Creepy Sounds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueMtn

Reaction score
I'm a first timer here so forgive the question if it has already been answered. This is an extension to a previous post I happened upon....Someone mentioned a loud, blood curdling scream from high atop a tree before and it was agreed that the sound may have been a fox.

What about a fisher cat? I think that I heard one when I first moved here and I have never been more terrified in my life! :eek: Has anyone had problems with them? I suppose he was welcoming me to NH !

Fisher cats also prey upon small pets, like kitty cats.

I misplaced that earlier thread too, but there was a really cool show on NHPR this past week that included an expert on "blood curdling screams in the woods," and the person provided some sound tracks of rabbits and even mice just before they became meals; really amazing what noise those small animals can make at the end of their lives......

Welcome to VFTT :)

On a previous thread, someone posted a very cool link to a collection of animal sounds.

Thank you ...I found the link to those sounds. None of them were the same I had heard but could be frightening sounds all the same!

I missed the original thread so sorry if this idea has already been raised. I've heard what sounds like a woman screaming while hiking in the woods near dusk... and was told it was a type of owl (can't remember which one... maybe a screech owl?)

- Ivy

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that a screaming sound like that is a fisher cat. I live in the sticks in NH and a similar sound wakes me up in the middle of the night from time to time. My family has a chicken coop which probably attracts them. Luckily we haven't had one get in in several years but we have neighbors that aren't so lucky. When they hear screaming sounds pets and small livestock tend to disappear.

I missed the original thread, but you might have heard racoons fighting. That noise is unreal. It sounds like a 4 month old baby being beaten with a cat that is being swung by it's tail. I can not even come close to descibing the screeching. There is a reason that racoons get/spread rabies - there is a lot of blood involved in their fighting.

- darren

I have heard a barred owl squawk and you would swear it was a woman's scream. When I first heard it I thought one of the family housecats was being attacked by a fisher, but after charging out of the house with the remington I found that it was a barred owl trying to fend off a potential suitor. Got a good close look at the would be couple :)

Bf?

Or a Bigfoot? Don't laugh.

Here are two of many sites that contain several vocal recordings attributable to BF. I like the first since it offers Barred Owl and Saw Whet Owl recordings for comparison. If you hear something that sounds like an air raid sireen, or a weerwolf in a bad horor movie, take note.

http://home.earthlink.net/~arkansasapes/id18.html

http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp

The NESRA is currently doing BF investigations areound Whitehall, NY, near Lake George, and may move into the ADKs this summer. Give them a jingle if you think you actually saw / heard something relavent.

http://www.nesra.net/phpBB2/index.php