Hunting Season Sticky

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
Suggestion:

Could there be a "sticky" for hunting season dates for each of the New England States and NY? I just think it would be helpful to have a "when" and "where" and "what" so that we don't have to keep asking (and I don't have to keep forgetting).

-Dr. Wu

It gets a little long to list the various seasons, because they vary significantly within each state by species, method of taking, and zone. (E.g., NH has one area ending the firearms deer season on Dec. 2 and the rest of the state on Dec. 9. And there are actually three deer seasons in NH: archery, muzzleloader, and firearms.) Here's a list of links to the states' summaries:

Connecticut

Maine

Massachusetts

New Hampshire

New York -- big game

New York -- small game

Rhode Island

Lets add Quebec

Quebec

Please note Quebec has zones with different regulations. Here's the map: Quebec zone map. The region from around Jackman ME down to the Hall's stream (west border of NH) is #4 and along the border of eastern Vermont is #6. Zone 5 and 8 go westward along the Vermont and NY line.

They also have "Zecs", which are semi-private hunting preserves. The one near Boundary Peak is Zec Louise-Gosford.

I know NE bushwhackers whack along the border. I don't know if NYers do.

DougPaul said:
BTW, some of my old links to hunting info don't work anymore, so it looks like they need to be updated yearly. While I think a sticky would be nice, the need to change the links periodically is a counter argument.
Doug
It should be a semi-sticky. In other words leave it up till hunting season is over and the next year (when someone remembers) it can be updated and re-stuck. If it's not sticky, it will be buried in a week.

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
VT: http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/Calendar_of_events.cfm?eventcat=hunt&daterange=future

BTW, some of my old links to hunting info don't work anymore, so it looks like they need to be updated yearly. While I think a sticky would be nice, the need to change the links periodically is a counter argument.

Doug
A sticky doesn't mean it's locked. You can still update it, I believe. Even if it's locked, I don't think it would take much for the mods to update it once or twice a year. Didn't we have a sticky for road closures during the winter/spring?

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Didn't we have a sticky for road closures during the winter/spring?
It's still there, but since most people seem to read this board via the "New Posts" button it won't get seen very much. I'll discuss this with the mods and see if a hunting sticky makes sense, but frankly, I think this thread is working just fine.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
It's still there, but since most people seem to read this board via the "New Posts" button it won't get seen very much. I'll discuss this with the mods and see if a hunting sticky makes sense, but frankly, I think this thread is working just fine.

-dave-
The road closure sticky will get a lot of views starting in about a month. I don't think about it except for Nov/Dec and May/June. The hunting sticky would only get a few months of use as well.

It's nice to have it in a permanent location. Since the hunting thread is just a bunch of links, it won't appear much when you hit "New Posts" either. It would be nice to have it as a more permanent feature.

-Dr. Wu

Back