Carrigain & Pond Whack 4/29/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Reaction score
Dr. Wu and I headed out on the Signal Ridge Trail at 8:15. The object of this hike was to bushwhack to Carrigain Pond from the Desolation Trail on the backside of Mt. Carrigain, then summit The Captain and Mt. Carrigain returning via the Signal Ridge Trail. Dr. Wu wanted to be back at the car by 6:00 so we made few stops for food or pics. We took the Carrigain Notch Trail over the height of land past Lowell to the junction with the Desolation Trail. The Carrigain Notch trail had lots of blowdowns beyond the rock where the bushwhacks for Vose Spur begin and all the stream crossings were easy.

We climbed the Desolation trail to about 2850' where at about 10:45 we observed a faint herd path leaving the right side. This was about where he had planned to start our bushwhack so we left the trail and made our way south-west over the top of the ridge to the Carrigain Branch Ravine. We then traversed the north side of the ravine slowly gaining elevation as we made our way towards Carrigain Pond. By 3:30 we still hadn't reached the pond and it was clear we wouldn't be getting out by 6:00. The biggest problem we were having was the blowdowns, we just couldn't get away the them. Repeatedly we had to backtrack around real thick areas to find navigatable terrain. At around 4:00 we decided to give up on the Captain and just try to get out to a trail before dark. We considered several possible escape routes and eventually decided to head for the pond, then to the Carrigain/Captain col. As we approached the pond from the north we arrived at about a 150' high cliff...again we backtracked and eventually descended steep terrain to arrive on the northwest corner of the pond about halfway between the cliff and the beaver dam on the west end.

At the pond we were faced with another problem...well, it was more like a repeat of the earlier problems. There was no herd path around this side of the pond as expected and bushwhacking around was going to be very slow. I could see that the south side of the pond from the beaver pond to the col was fairly open, but how would we get over there. We still had too long of a hike ahead of us to risk getting our shoes soaked walking around the ponds edge. Then I had a brainstorm, :D remove our shoes and socks and walk around at the ponds edge to the beaver dam. It sounded like a good idea. As I was strapping my Stabilicers to my bare feet, easier said than done, Dr. Wu was putting sandals on his feet. I stepped into the water, which was very cold, and headed for the beaver dam. The water was really cold. I got about 25 feet and as the pain in my nearly frozen feet became unbearable I headed for shore because that water was just too #%&@$^ cold! I yelled to Dr. Wu not to get in the water, it was wayyy tooo cold. We put our shoes back on and after Dr. Wu made his way over to where I was, we continued to force-whack our way to the beaver dam. It took about 10 minutes to cover 150'.

We crossed the beaver dam with ease and made our way along the herd path on the south side of the pond past the campsite and towards the col between The Captain and Mt. Carrigain. Since we were both down to a liter or less of water, soda for me, we decided to get some water from a small stream along the way in case either of us ran out. I had iodine tablets in my first-aid kit should we need to treat and drink the water. We then made our way over the col to the east and attempted to descend into the bowl.

I had heard there was a cliff in the bowl on that north-west corner that was difficult to get around. As it turns out there is a series of cliffs all around the corner and after wasting nearly an hour trying to get around them we realized that our only way out was to try and reach the Signal Ridge Trail between the summit (4700') and the western end of the Signal Ridge (about 4200') which was nearly a mile away and we were only at 3350'. We had only been averaging about 1/4 mph thus far, and it was now 6:00. We started climbing.

Fortunately the woods were a little more open on this, the eastern side of the ridge than they had been on the other side, and more noticeably there were far fewer blowdowns on this side. We stopped to put our Stabilicers on because the sporadic ice we'd been encountering since we past 3200' had now become almost continuous. We climbed on...past 3500'...3800'...4200'. Somewhere above 4200' we realized we weren't going to pick up the trail near the west end of Signal ridge and that we'd have to hit it just below the summit. This was due to the deep ravine that separated the south ridge from Signal Ridge, but fortunately the woods were opening up more and more the higher we climbed.

We hit 4400' at about 7:15, just 1/2 hour till sunset. Dr. Wu announced he was out of water so I took out the 2/3 liter I had got at the brook and then removed the capsule from my first-aid kit that contained the iodine and neutralizer tablets. When I opened it up it appeared at some point during the last few months the tablets had gotten wet. Though the two different types were separated with a piece of cotton, all had turned white and were sticking together, and I was unable to tell which were which. Dr. Wu decided to risk it without the iodine. As of this afternoon he was still alive. ;)

Beyond 4400' it was obvious we were on a herd path and we continued at a fairly quick pace till we reached a campsite. Dr. Wu identified this as the South summit...only about 150 yds to the tower. We reached the tower on the summit of Mt. Carrigain just a few minutes before sunset, chatted with a camper next to the tower and took a few pics. It was clear we were both very thankful not be bushwhacking through impenetrable spruce in the dark as we had thought we might be.

The trip down the Signal Ridge Trail seemed to go fairly quickly to me. After having taken 11 1/2 hours to summit Carrigain, we were back at the parking lot around 10:15.(I think) It was a long and tiring hike, but well worth it...and I finally got to meet the legendary...or is it nortorious Dr. Wu. :D

You escaped us this time Captain, but we'll be back!

My pics are here.

nice way to break him(in)

As I recall, Wu doesn't have too much luck with the Captain. :D
Sorry I missed that one. :eek:
Let me know when you want to try again. I'll bring the Aqua-Mira.

Nice photos with the sun setting.
I knew it was gonna be nice, kinda wished we were still on the trail to see it.

Oh, and the photos (and captions) or Frank getting ready are hillarious too. :D

You guys continue to inspire us!!

You guys continue to inspire us!! Your TR's are great fun and always informative. I for one look forward to reading them. I see by USFS Road Status Sawyer River Road is open and pic's of Wu in parking lot looks like the Cardigan Trail Head. Could you just confirm Sawyer River Road is open? Mileage doesn't appear to mean much to you guys so one can never tell. :rolleyes:

Jazzbo said:
Could you just confirm Sawyer River Road is open?
Yes it is open at least as far as the Signal Ridge Trailhead for Mt. Carrigain.

Hamtero said:
Let me know when you want to try again.
How about this coming Saturday? :D

...and this time I'm leaving the snowshoes at home...and I think I'll leave the moose antlers where I found them as well. They get heavy after awhile. :rolleyes:

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
How about this coming Saturday? :D

...and this time I'm leaving the snowshoes at home...and I think I'll leave the moose antlers where I found them as well. They get heavy after awhile. :rolleyes:
Don't do that stupid route. Go up South Hancock and from col between South and Middle Hancock start the bushwhack from there. The woods are wide open -- I bw'd to about where it starts to get steep and it's real easy. The ridge around where the Captain is and the Pond is is really nice compared to the horrible crap between Desolation and Carrigain Pond. Avoid at all costs!! :D

I'd consider Hancock - Carrigain!! :D I'll put up some pictures tonight.

-Dr. Wu

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Yep...either Hancock > Captain > Carrigain or Carrigain > Captain > Carrigain. Either is fine with me.
Carrigain > Captain > Carrigain is much more logical than going from Desolation. Never again. Well, next time I follow the brook.

-Dr. Wu

Quite an adventure, guys.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
we realized that our only way out was to try and reach the Signal Ridge Trail between the summit (4700') and the western end of the Signal Ridge (about 4200') which was nearly a mile away and we were only at 3350'.
If you had the AMC map there is a logging road to about the red cross by the slide which was slightly closer and much less elevation gain :)
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=4883447&e=303631&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
That's the shortest approach to the pond & peak.

Dr. Wu identified this as the South summit...only about 150 yds to the tower.
More like the W summit, I think. I saw tracks up there yesterday and wondered what fool had been there :)

Jazzbo said:
Could you just confirm Sawyer River Road is open?
Open to usual end, lots more washboards beyond SR Trail.

RoySwkr said:
Quite an adventure, guys.

If you had the AMC map there is a logging road to about the red cross by the slide which was slightly closer and much less elevation gain :)
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=4883447&e=303631&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
That's the shortest approach to the pond & peak.

More like the W summit, I think. I saw tracks up there yesterday and wondered what fool had been there :)
That was a foolish way to get there although it was nice to walk Carrigain Notch again. Desolation to the pond was awful though. I went to (near) the west side of the Captain from the logging road you mention. The west side is a nightmare too. Based on the woods we saw yesterday, I imagine the east side isn't too bad. Going up Carrigain from the west wasn't bad though -- fun even although I'm exhausted. A lot of ascent. I'll never whack around the desolation ridge again. Any logging roads that were once there have been pretty well swallowed up!

My vision is about normal again. I hit my head on the way up to Carrigain and it was funny ever since -- problems focusing. But now it seems fine. I wish I had before and after photos though!! I look (and feel) like I was in a motorcycle accident!! I had a lot of explaining to do at work today, especially the mark on my forehead!!! :D :p

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Captain is a memorable trip even if things go well

I've been advised that the cliffs on the Captain to the S are very difficult if not a technical climb but cannot confirm by my own experience. From Carrigain Pond, the Captain is scrubby but not especially daunting. Getting to Carrigain Pond is more difficult, both my ascents were from Sawyer River Road through the big clearcut and were open (sort of) until we began the very steep headwall of the ravine. Even the ridge was open in places.

Great report and fun to read! It sounds to me like this one is at least the equal of Barren Mt which has had the reputation of being the awfullest. Pat and I started the New England 3K's 16 years ago with high hopes, but it sounds like everything is growing in as fast as we are slowing down.

Pictures, finally!

Last October, Tom Wheeler and I went over by the Captain via. Sawyer River Road / Carrigain Bowl -- just a few days before Tom's 66th (Happy Birthday to him!) We encountered nightmare spruce and also lousy conditions and with about 1/4 mile from The Captain we bailed and headed into Desolation Area, big mistake. It wasn't so horrible but the thick stuff gets discouraging after a while, especially when you're down low and still tangling with that crap. We walked out onto the Desolation Trail after about 8 hours or so and began the 9 mile walk to our car.

Last week, Bob (Nh_Mtn_Hiker) and I basically took the opposite route... walked Carrigain Notch to Desolation and headed off that ridge. No surprise (wtf was I thinking?) we encountered thick, discouraging spruce all the way to the pond. I'll never go back into Desolation again (off trail) except during a cold winter when the stream is frozen and you can just 'whack up it.

Anyway, Carrigain Pond --> Carrigain is nice though. It's a tough hike up (go onto the ridge b/ Captain and Carrigain and head up -- it ain't bad) off trail but pleasant enough and even pretty. The woods aren't nightmarish. Regardless of the elevation gain (Post'r Boy calls it "verticle flats!") if I ever go to Carrigain Pond again it'll be via. Carrigain. Although there are some intriguing routes on the west side of Carrigain... and a slide! :D :eek:

Anyway, after we hit the pond I had a nice trip. From the trailhead to Desolation I had a nice trip. From Desolation to Carrigain Pond I didn't have a nice trip. And from Carrigain Pond to Carrigain and then to trailhead I had a nice trip. Not bad. I was in a little trouble for showing up to my Jess's parents house for dinner at 1:30am and they were a little dismayed by the head injury, although my vision returned to normal about 3 days later, but overall things were fine. Good Trip. I'd go back. NH tried to this weekend! :eek: :D

Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/550185992NJOcWQ

-Dr. Wu

The two times I've gone to the Captain, we came in via the logging road that Roy mentions in his post, and it worked out ok. When we got to the end of the logging road we didn't ascend the slide, we followed the stream bed shown on the map towards the Carrigan/Captain col, because it was late August, the streambed was dry and we were basically able to use it as a trail just about to the headwall.

Arm and myself climbed the Captain yesterday via this same appoach, and we hit some nasty ledges heading up to the East col. We didn't follow the stream you mention, but we were up high well before we passed the slide. Tough area though with the ledges...

We did a loop from the East col over the summit, then across it, and down to the West col (which was thicker), then headed back down into the valley.

We followed the stream from the West col down (we actually paralled it 100 feet away for most of it), until we reached the valley, and finally the road.

This is a tough peak regardless of what route you choose...

Reactions: arm