Thread: ADK parking etc

ADK parking etc

What's the latest on parking, fees, permits for the high peaks?

No change from last year.

The only location with a permit system is the AMR. Parking fee is of course in place at the Loj. Otherwise, no new parking, no new parking closures.

This year is not nearly as busy as the last two. Still, for the tiny lots (like Elk Lake for example) an early arrival is needed, especially on weekends.

Also note there is a lot of road work on Route 73 and Route 9N, so plan for at least some delay in travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    No change from last year.

The only location with a permit system is the AMR. Parking fee is of course in place at the Loj. Otherwise, no new parking, no new parking closures.

This year is not nearly as busy as the last two. Still, for the tiny lots (like Elk Lake for example) an early arrival is needed, especially on weekends.

Also note there is a lot of road work on Route 73 and Route 9N, so plan for at least some delay in travel.

Thanks

Need a permit to go to Flowed Lands area? From the Loj? Where do u get? Is there max # available?

What about Johns Brook? and Ausable Club areas?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. "AMR" = Ausable Mountain Reserve" which for hiking purposes is the same thing as the Ausable Club.

I'm pretty sure there are no permit systems anywhere else. Access at Upper Works, Elk Lake, Loj, Chapel Pond, etc. is only limited by parking.

Quote Originally Posted by rup View Post
    Thanks

Need a permit to go to Flowed Lands area? From the Loj? Where do u get? Is there max # available?

What about Johns Brook? and Ausable Club areas?
    If by John's Brook, you mean the Garden, it's usually busier than Elk Lake (or just smaller so more congested) and it has had a fee for several years.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

A better question may be, are the shuttles running from the airfield? I recall they had what looked like a decent plan and then covid made ride sharing seem more dangerous than the hiking.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

For this year, the shuttle from Marcy Field to the Garden will be operating beginning July 2 at 7 am.

The details are not yet up on the Town website, but will be up soon.

https://www.townofkeeneny.com/hiker-...e-information/

Details for the Town of Keene Shuttle are now up on the Town website, linked above.

Details for the DEC "Route 73" shuttle (a separate shuttle system, starts running on 7/9) are here:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/9164.html#Hiker_Shuttles

I’m planning an overnight for the Seward range. How much parking is available at the end of Corey rd? Probably won’t get there until 8am on a Saturday. Should I try for a Friday instead?
    NH48Winter 48/48, NE67 67/67, NE67Winter 54/67, ADK46 46/46, NE111 115/115.

It's a smallish lot. 15, maybe 20 if everyone squeezes in? Friday is probably a better bet. Last time I was there was on a Saturday about 4 years ago, and we were the last car to fit at about 8 AM.

Folks who have been there more often, or more recently may share more info. Try asking on ADKHighPeaks.com

If I want to skip the road, walk, how early on Saturday 10/1 do you think I have to arrive at the HPIC? This time I likely will be solo so arriving at 6:00 should be easy as opposed to trying to wake three sixteen-year-old boys back in 2019. Weather permitting, it's been a while since I've been up Colden.

Any idea on the small Connery Pond lot for Whiteface if I change my mind? Where I stay, Macomb and maybe the little Dix's (Grace & Carson now?) might be okay if hiking from the public lot near Elk Lake is okay. (Do I remember correctly that the access there closes during Hunting season?
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Hi Mike. You know it's always hard to predict. A lot depends on the weather. HPIC has been filling up by about 7 on nice days; you have a pretty good chance at 6.

Connery Pond should be fine, and there's pretty good shoulder overflow parking. I don't think they have installed any "No Parking" signs there (yet).

Elk Lake is always a watch out; very small lot. Maybe be prepared to do the longer walk from the "winter" lot. Yes, the trails there close for Northern Zone Deer Regular (rifle) Season. This year, that's 10/22 - 12/4. I don't know the actual close date; you would have to call Elk Lake Lodge and ask.

Grace is lovely from route 73 as well. Also, South Dix is still South Dix. The proposed name change to "Carson" did not go through.