Lake colden Area questions.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imarchant

Reaction score
I am planning my first trip to the Adirondacks high peaks area. This will be a five-day midweek trip.

Day 1: Travel, Backpack into Lake Colden Area, Beaver Point leantos, from Upper Works.
Day 2: Day Hike: Algonquin, Wright, Iroquois
Day 3: Day Hike: Colden, Avalanche Lake loop
Day 4: Day Hike: Gray, Marcy, Skylight
Day 5: Morning Hike: Marshall. Afternoon: Backpack out.

Driving from the South, what is the best exit off the Northway to get to Upper Works the fastest?

What is the water like in Lake Colden (besides cold ;) )? Are there fish in the lake? Are conditions suitable for swimming?

We are interested in exploring the plane crash sites on Wright and Marshall. Any advise on the plane crash locations?

Any other words of wisdom?

Note: We will be using bear canisters.

I'd suggest jumping off I-87 (Northway) at exit 29 (North Hudson) and taking Blue Ridge Road west to Tahawus where it connects with the road to Upper Works.

Lake Colden is stillwater and not remarkably cold (as I recollect). Better water to be had in nearby Opalescent Brook (which also has some pretty nice swimming holes as you will discover by rock-hopping upstream a bit). I would not expect any fishing (acid rain).

Beaver Point is a nice site. Great view of the lake, Avalanche Pass, etc.

Have a ball!

G.

Exit 29 of the NW is the route. Follow Blue Ridge Rd. west (left from the exit ramp) for about 15 miles. It's a long winding road, and pay attention for loaded logging trucks on some of the blind corners. There's a sign on the right for Tahawus, and the National Lead mines. Take that right. If you cross over a set of abandoned rail tracks, you've just missed the turn. But it's well marked. Follow that road to the very end of it, about 3-4 miles. The farthest point you can drive to is Upper Works.
Canisters are a good idea at Lake Colden. As far as I know, there isn't a swimming area at LC, but there are alot of spots in the Opalescent River, just below the LC dam that you can swim in. Fishing? I'm sure it's not stocked, but there may be some natives in the OR, but with the acid rain, probably very few. The traditional bass, perch, pickerel species are most likely the main inhabitants of LC.
The plane crash on Wright is on the summit rock, so you can't miss that. I don't know the coordinates for the Marshall site, but there are members here who do, and may chime in with the info. I do know it's on the Iriquois side of the mountain.
Have a great time!

IIRC, the wreckage of the B-47 from the 1962 crash on Wright is mostly located in scrub below the north side of the summit, tho I've been told that pieces can be found scattered on the eastern and even southern side as well. The only pieces I had found were on the north side, maybe 100 feet below the plaque.

If there is a way to squeeze in Redfield and Cliff, you should try to fit them in. Maybe do them on the same day you do Colden?

Looks like you put a lot on your plate already.
I would not try to add Redfield and Cliff, as those two are a full day of hiking altogether.

The water in Colden is clear. There are no fish above 2500 feet, but there is a good spot to swim near beaver point.

-percious

If you are comming in from Upper works check out Livingston Point at Flowed Lands. The lean-to is on a secluded point away from the others and there are numerous places to set up a tent if the lean-to is full. Where the Calamity trail reaches Flowed Lands the left ( North ) turn goes to Lake Colden, the right turn ( South ) goes to Hanging Spear Falls and then back to the parking lot below upper works, ( Lake Jimmy & Lake Sally area ) Following the Hanging Spear Falls path right in about a half mile below the junction you cross the stream at the old dam. Directly across the stream a path goes straight into the woods and turns back toward Flowed Lands about 1/2 to 3/4 mile to the point where the lean-to and camping area is. It is also possible to follow the stream from there to Lake Colden. Just an idea as the Colden Lean-tos and decent sites are almost always full. There are also a few lean-tos and camp sites where the Calamity trail reaches Flowed Lands. The route from Flowed Lands is usually muddy and quite rocky and it may make sense to utilize that with day packs rather than your full packs. Good luck

Be Beary Careful

The only thing I'd add, if you haven't been in the High Peaks before, is that the area around Colden is known for it's bears. Take the usual precautions and all that, you know, just be aware.

AntlerPeak said:
If you are comming in from Upper works check out Livingston Point at Flowed Lands. The lean-to is on a secluded point away from the others and there are numerous places to set up a tent if the lean-to is full. Where the Calamity trail reaches Flowed Lands the left ( North ) turn goes to Lake Colden, the right turn ( South ) goes to Hanging Spear Falls and then back to the parking lot below upper works, ( Lake Jimmy & Lake Sally area ) Following the Hanging Spear Falls path right in about a half mile below the junction you cross the stream at the old dam. Directly across the stream a path goes straight into the woods and turns back toward Flowed Lands about 1/2 to 3/4 mile to the point where the lean-to and camping area is. It is also possible to follow the stream from there to Lake Colden. Just an idea as the Colden Lean-tos and decent sites are almost always full. There are also a few lean-tos and camp sites where the Calamity trail reaches Flowed Lands. The route from Flowed Lands is usually muddy and quite rocky and it may make sense to utilize that with day packs rather than your full packs. Good luck

Thanks for the great info. (Not only you but everyone else who replied.) If I were to stay in this area I would need to cross this muddy, rocky section each day to get to my planned destination. How difficult is the route up the stream?

It is a relative easy to follow along the shore of the stream from Livingston Point to the lean-tos at Lake Colden, though the route is not marked. There are great views from the site of the lean-to looking north to Mt Colden.

The Calamity trail from the junction at Flowed Lands is rather muddy and rocky though not excessively difficult but much better managed with day pack. If your plan is to day hike the peaks from Lake Colden this offers a viable option if you find the Colden area full or if you simply don't wish to carry your full packs any further when reaching the trail junction at Flowed Lands.

Both lake Colden and Flowed Lands are beautiful places to camp, both are subject to crowding and both are frequented by the bears. Flowed Lands was offered as an option to consider and the day hike from there to Lake colden is about fifteen minutes with a day pack.

Either choice is a good one.

Good info. I'll just add that you need to be alert while you're handling food (preparing & eating), because bears may approach while you have all your eats spread out around the lean-to! They don't want you, but they definitely want your grub.

AlG said:
Good info. I'll just add that you need to be alert while you're handling food (preparing & eating), because bears may approach while you have all your eats spread out around the lean-to! They don't want you, but they definitely want your grub.

A good rule of thumb is to cook your food before it gets dark. The bears usually make the rounds right around sunset, so you can expect to see them around that time. If you finish cooking between 6 and 7 you will be fine, but stay alert, because they can show up early.

-percious

percious said:
A good rule of thumb is to cook your food before it gets dark. The bears usually make the rounds right around sunset, so you can expect to see them around that time. If you finish cooking between 6 and 7 you will be fine, but stay alert, because they can show up early.

-percious

That's our plan. Thanks for the info. We also plan to cook some distance from our sleeping area.