Mount Rainier: June 3-5, 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
Chip Morrison and I climbed to the summit crater of Mount Rainier in Washington State this past Thursday morning 6/5/08. The following was written partly as a request by the local newspaper The Plymouth Record Enterprise but is presented here for the first, and I welcome your comments.

The Mountain
Mount Rainier is a stratovolcano in Washington State about 50 miles Southeast of Seattle. Viewing Mount Rainier from the air on the flight into Seattle was a wonderful experience. For first the four hours of the flight, the passengers on the airliner were relatively quiet with only the ever present monotonous hum of the jet engines making any impression. Mount Adams came into view to the passengers on the left side of the aircraft first. People in window seats, pointed it out to others next to them and there is a notable change in the tone and tenor of the crowd as people crane their necks to get a look and talk louder and more excitedly. The more distant and smaller Mount Hood in Oregon is next into view, but doesn’t impress like Adams. Many assume that Adams is Rainier and start to believe that the show is over. But then the awe truly begins as Rainier comes into view, closer than Adams, and at 14,410’ it dwarfs everything the eye can see. The other stratovolcanos visible are Mount Baker to the NNW at 10,781’, Glacier Peak is North at 10,541’, Mount Adams is SSW at 12,277’, Mount Hood is South in Oregon at 11,240’, and Mount St. Helens is SSW at 8,363’.

From the ground, everything around Rainier is huge. Chip aptly described the plentiful Douglas Fir trees as “freakishly tall” with trunks as much as 6’ around. I subsequently found that Doug Firs can reach heights of almost 400’. The cedars are almost as large. The Tatoosh Mountain Range to the South of Rainier has mountains over 6,500’. The snow drifts at Paradise ( 5,500’ elevation) were still 6’ high on the third of June. The porous layers of red, lava rock of the Cathedral Rock ridge on Rainier are clearly different from the solid, grey, granite of our beloved Mount Washington. One has to hike well above treeline to view these 400’ tall spines of rock and getting up close is a very humbling experience. Rainier is glaciated, with cravasses 200’ deep and wide, and seracs bigger than buses.

International Mountain Guides
Climbing Mount Rainier is certainly not of the undertaking of a Himalayan Peak, Mt. McKinley, etc. and is often considered an excellent training climb for those considering higher, more unforgiving peaks. Rainier is high enough to offer a thinner atmosphere and has a few miles of glaciers on all sides It is the fifth highest mountain in the lower 48 states, 84 feet lower than Mount Whitney in California. Hence, it can be a killer, with an annual death toll of three to five people. There are three organizations that guide groups up the mountain. Early on Chip and I decided that we would use a guide service to make logistics easier, the trip safer, and to increase our chances of reaching the summit. We chose International Mountain Guides (IMG) over the more well known Rainier Mountaineering, Inc. (RMI), largely because IMG offered a two day mountaineering course that fit into our tight schedule.

Guides Chris Meder and Greg Vernovage taught the mountaineering course to ten students of diverse backgrounds, experience, and expectations in a well paced, professional, and fun manner. We learned: knots, their philosophy of minimal multitask equipment, crevasse rescue including self rescue, snow anchors, pulley systems and ice axe use/self arrest techniques. There was ample opportunity to practice all of it. It was clear that Chris and Greg are dedicated, passionate teachers that work well together and are easy and fun to learn from. After this we were very happy we had chosen IMG.

Physical Conditioning
When one conceives an undertaking such as this there is always the nagging question “Can I do this?” We probably wouldn’t do a lot of things if we did not have this question in our heads. This trip was conceived about 8 months before we left, hence we had plenty of time to get in good physical shape. This included weight lifting, treadmill running, stair climbing, cycling, running, winter hiking in the Whites, and weight loss (I dropped from 235# to 220# for my 6’3” frame). There is a DVD available on getting in shape to hike Rainier. The important point to be made is that you must be in shape if you want to A.) summit and descend safely and B.) enjoy your time on the mountain.

The seven that showed up for our scheduled three day summit attempt illustrates the above. One fellow was not visibly out of shape, but admitted he had not done much for the past six months since he had hiked Kilimanjaro. He quit Mount Rainier after only a mile. Another was clearly overweight, out of shape, and he admitted it. He was able to make it to Camp Muir at 10,000’ but was totally spent and miserable by the time he got there an hour behind Chip and me. He went no further. Another was on National Ski Patrol and had done some cycling, but described no organized exercise program. He made the summit but had a very difficult time of it and made it known that he was not feeling good at all.

I feel I have a pretty good test of how well a New Englander will do on Rainier (via Paradise, Camp Muir, and Disappointment Cleaver). Complete a Presidential Range Traverse in good weather at least 5 weeks before you leave for Washington State. Of course, you will be tired when you finish, but you should not be totally spent. I got up the next morning knowing that I could finish another traverse should I choose. There is almost 9000’ of elevation gain and 18+ miles of hiking to both Rainier and the Presi-Traverse. The only thing you will not know is how you will react to less oxygen at 14K+ of altitude. As it turned out, the altitude was not an issue for Chip or me.

The mountaineering course ended on Saturday evening and Chip and I had two days to kill. We decided to hike the 4 miles from Paradise at 5500’ to Camp Muir at 10000’, hang out for a while, enjoy the views, and breath some oxygen depleted air for a while. It took us a smidge over four hours to get to up there and about 1:40 to get down. The weather was in the mid-forties with no wind at all. Overcast skies made for very warm hiking as we rose into the clouds quickly and had only 500’ visibility for most of the way up. I was my usual cautious self with the UV protection on my face, wrists and hands. So I thought! It was so warm that I had to undo the side leg zips on my soft-shell pants never giving it a thought. The sunburn I received on the side of my knees and thighs was very painful and woke me up that night. It still hurts, more than a week later.

Last edited:
The Climb
Monday was laundry day and an organizational meeting at IMG. Our group (initially seven) was to be led by Ben Kurdt, assisted by Greg, Chris, and Andy Polloczek. Our packs weighed in at about 42 lbs full kit. Tents, sleeping pads, breakfasts and dinners were provided by IMG. We all carried some group food but my appropriation weighed less than 3 lbs..

We left from IMG headquarters in Ashford in one of their 15 passenger vans about 8 a.m. and hit the trail at Paradise by 9:30 am. And reached Camp Muir and our bunkhouse about 3:30 pm. It was here that the advantage of using IMG and their guides became apparent. We were given firm instructions to drink at least a liter of water and relax a bit. Greg came by the bunkhouse less than an hour later with a great tasting potato porridge. 45 minutes after that we were eating a turkey/snap pea stew with mashed potatoes, stuffing, and gravy. It tasted great!

We visited with the guides who have accomplished backgrounds and they got to know us. All have guided Rainier many times, and most have been to or guided in South America, Mexico, Mt. McKinley, Kilimanjaro, Europe and the Himalayas. Greg coached the Men’s Olympic Beach Volleyball Team to a gold medal in the Sydney games in 2000. Chris recently resigned from an engineering job at Boeing to guide full time for IMG. Andy was born and raised Germany, and guided in Alaska for a few years before landing with IMG in Ashford. They all got along very well with us and each other and shared the work amongst themselves. They were firm in their recommendations, but friendly and never condescending or arrogant. Each was a real class act in very different ways. Their toughness became apparent the next two days, as Greg carried an additional pack more than halfway to the top when that climber became too tired to carry it. Ben short roped the climber to the top, while Chris and Andy short roped another whose knees began to slow him to the top and much of the way down.

During the night I woke up and wondered if I was feeling a bit nauseous and headachy from the altitude. But I decided I just had to pee, took care of that, and went back to sleep. The next morning was beautiful, took some pictures, poked around Camp Muir for a bit and then the guides had a big breakfast of bacon and pancakes for us. I can’t tell you how good it all tasted, other than to say it was wonderful, and I will remember it for a very long time.

We then had training with the ice axe/self arrest, walking with crampons, rest step, and roping into the harness. Our group (now only 5 clients and 4 guides) headed off to the Ingraham Glacier and Ingraham Flats about noon and got there about 1:30p.m. Here the views of Little Tahoma, the 4th highest peak in Washington, were beautiful. We were given a pasta dinner, an organizational meeting and we were into our tents by 7:00pm.

I slept only about an hour, Ben woke us about 2:15am and we hit the trail at 3:30am. The weather was cold, and still, but after about an hour it became apparent that we were between two cloud decks. While climbing Disappointment Cleaver we rose into the upper clouds and the wind brought freezing wet snow. Rime ice formed on my goggles such that I had to clear it several times with my ice axe. We reached the summit crater about 8:15am. I felt great: warm, dry, and comfortable the only downside being I could not get the rime off my goggles by flexing them and had to keep scraping them. Chip and I requested to proceed to the true summit but the guides instantly put the kybosh on that. We ducked into a steam vent cave where the temperature was about 50 degrees. It was only marginally more comfortable in the cave because everything was so wet and clammy. Chip got some pictures in the cave but it looks like we are on a spelunking expedition rather than hiking Mount Rainier.

We headed down and the weather became more comfortable by the top of Disappointment Cleaver. The Cleaver is the steepest part of the route, however a fixed rope is present and that makes the descent much more comfortable. But then things changed again by the time we got to Camp Muir as the wind rose to 50 mph., with 200 foot visibility for the final four miles into Paradise.

Chip and I made it up and down safely and comfortably. It would have been nice to get some views at the top, but then again you can’t have everything.

Pictures

Last edited:
Nice repot - congrats guys. :) Like -I told you both, you would be fine condition wise, its a challenge, but one easily done with proper conditioning and skills. w/o views the true summit is no big deal - long flat half mile walk though the crater. you didn't miss anything.

glad you had fun - the cascades are very addiciting.

I have been thinking of you guys....I am glad you had a great time. Now we need to hear from Chip.....

Nice photo of a Grey Crowned Roseyfinch BTW.

Paradox said:
Chip and I made it up and down safely and comfortably. It would have been nice to get some views at the top, but then again you can’t have everything.
Nice, but I guess that means that you will have to go back... :)

Doug

Woohoo, I'll have to see the pictures later, but glad you two had great fitness and a good trip... Food sounds yummy.

Hope you're having fun in the heat and using the bike mirror... ;)

Jay

Nice report, John, perhaps a bit disjointed as you move in and out of time frames, but good details.

I just finished looking through my pics and will post them tonight. One of the issues on a trip like this is who you are traveling with. This can make the down time a joy or a misery. At our first breakfast in Ashland I was considering Eggs Benedict. John asked if I'd get the chrome plate. Confused, I ignored him. After I ordered, he again inquired as to if I'd gotten the chrome plate. "What are you talking about ?" I responded. John quipped back "There's no plates like chrome for the Hollandaise !" :D

And so it began. I quickly learned John's comments fall into 3 categories; common puns and turns of phrase (too easy), clever or fairly obscure puns and turns of phrase (engaging and entertaining) and serious, educated comments (really irritating as you try to figure out the pun). ;)

Our trip went as well as could be hoped for other than the true summit and views from the top. I got great pics at Paradise, Muir and Ingraham and a couple good ones at sunrise on the way to the summit. We had planned to hike Mt St Helens on friday out of Cougar, but it was pouring rain (no great surprise). We drove around to the Visitor Center/Observation side and then back to Cougar and Ape Caves friday afternoon.

I'm glad we used IMG. I admire you who have organized and executed these climbs on your own. That's a whole different level, one that would add to your sense of accomplishment, but not one I would recommend for most, especially their first time on a mountain like Rainier.

Last edited:
Chip said:
I can't see Paradox's pics yet. Is there one of the blue and black cardinal looking bird ? I've got some. What's that called ?
Did it look like this? If so, it's a Clark's Nutcracker. Same family as grey jays, only more brash.
800px-Clark's_Nutcracker_-_Nucifraga_columbiana.jpg

no, they were these. Some sort of Jay or cardinal. Something LARGE flew over our tents at Ingraham wednesday night too. Lots of grouse on the way up to paradise, and elk and deer. I got a shot of a marmut above Panorama.

Yup, it's a jay. I think that variety is called a Stellar's Jay. I don't remember if it's the same one you see lots of in the Sierra - was it slightly iridescent?

Edit - here's a picture of a Stellar jay:

Sjay.jpg

Last edited:
Chugach001 said:
I have been up there in summer and winter and never saw a darn thing - always a white-out.
there were several groups just before and after us that got worse weather. next time I'd like to schedule a few days at Ingraham, or some other staging area, to try to insure a clear summit.

Chugach001 said:
Congratulations on a great summit. I think the rim counts.

Jeff
thanks. Naturally I'd prefer to have signed the register and have a 200 mile view, but the rim does count as a summit for the guides, at least. It's a big deal for them. One of the owners of IMG is close to 500 summits and a number of their guides are over 100. They advertise these, so I'm confident it's accepted.

The main thing was that there was no way 2 in our group would make the round trip to the "true" and then down, so they'd have to be left behind to chill while we went on, or split up the group and the guides avoid that at nearly all cost.

Last edited:
of course, the point where the route from Camp Muir (or the ingraham glacier) is called "point success" You didn't pack camping supplies to camp in the crater rim? :p I think we ran into a pair who did just that, they had a great night to camp there I think as SherpaK and I spent one more night on the way down.

Jay

Chip said:
I'm glad we used IMG. I admire you who have organized and executed these climbs on your own. That's a whole different level, one that would add to your sense of accomplishment, but not one I would recommend for most, especially their first time on a mountain like Rainier.
Concur. It was nice to be able to sit in the proverbial rocking chair and think only of yourself and the next bad joke. I did not have to worry about logistics, food, or even what to wear. :D

Last edited: