helps.
    I figured it out. That alone doesn't work but I noticed the dialog no longer automatically selects a grid (UTM or Long/Lat). When I select one of those options the maps work. I think it had Long/Lat selected by default in past, but I could be wrong. I usually do UTM when I print for my GPS unit so it was probably always like this and I never noticed because I always picked an option. I don't use my GPS anymore so I haven't been checking a box. Thanks.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    I think a lot of the info on the Section Hiker site is now out of date since CalTopo has launched an app and pay memberships. None of the PDF's I print now are georeferenced and do not work in Avenza. I no longer can print KMZ files in Caltopo to use on my actual GPS unit. Does anyone know if the paid versions of CalTopo still have any of these features? I tried Googling these topics but most of the articles I have come across are pre CalTopo pay model and cover the methods that previously worked but now do not. Seems like all the great free options that used to be available are slowing drifting into the pay-for-use universe.
    I use the paid CalTopo and have a pro account which gets me up to 36x48 maps in 400 DPI. I use this often to 'print' (to PDF) maps with better than USGS quad resolution (sometimes 1:4000) and then import into Avenza (I use the free option, which is limited to 3 imported maps, so I always have to delete past trips). The formats I use most often are:
    * Optical imagery with an overlay for slope angle shading (i.e. avy risk) and contours for backcountry ski routes
    * USFS maps (sometimes with slope angle shading)
    * Optical imagery with a 35% overlay of USFS maps (our maps out here frequently have info for roads/trails in the wrong place, so being able to look at both the topo and the optical and rectify map vs reality is very helpful)

Here's info on what you get with each account type:
    https://caltopo.com/about/pricing/individual-accounts/
    Warning: BigNSlow may not actually be all that slow

Quote Originally Posted by bignslow View Post
    I use the paid CalTopo and have a pro account which gets me up to 36x48 maps in 400 DPI. I use this often to 'print' (to PDF) maps with better than USGS quad resolution (sometimes 1:4000) and then import into Avenza (I use the free option, which is limited to 3 imported maps, so I always have to delete past trips). The formats I use most often are:
    * Optical imagery with an overlay for slope angle shading (i.e. avy risk) and contours for backcountry ski routes
    * USFS maps (sometimes with slope angle shading)
    * Optical imagery with a 35% overlay of USFS maps (our maps out here frequently have info for roads/trails in the wrong place, so being able to look at both the topo and the optical and rectify map vs reality is very helpful)

Here's info on what you get with each account type:
    https://caltopo.com/about/pricing/individual-accounts/
    Thanks. I had come across that page previously but didn't realize I could click on it to expand the categories and see the details. Seems like I have answers to all my questions now.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

It's a bit of a thread drift, but since there is a discussion of georeferenced pdfs I would like to point out that most Garmin GPS units can handle georeferenced jpgs that have map images. I have had quite a bit of success exporting various PDF maps to JPGs and then overlaying them on top of satellite images in Google Earth in order to export them in kmz format that most Garmin devices understand.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    It's a bit of a thread drift, but since there is a discussion of georeferenced pdfs I would like to point out that most Garmin GPS units can handle georeferenced jpgs that have map images. I have had quite a bit of success exporting various PDF maps to JPGs and then overlaying them on top of satellite images in Google Earth in order to export them in kmz format that most Garmin devices understand.
    CalTopo does this quite simply and easily in one step, but it is now a Pro feature ($50/year) versus free. That is what I had been doing when I was still using my Garmin GPS.