PBS NOVA show on "Hiking Denali" on tonight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amstony

Reaction score
Just caught this interesting one. PBS NOVA is showing a one hour NOVA series tonight. The topic is "Hiking Denali". Should be interesting. I'll try and catch it. If you miss tonights NOVA series it usually runs several other times during the week.

This is what the episode is specifically about - a medical investigation into why so many people die up there. Why do some people respond to higher altitudes and cold temps the way they do. Should be wicked interesting!

Huh?

I looked at the website. This is a new program, but the expedition on which the show is based took place in June 2000. Long time from expedition to TV!
I'll be watching. Thanks for the heads up.

Nova program

I just watched it, and found it very interesting. I hope that lots of people will see it. Kudos to those who successfully climb it! :)

NHPTV show times for "Deadly Ascent"

sapblatt said:
Was not able to find times for NH stations...

"'GBH? We don't need no stinkin' 'GBH!" ;)

From the NHPTV Web site:

NOVA
**Airing 1/17/2006 @ 11:00 PM

All Future Broadcast Times for this Series

Length: 56 Minutes
Episode: 3302* DEADLY ASCENT
Program Genre: Science/Technology
Rating:*TVPG
Closed Captioned: Yes
Series Website: NOVA
Program Website: None listed.
Educational Rights for school taping: Fair Use Rights, 10 consecutive school days from taping.

Description: Alaska's Mount McKinley, commonly referred to as Denali, is the highest and coldest peak in North America, and one of the deadliest mountains on earth. Each year more than 1,000 people attempt to summit it, many never to return alive. While some climbers die in accidents - sliding off icy cliffs, crushing bones against rocks, falling into hidden crevices or losing their way and succumbing to the cold - others, often in top physical condition, die from a strange disease that strikes at extreme altitudes. Now, as a new season dawns on the mountain, a team of doctors, rescuers, world-class mountaineers, military special forces and an astronaut, returns to save lives and, using themselves as subjects, decipher the deaths on Denali.

Re-broadcast Times For Episode 3302:

1/17/2006 @ 8:00 PM
1/17/2006 @ 11:00 PM
1/19/2006 @ 11:00 AM
1/19/2006 @ 9:00 PM

I caught some of this show the other night. It was real late though, around midnight or later. From what i can recall it was real good, but i was in and out of consciousness for most of it.

Thanks

Thanks to amstony for pointing out the show and DougPaul for the website reference. I found this very interesting and wish I were able to do something like that.