Human powered trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete_Hickey

Reaction score
Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
Finally getting around to writing this up. A summer trip.

I had Friday off, so I decided to do something. It was a stressful week at work, so I had to burn off some energy.

I felt like a human powered trip. It was to be one of those trips, where the decisions were left until necessary. All I knew of my plans were that I would hop on my bicycle, ride to the Adirondacks, climb something around the Loj, then ride home.

I packed the bicycle with the lightweight camping gear, stove, some freeze dried stuff, soups, etc, and started off at 6:00AM Friday morning. It was one of those nice semi-humid windless summer days, and I was able to make good time on the flat farmland, through South-eastern Ontario. By 10:30, I was stopping at A & W for a burger and root beer breakfast, and to refill my water bottles.

Fifteen minutes later, on the bike, and in a few more minutes, I was crossing the St Laurence, and going through customs. No problems this time, probably because it was such a nice day.

The next 50 miles are somewhat tedious. From the brder to Paul Smiths. I start climbing--slightly, but enough to slow what was my average speed of 18 mph...or maybe I was slowing down, because I was getting tired. At about 90 miles from my start, I stopped at Burger King in Malone for a burger, fries and Dr. Pepper to get me through the next 25 miles. Ahhh Dr. Pepper!

It was around supper time, when I stopped at a picnic table along the shore of Lake Colby in Saranac Lake for a snack. Less than 20 miles to go, so I pushed on. I was tired for the final ride down the road to the Loj. Most people driving that road don't realize, but there is a fair climb to get there. I was moving slow.

It was nearing 7:00PM, I reached the HPIC, where I bought a soda and chatted with some people. I always enjoy my supper at the picnic table next to the HPIC, and this time was no different. After supper, I got back on the bicycle, and road back to look for a campsite along the South Meadows road.

Since I was asleep by 9:00PM, I was up early the next day. I cycled back to the HPIC for their water, table and toilet. While eating breakfast, I was trying to decide what to climb. I hadn't climbed Algonquin in some time, so I decided that today would be a good day for it.

Hiding my bike in the woods, I was on the trail just before 6:00AM, and reached the summit of Wright by 7:00AM. Of course I was alone at this time. A quick snack, and on to Algonquin by 8:30, where I was still alone this beautiful Saturday morning. Heading off to Iroquois, I met the first humans: Algonquin climbers, coming up from Lake Colden.

Sometimes the day is so nice, and the body works so well, that you just want to do more than intended. It was still relatively early as I sat on the summit of Iroquois, so a spur of the moment decision had me bushwhacking over "The Wart", down to the pass, and on to Marshall.

After Marshall, I came back to The-Pass-of-Many-Names, and headed down toward the Indian Pass trail. Not long before the junction, I met the second group of humans, who had full packs, headed to Lake Colden.

The hike back toward the Loj along the Indian Pass trail is always fast, and by 3:30, I was at the picnic table with my bike, eating my freeze-dried goop and relaxing. At around 4:00, a couple guys walk by. One walks into the HPIC, and the other plops himself down on the table next to me.

"I'm dead!" he says. "I just climbed Algonquin. It's a killer!"

"Yep." I said, "It's a nice climb."

"What did you climb?" he asked.

"I climbed Algonquin, too." I answered somewhat truthfully.

So, here it is, now, 4:30, and I've got some time to kill before night, so what should I do? I decided to make my next day's ride a bit easier, so I packed up my bicycle, and started off toward home. I was about a third of the way between Paul Smiths and Malone, when I stopped in the woods--about a quarter mile north of the guy who trains sled dogs-- for the night. 40 miles! That left me with only 120 miles to do the next day.

The sounds of either wolves or sled dogs woke me a few times that night, so I slept late, and wasn't on the bicycle until 5:30. The gentle downhill to Malone was great and I was able to do the next 22 miles in less than an hour. I was out of water by the time I reached the border. I learnt a few years ago, not to drink the water from the bathrooms at the Canadian customs offices... In fact, they now have signs telling you not to drink it (I wish they did several years ago when it left me sick for a few days).

40 miles before home was the obligatory stop for a poutine. With the calories I burned this weekend, I could probably eat a dozen of them and not gain weight.

By 3:00PM, I was back at home, enjoying a nice beer and a bath. A nice ending to a fine weekend. Office stress was gone.

120 miles sandwiched around a tough day hike like that is got to be a killer.

What type of bike are you on... road? mountain? 26 or 700cc rims? what about tires... and most important hope you have a good saddle for that trip.

Impressive... now i have something to work towards hehe... on the road bike anyway

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
what was the mileage and elevation gain for the whole trip
320 miles on bike (160 day 1, 40 day 2, 120 day3), maybe 3K feet of climbing. Probably 12 or so miles hiking with over 4K feet climbing. BTW, the worst hill on the bike is the bridge over the St-Laurence.

Cantdog said:
So where does one get poutine in NY?
Dunno. And if I did, I probably wouldn't get it there. 40 miles from home is in Canada (Ontario)

Blacklab2020 said:
What type of bike are you on
Road.. Touring.700x28 tires. Seat? I seem to have a butt that can handle any saddle. I'm lucky like that. It's the back of the neck that gets the most sore.

Sleeping Bear said:
My cat is fixed, but I'm not.

Awesome!

Awesome trip Pete! Have you considered doing the Tour de France? Your daily mileage on just the bike is similar to those guys, and you could hike the French Pyrenees or Alps in addition to cycling. I think the Discovery team should talk with you....congrats on an impressive accomplishment and what sounded like a fun weekend! :)

Roxi

Hey Pete, great trip, one day we'll have to coordinate a meeting time. I know a good route to the Catskills from Jersey, but I'm sure there are some good roads to get to the ADKs from me. We'll have to arrange a trip sometime where we'll meet and then go for a hike. I know I'm about 240 miles from lake placid...

However, my long distance tourer is a MTB, unlike Pete, but I use slick tires. I've done as many as 130 miles in one day on it, semi-loaded but I'm thinking ~240 miles on my MTB would be 2 long days or 3 easy ones.

Jay

Sweet, nice report.
So... when are you planning the bike trip to Everest and back? :D

I am still amazed that you do this. I coulda been the "plop down exhausted I climbed algonquin" guy.
I think I passed might have you once many years ago as I was driving between Placid and Keene Valley - At least I am sure it was you, he was wearing Pink. If I ever have the opportunity again, I'll make sure I stop and feed you , though I have no idea what a poutine is (doughnut?)

A & W for a burger and root beer :eek:

You still have A&W's ??? We had one down here when I was a kid, the little building is still there, but it' a RE office now. :mad:
A&W's ROCK !!!

Oh, and nice trip report. Ya Da Man. ;)

Chip said:
A & W for a burger and root beer :eek:

You still have A&W's ??? We had one down here when I was a kid, the little building is still there, but it' a RE office now. :mad:
A&W's ROCK !!!

We still have one in Smithfield, RI.

Rick said:
I think I passed might have you .... I am sure it was you, he was wearing Pink.
Yeah, pink sounds like me :)
....I have no idea what a poutine is (doughnut?)
Take some french fries (good ones, not like those McDo stuff), cover them with cheese curds... fresh curds.. They should SQUEEK when you eat them.. Then pour gravy over the whole mess. It's a hi-lo meal. Hi-calorie, lo nutrition

It's a quebec thing (although it spread) The french-fry trucks usually sell them, and usually have the best ones.

I could live on poutine and Canadian beer. It would be a short life, but it would be grand. They even have poutine at McDonald's in Montreal. Be careful though, apparently if you pronounce poutine incorrectly, you are asking for a hooker. Mon francaise n'est pas tres bien. I got some weird looks when i said it wrong. Je suis americain, c'est domage. I also found a nice roadside place above the former great lake champlain, on the New York and Vermont border. I had poutine and a chocolate milkshake, my stomach almost exploded.

By the way, nice trip report. Did your legs fall off at the end of the week? Did you bring the axe w/ you? And also, do they check the axe at the border?

Pete_Hickey said:
Yeah, pink sounds like me :)
Take some french fries (good ones, not like those McDo stuff), cover them with cheese curds... fresh curds.. They should SQUEEK when you eat them.. Then pour gravy over the whole mess. It's a hi-lo meal. Hi-calorie, lo nutrition

It's a quebec thing (although it spread) The french-fry trucks usually sell them, and usually have the best ones.
Heck I ate them for years when I lived in Niagara Falls - I always thought they were a Buffalo Niagara falls thing. Fries and Gravy!!! MMMMmmmmm
Like Dill Pickles and Blue Cheese "Mmm M MMM MMM MMMM". (If I can quote Quizno's)

Chip said:
You still have A&W's ???QUOTE]

Chip, IIRC, there is an A & W on RT 86 up near Whiteface. I think I stopped there when Funky Freddy and I were staying up in Wilmington Notch last fall.
Unfortunately, I don't think they have poutines, though.

Anyhow, inspiring TR, Pete. How much weight do you suppose you carry on your back for these bike trips? Do you just use your normal backpack, or do you rig up some sort of ridiculous milk crate type action?

I have a pretty mediocre mountain bike and can't really afford a better one right now, but your stories make me want to ride up to the Catskills some time, if not the Adirondacks.

Matt

king tut said:
Did your legs fall off at the end of the week?
Hiking and cycling seem to use different muscles, and one does not seem to tire
the other out... At least for me. It's like eating fish and oranges.
king tut said:
Did you bring the axe w/ you? And also, do they check the axe at the border?
Not on the bicycle, but one time in a car, going through customs,I had the axe on a seat next to me. I was asked, "Any alcohol tabacco, or weapons?"
"No"
"Pull over, son. That's a weapon there."

mcorsar said:
How much weight do you suppose you carry on
your back for these bike trips? Do you just use your normal backpack, or do you
rig up some sort of ridiculous milk crate type action?
I never weight my gear (or myself) I only take a big pack when I want to impress people :) When alone, and on the bicycle, I go as light as possible. Everything is in panniers, or strapped to my rear carrier.

mcorsar said:
I have a pretty mediocre mountain bike and can't really afford a
better one right now, but your stories make me want to ride up to the Catskills
some time, if not the Adirondacks. Matt
It's an interesting feeling, to be on a peak, and have gone from your front door to the summit, completely on your own power. Get bald tires for the MTB, and pump them up to 90psi. A couple yers ago, when I cycled down to NYC, I noted that, for cycling, the hills in the Catskills were much worse than those in the Adirondacks.

That is a very ambitious hiking/biking trip...............you are a "Ironman". I may have to start using this mode of travel to the High Peaks if the price of gasoline keeps climbing :eek: Thanks for the inspiration :)

"Poutine" ! Yes, a VERY popular (probably the most popular) food at the Titus Mountain Ski area in Malone.