Bird ID?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what kind of bird this is?
(click photo for large picture):

I took this photo today in the col between Jackson and Webster. The bird was cautious but didn't seem very afraid of me.

Thanks,
^MtnMike^

I zoomed in for that picture. He was about 4 feet in front of me. :)

Thanks for the ID Gris!
^MtnMike^

Last edited:
^MtnMike^ said:
The bird was cautious but didn't seem very afraid of me.

Hence one of the vernacular names for
Falcipennis canadensis : "Fool's Hen." Unlike his cousin, the Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus), the Spruce Grouse will tolerate an approach close enough to be dangerous for this semi-tasty wild chicken. (Yes, it tastes like chicken, but occasionally a little affected by its diet.) The Ruffed Grouse is tastier and more wary.

The Spruce Grouse is one of my personal "place birds," i.e, a bird that defines for me a memory of a particular place. In this instance, it's the Minnesota--Ontario border country, where my sister and I used to mock-stalk them while on canoe trips.

HikerBob said:
How about THIS ONE ????

:D

For more oddities you hope never to meet on the trail, check out the guys site at www.humandescent.com Truly bizzare.

Bob

That is a female CoyFinch. Stop putting Alpo in your bird feeder and they will move on to your neighbor's garbage the feral cats.

Nice Photo!

I ran into the same bird (well, one just like it) on Lend-A-Hand on Sunday. My picture didn't come out nearly as well.

Male Spruce Grouse Pix

Great picture Mike.

These birds are not very shy and I've gotten up close to them on more then one occassion. Once on the AT near Twin Mtn (Whites), a male attacked my feet. They can be very territorial. But your shot is picture perfect.