Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Winter Hiking Season over before it started.

sorry to hear, real confirmation that it can happen to anyone, adding my good thoughts that your rehab goes smoothly and quickly.

Sorry to hear about the injury PB!
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Sh*t happens ... get well soon and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The only piece of gear that I was missing was a small foam pad.. I have one but at some point it got taken out of the pack. I sat on my pack which made getting warmer layers out a PITA. I had plenty of top layers and extra heavy duty bottoms but no way could I pull them over my ankle. I even had microspikes in the pack but no need to use them.
    That really stinks! I am sorry, Peakbagger, and wish you the speediest and most full recovery.

Regarding the extra-heavy-duty bottoms and your inability to don them, this has always been my fear with regard to non-full-side-zip pants for insulation and shell layers. This is good information to have for those of us looking at purchasing those layers.

That's rough PB. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Sorry to hear about your injury. Heal quick! It was good to see you again at Pat and Audrey's 9 days ago.
    "The goggles, they do nothing!"

- Raineer Wolfcastle

Bummer PB! Wishing you a speedy recovery. For what it's worth, I've had major ankle surgery and I'm still hiking away!!!
    GayOutdoors.org
    It's the journey, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    Regarding the extra-heavy-duty bottoms and your inability to don them, this has always been my fear with regard to non-full-side-zip pants for insulation and shell layers. This is good information to have for those of us looking at purchasing those layers.
    Someone made this point to me many years back on here and I took it to heart. My shell/rain pants and puffy pants are both full zip models. They're so much more convenient to get in and out of with boots and/or traction and I would imagine in an injury situation would be a huge plus. 100% agree with this point and well worth highlighting.
    ďAn emerald shines even if it's worth is not spoken of" - Marcus Aurelius

Sorry to hear about your injury, peakbagger. I hope it heals properly and you can get back to the trails before spring.

That stinks and sounds like you wont even make North Woods Law. Hope you heal quickly, I did something similar out west, quite painful.

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    Very sorry to hear about your accident! Luckily help was just a cell phone call away! Hopefully you will heal quickly and this thread won't get too long!
    On #67 of NE67
    On #100 of NEHH
    On #46 of WNH48

An atom walked up to me and said "I think I've lost an electron"
    I said "Are you sure?"
    It reply "I'm positive."

Really unfortunate, hope your healing goes well and life trouble-free as possible whilst physically limited. Having broke a leg bone myself on a trail, it really made me realize how no matter where you are (far or close), it's a humbling feeling to have your mobility gone and it's a lonely feeling realizing your 'it' at that moment.

Hope you take this the right way, but many of us regular hikers imagine our day would be the outcome of something high risk, super challenging, or of the roughest terrain with accompanying dramatic tale. Hope you aren't kicking yourself thinking of all places a grassy slope.

Yeah, thatís terrible to hear PB but could always have been worse. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Selfishly, this must mean even more reports for us as to the state of affairs in northern NE!

The annoying part is at best I may not get any surgery done until next week. I got a an appointment tomorrow with an ortho surgeon. Try as I may, my hiking usually really tapers off from about Thanksgiving to February with the exception of New Years hike so hiking wise the timing is not that bad. On the other hand running my indoor wood boiler and snowblowing the driveway will be a challenge (My plow guy retired and finding a replacement has proven to be futile). I grudgingly will burn some heating oil for the first time in 6 years. Luckily I bought some last summer when it was cheap. Between that and a minisplit heat pump and a big surplus from net metering my solar I have backups.

Must be someone nearby with a plow that can help you out? I’d help but I don’t have a plow and am 35 miles south!