Gap Mountain Trail North Parking (Near Monadnock)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I was looking at a sunrise/sunset hike of Monadnock this weekend and with all parking lot closures, reservations and all that stuff I was thinking I'd just park at the Gap Mountain Trailhead and take the 0.8 miles of so of the Metacomet Monadnock Trail over and cruise up some of the Southern trails I have never done. When I Googled for directions though I noticed it said "opens 6AM". ?? Is that some sort of paid and/or gated lot like Monadnock? And if so is it closed or gated due to COVID.

I know there's a few people on here who live in and frequent that area so I was hoping to get some first hand, up to date info on that lot and the general parking situation on Monadnock in general. Last time I went up (which was a few months back) I was going to park at the Gilson Pond Trailhead for a sunrise and discovered at 2AM that it was closed and blocked off. Trying to avoid that issue again. The Monadnock State Park website has many of the parking areas listed as reservation only (Gap Mountain not being on the drop down list) until 11/22 but it doesn't say what happens after 11/22, i.e. open parking, no access because they'll be closed, etc. Thanks in advance for any info.

What about the Marlboro TH on Shaker Road or the Dublin TH on Old Troy Road? Are there restrictions and/or reservations for those unsupervised parking lots?

I would avoid the residential road that is the Pumpelly TH.

From the Gap Mountain website: If you have any questions about Gap Mt. or Little Monadnock, feel free to call Frank at 603-585-3448

The SPNHF website only mentions the south lot being closed for logging as of 8/20/2020

What about the Marlboro TH on Shaker Road or the Dublin TH on Old Troy Road? Are there restrictions and/or reservations for those unsupervised parking lots?

I would avoid the residential road that is the Pumpelly TH.

Already hiked from both of those. For that matter I've done Pumpelly many times too, Gilson Pond and the official pay lot/entrance once (and never again). It's my favorite approach but parking there can be a major issue, especially of late. Was looking to do something a little different. I've never done any of the SW trails and was thinking maybe Monte Road sub peak. Figured I'd try to park away from the madness if indeed the Gap Mountain lot achieves that.

From the Gap Mountain website: If you have any questions about Gap Mt. or Little Monadnock, feel free to call Frank at 603-585-3448

The SPNHF website only mentions the south lot being closed for logging as of 8/20/2020

I didn't realize such a tiny spot even had a website! Sounds like it is seeing some heavy use too so I'm not sure this location will work out if I did a sunset hike and arrive during peak hours. Is the "heavy use" notice still the case in late NOV or is this a Summer leftover warning? Anybody been there recently?

Been away from there for 12 yrs now but the heavy use would follow other trends that are now relaxing. Gap gets super busy during blueberry season when it reaches critical use as it is traditionally, as well as fall foliage. Gap to Royce Trail>Cart Path>Mossy Brook>Great Pasture>Smith Summit is a Fine hike. Although Marion Trail is probably my favorite and worth the extra time and distance.
If you come back in the dark just be cautious on the trail between Gap and Rte 124 as it has some funny jogs and bends in open woods that can be hard to see in the open hardwoods and lightly used trailbed. You may feel like your going in the wrong direction back to your car.

Been away from there for 12 yrs now but the heavy use would follow other trends that are now relaxing. Gap gets super busy during blueberry season when it reaches critical use as it is traditionally, as well as fall foliage. Gap to Royce Trail>Cart Path>Mossy Brook>Great Pasture>Smith Summit is a Fine hike. Although Marion Trail is probably my favorite and worth the extra time and distance.
If you come back in the dark just be cautious on the trail between Gap and Rte 124 as it has some funny jogs and bends in open woods that can be hard to see in the open hardwoods and lightly used trailbed. You may feel like your going in the wrong direction back to your car.

Thanks for the route suggestions.