Mt Cardigan??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbird22

Reaction score
Hi,

I am supposed to hike Mt Cardigan on this Thurs. How ever above 2500' there could be as much as a foot of snow. I was wondering if you would still be able to get to the trailhead if there is going to be snow on the ground. Last time I went there in the summer and I think it was a long dirt road getting there. I don't quite remember. Do they plow it? Or is there a phone number I can call for road conditions?

Thanks in advance

The lodge is open all winter, so they do plow the road. But it's sometimes a bit tricky so take it slowly.

Call 603-744-8011 to check on up-to-date details.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
The lodge is open all winter, so they do plow the road. But it's sometimes a bit tricky so take it slowly.
I second that. Towards the end of the dirt road when you arrive at the lodge, there's a very large & rather steep dip, i.e. you head downhill, then it levels out, then it heads uphill. I've been there a few times at Thanksgiving and have been very thankful (pun intended) that the road was either snow-free or well plowed/sanded. I wouldn't even attempt it during mud season.

Edit: that's the approach from the east. Can't remember the road from the west to the State Park very much, but I don't think it's dirt for very long & don't remember the road being too bad. I'm not sure when they close the upper portion of the road & the parking lot, can't remember how much of a walk that adds but I doubt it is more than half a mile.

Last edited:
arghman said:
there's a very large & rather steep dip, i.e. you head downhill, then it levels out, then it heads uphill.
There is a worse spot before that where you cross a narrow bridge then go up a steep hill, I slid into the ditch and needed a wrecker once and attendees of Thanksgiving events at the lodge often have similar stories
arghman said:
{on the W}
I'm not sure when they close the upper portion of the road & the parking lot, can't remember how much of a walk that adds but I doubt it is more than half a mile.
But I'm not sure they plow to the gate, I think you are talking maybe a mile with no real parking spot except the side on the road - don't park in the plow turnaround in iffy weather :)

My advice is to save Cardigan for good hiking & driving conditions, If you want to go above treeline in sleet Monadnock or Welch/Dickey for instance is easier to drive to in bad weather.

you shouldn't have a problem

If the "snow line" is at 2500' (which seems low for being that far south in October, but I could be wrong) then getting to the trailhead should not be a problem, as according to the map they(not sure where you planned to hike from) are all under 2000' (depends which one you take), the ("main") one by the lodge is actually just under 1400'.

So chances are likely that snow won't keep you from getting to the trail, though you may find some on the trail.

Short range forcast looks pretty wet so expect muddy roads. But as long as you take it slow and careful you should be ok. You'll be better off with a map which unfortuantely you can't buy until you get there. I've been to Cardigan four times including the morning after a storm that brought 2 feet of snow. The roads were very well plowed. I suppose the roads are maintained pretty well on account it's a destination for snow sports. If I had reason to go there I'd go up there in my Ford Taurus or my ford Winstar neither of which are much for traction. Actually I am going up there this weekend with my family to do the AMC NH Chapter Trail Work Weekend.

snowbird22 said:
Hi,

I am supposed to hike Mt Cardigan on this Thurs. How ever above 2500' there could be as much as a foot of snow. I was wondering if you would still be able to get to the trailhead if there is going to be snow on the ground. Last time I went there in the summer and I think it was a long dirt road getting there. I don't quite remember. Do they plow it? Or is there a phone number I can call for road conditions?

Thanks in advance
You should not have any problems. I saw Cardigan yesterday and it appered to have no snow on it although if you go up the face from the AMC side it may be a bit slick even with a little ice. Also be sure to dress warm because of the bald summit it can get very windy. Ive hiked this Mt. about 30-40 times and have had instances that go quite cold even in the late spring-early fall.
Be sure to stop of at Cardigan Mt. orchard. They rule. If they have picked the Empire apples yet pick up a 1/2 peck I highly recommend them.
hope ya have a blast!!!!!!!!

Hi-Cabin over night?

I've been looking for a place to do a nice hike with an over night. I saw that H-Cabin is open this coming week and thought it would be nice to stay there ($40 for the cabin and it sleeps 12). I've never climbed Cardigan so do not know any of the trails. If anyone has time free and wants to go up to hi-Cabin on Monday to stay over I will pay for the rental. Just looking for some company in unfamiliar area.

Gordon "Renaissance man" Ripley
[email protected]