Pine Marten?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Saturday morning around 530am, I was with my friend headin up 93 between exit 30 and exit 31 and we saw a small weasel type animal...but I don't think it was a weasel. At first I thought it was a fisher cat, but the color was too light to be a fisher I think. I did some research and came across a pine marten. It looked almost exactly like one, but isnt the river valley too low of an elevation to see one of these animals? Also, I'm pretty sure they are endangered so I really don't know what I saw. But man, those pictures I found look very similiar to a pine marten. Can anybody help?? If I saw a pine marten I would feel very fortunate as I have seen several endangered species this past year.

grouseking

Martens have a very fox-like face (the head is quite triangular in shape), I think, in comparison to the other mustelids (Weasel family). The body is decidely rounder than the short-tailed weasel or the mink and it is quite a bit smaller than the Fisher (generally about half the size and only two thirds the size of the average house cat). Martens are generally about 2 feet long including the tail which is slightly less than half its length. Color is very variable, but tends to be lighter in the brown to brownish orange or yellowish range. Typical Marten habitat tends to be in cool dense Northern spruce stands and I would guess they are quite rare as far south as you were, but I am no expert for sure. There are some people I can check with about this and I will do so and get back to you if I hear anything of interest.

Is it possible that you saw a mink? They will wander a great deal for food and are ubiquitous in lowland areas along streams and the like. They look similar enough at first glance. It is always hard to say after the fact when you get a glimpse of an animal like this. I am rooting for the Marten, though :). Check out the books Tracking and the Art of Seeing and Wild Mammals of New England for good descriptions that may trigger something for you.

You know, when I was talking to my friend, at first I thought it was a fox because of the face, but it was WAY too small. I just looked up a mink, and I don't think it was a mink, but it would make sense as to where I found it. I really think I saw something rare and remarkable in this pine marten. I tend to have good luck seeing these animals (I've had bald eagles...yes plural...circle above me while I was painting my house...in southern NH). Definitely let me know if you have any more expertise and knowledge to share!

grouseking

I don't have the number on hand for you, but give a call to the Harris Center for Conservation Education in Hancock and ask for Meade Cadot to answer the question about Marten distribution in NH. You might also get him at his office at Antioch New England Graduate School (he teaches Mammalogy as well as other classes there). He will probably know for certain if there could be a small number in that general area or if there couldn't possibly be. I am guessing that is what you saw; I wouldn't be surprised anyway. I don't think they are endangered ... I think they might be a Species of Special Concern in the state but I could be wrong.
Best of Luck!

This site lists pine martens as "threatened," but not "endangered" in NH. I read somewhere that nationally they are not on a threatened or endangered list, only in certain areas of the country are they listed as such. Usual disclaimer: I'm no expert, etc... I've seen them in the Adirondacks, and from your description it sounds like you saw one.

Quite right, and a great point --- they are not nationally or even widely endangered. Proper habitat for these critters has simply dwindled within its historical range.

I would second gaiagirl's comment about the fox-like appearance. The ears, in particular, are quite noticeable, something which is certainly not true of weasels, otters, mink.

I also would say that whenever I have seen one of these mustelids (rarely, unfortunately), they all have a certain crazy hyperactivity about them, totally unlike similar-sized mammals such as rodents, rabbits.

One other common trait, they don't seem to scare easily. They are pretty fearless. At least the ones one sees. The two times I have seen a marten, first, summertime, ran right across the lap of a woman in the group; a second, winter, marten outside trying nooks and crannies to get into our cabin while we were looking at it through the windows.

thuja said:
One other common trait, they don't seem to scare easily. They are pretty fearless. At least the ones one sees. The two times I have seen a marten, first, summertime, ran right across the lap of a woman in the group; a second, winter, marten outside trying nooks and crannies to get into our cabin while we were looking at it through the windows.

Second that. One bright sunny day at base of Gray Mt. in winter, a pine marten almost got my lunch!

Times Square Pine Marten

In June, 2004, Chili Willie and I saw one at about 8 pm in Times Square in the Santanoni Range in the ADK's. I think I read somewhere that this particular Pine Marten has been known to be hanging out there for years.

Willie got some nice pictures, but I am not sure where they are.

Ron

ronandjon said:
In June, 2004, Chili Willie and I saw one at about 8 pm in Times Square in the Santanoni Range in the ADK's. I think I read somewhere that this particular Pine Marten has been known to be hanging out there for years.

Willie got some nice pictures, but I am not sure where they are.

Ron

I wonder if it is the same one that was hanging around the Bradley Pond Lean-to this past winter. I also had one run out in front of me on the Upper Works Road just before you get to the blast furnace.

Several years ago while camping at the perch I awoke very early. I went to fill the water bottles when I came across a Pine Marten. I had only seen them on TV in nature shows. No one I talked to had ever seen one. I stood still and watched it for awhile. It ignored me and went about it's business before disappearing into the forest.

Pete_Hickey said:
I don't know if he's still there, but there was a "regular" that always hung aruond the Feldspar Lean-to in the Adirondacks. I think that guy gets (got?) more food than the bears did.

As of last Winter he's still there. :)

-Shayne

The first time I spotted a Pine Marten (at Chimney Pond and confirmed by the Ranger there) I thought it looked like a cross between a fox and a ferret. I also saw one on the Castle Ridge Trail. In contrast to what some others have said here, the Chimney Pond ranger said that they are seen much less frequently than their numbers would suggest because they tend to be a bit shy and are very good at avoiding human contact.

Like bears though, there will be individuals who are "rewarded" by human presence enough to overcome that innate shyness.
-vegematic

Beware of the Pine Marten on Allen Mountain (ADK'S) , earlier this month he/she snuck around under a rock , and tried to steal my daughters lunch.It's
a long way to walk out without your lunch. :eek:

Bradley Pond Pine Marten

Last winter at Bradley Pond area I woke up in the middle of the night and was greeted by the resident pine marten looking into my tent. He later took our gaiters and placed them in a neat pile.
-adirondacker

Gee, I have to meet the little guy! Do you think he would pack my stuff for me? :p I am jealous that all of you have seen one of these animals so close up ... very cool.

If you want to meet some pine martins start winter camping.when we stayed at feldsbar brk. leanto a few years ago in winter (feb.) the guy before us lost most of his food to a pine martin when he used his food bag for a pillow.The pine martin cut a nice x in his food bag and stole all his food and stashed the pile of wrapers and trash behind the leanto.We saw him each morn.and eve.Also wolf jaws leanto in winter,beaver ponds below nipple top,and panther mt.(as mentioned).
Run me out in the cold rain and snow(GD)

Wow, he cut an X, huh? I can't cut that neatly with a swiss army knife :D. Nature rules! What a great story. Guess I need to start winter camping.