ME Bushwacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms

Reaction score
I really debated even posting this report, but maybe there is someone on the site who may be considering doing the ME 3K list, so here goes. On Wednesday, my friend Jim and I bushwacked Mt. Pisgah in the Chain of Ponds quad. On Thursday, we did Mt. Sisk and N. Sisk, which are directly east of Pisgah. The usual route is to do all three peaks in a one day circuit. But based on reports of heavy vegetation in certain areas I had from some other friends, thanks John Swanson!, we decided to do all three peaks separately and try to miss the thickest spots. Sometimes finding the right road can be a problem, in this case, the map seemed to be very clear, but as can happen at times, after getting into the area of the peaks we found roads not shown on the map, but finally at 11 we were able to get started out towards Pisgah. This peak was a pleasant surprise, some really great views south toward Mt. Snow and it's surrounding mountains. Very nice open areas and no dense vegetation. The last signee in the register was over a year ago. After we finished, we scouted routes for the Sisks. Next day we got a 7 am start for Sisk, and it was open woods to within the last 200/300 feet of elevation where the woods did get thick. The last visitor at Sisk was over two years ago. But the comments in the register about N. Sisk were all totally negative. Eric Schlimmer wrote that he never found the register, other comments were about how bad the col was. Before launching for N. Sisk we double checked our proposed bearing and starting elevation. Things went well, hardwoods all the way to about within 400 feet of elevation of the summit, then it went from great to total crap instantly. Steep, with cliffs and really thick matchstick all the way to the summit ridge, you literally couldn't take one step without fighting for it. At any rate we spent over an hour searching for the register without success. We finally worked our way to what we felt was the highpoint of the ridge, the altimeter read 3420 and the map elevation shows 3430. We climbed a tree and saw no higher point, and looking at the map and comparing it with the physical features we were seeing we felt certain we were on the summit bump. At any rate not finding the register, we put up a new register on the at the bump with an elevation 3420. This peak gave me a QCO! Anyone care to guess what a QCO is? After reading this report if anyone interested in doing some ME 3K wacks, get in touch, we are always looking for new blood, and you will surrender some of it to the woods!

Last edited:
Pat and I are certainly interested, but we don't get up there too often, usually the first couple of weeks in July. We're sort of working on the NE 3K's, and Pisgah and the Sisks are on the agenda. We've done pretty much everything just south of there, except Onion Hill and a boundary bump or two. Keep us posted on your plans.

dms said:
I really debated even posting this report, but maybe there is someone on the site who may be considering doing the ME 3K list, so here goes.
<snip>
After reading this report if anyone interested in doing some ME 3K wacks, get in touch, we are always looking for new blood, and you will surrender some of it to the woods!

I'm certainly interested!
Currently I'm working the NEHH list and have completed the bushwacks in ME ('cept Fort) & NH. I'm heading to VT next week in search of more. So, what can I say except :eek: <GULP> I've discovered I really enjoy bushwacking :eek: ... is that a psychological problem :confused:
Please keep me posted.

Onestep

Onestep that's great, I am happy to let you know of our further adventures! Once the 3K fever gets you, it doesn't let go.

D,

you know I'll join you...

by the way, I found your map yesterday! PB and I were on Big Spencer and I "stumbled" upon what I have to assume was your quad. If you want it back, give email me your address and I'll send it on.

I still didn't make it to the South peak! I was beaten hard. We did Little Spencer in the morning and I then made it to the last bump before the South peak of Big Spencer, but realized I would never make it back to the truck if I went all the way.

So, maybe 3 times will be a charm?

spencer

p.s. PB will post a full report in a day or so.

South Peak

That is funny, my son and I retraced our steps and never found it! BTW, I have info on a shorter approach to the South Peak via logging roads off the road that has the Little Spencer trailhead. I am happy to fax or mail you a copy of the approach. D.

Last edited:
3krs

I'm there DMS,doin em' all no matter how long it takes........put off the NEHH for a yr havin lot's of adventure with the 3 kr's.......missin link :)

Hi DMS

Spencer and I had a great weekend whacking. I'll try to get a report up today. We hit 5 peaks in the Moosehead region (one a repeat) and we were bushed but happy.

I'm hoping that I will finish my NEHH and NEFF this summer. So perhaps I need new goals. With my life expectancy of hopefully 30 more years, the 770 3Ks are too many for the time available :) :), so I'm thinking (instead of just the ocasional straggler 3ks as I have been doing lately) why not work on the ME HH and/or the NH HH? Why not indeed!

Keep in touch.

We saw your entry in the register on Big Spencer and we saw the mark on your map (South Big Spencer) so I would say we have at least one common short turn goal - to get that SOB.

best

Last edited:
I have to say that, like Onestep, I'm developing a real love for the bushwhacks. Please, keep these TRs coming and let me know about your upcoming adventures!

I'm not quite pursuing the NE 3ks just yet (still working on NEHH and NHHH) but, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be up for some not list whacks!!

Hi DMS!

I've recently been afflicted with the 3000 fter virus! I like the challenge of completing them solo but suspect that hiking them with fellow sufferers would still be a blast as well as significantly safer.

I'm interested in anything in NE (maybe NY, down the road). I appreciate your offer to try to connect us. I've been reading VFTT for a few weeks now, but this is my first active participation. Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Mark

mhrsebago said:
Hi DMS!

I've recently been afflicted with the 3000 fter virus! I like the challenge of completing them solo but suspect that hiking them with fellow sufferers would still be a blast as well as significantly safer.

I'm interested in anything in NE (maybe NY, down the road). I appreciate your offer to try to connect us. I've been reading VFTT for a few weeks now, but this is my first active participation. Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Mark
Great to hear from you Mark! I hope to do a ME trip after Labor Day, I will keep all interested parties advised. Doing some of the multiple peak trips solo would be pretty intense, I have always found it nice to have an "extra" set of eyes looking at the map and on the terrain.