Millinocket lodging, meals

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I have Baxter reservations for next Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed (Sept. 7-10), but I guess that's just might be when the remnant of Hurricane whatever-it's-name-is will get there, so I want to get to Millinocket and stay Saturday night to get a real early start Sunday, in case it's the only nice day.

1) Suggestions for reasonable place to stay in Millinocket or East Millinocket or nearby? I've stayed at the the Big Moose Inn just south of the park, but I don't want to be locked in to their restaurant ($$). Best would be a "drop in" place (i.e unlikely to be full the weekend after Labor Day) where I won't need a reservation if I don't make it up there in time.

2) Places to eat? All I know is the AT diner (or whatever it's called). Anything else you'd recommend? We're not talking about the Rainbow Room, just reasonable food at reasonable prices. What about an early breakfast so I can make it up to the gate when it opens?

3) When does the gate open?

4) What have I forgotten to ask?

Thanks

I like the Terraces in Millinocket. They also have an early breakfast which is reasonable. Their dinner meals are pricey. Have also stayed in the motel just off the interstate (on the right) - was fine, but a bit longer to travel.

Am not sure when the gate opens - check the Baxter website/give them a call to be certain, as later in the season it tends to open earlier on weekends. Give yourself an hour to drive from Millinocket to the gate. That makes getting an early breakfast in town difficult if you want to get to the gate when it opens. Typically it also takes an hour or so after leaving the gate to get to your trailhead du jour.

AT Lodge

I have stayed at the AT Lodge. Very inexpensive and they also own the AT Tavern just down the streeet. Of course you will have to tolerate other hikers since they service AT Thruhikers.

The place right off the interstate in Medway is the Gateway Inn. Very good place. As noted, bit of a longer drive since you're on the eastern edge of East M'nocket, but if you're going to be shooting for the moment the gate opens, you'll be too early for any restaurant breakfast, and your only option might be gas station breakfast, and this way you definitely pass them all.

Kevin Rooney said:
I like the Terraces in Millinocket. They also have an early breakfast which is reasonable. Their dinner meals are pricey. Have also stayed in the motel just off the interstate (on the right) - was fine, but a bit longer to travel.

Am not sure when the gate opens - check the Baxter website/give them a call to be certain, as later in the season it tends to open earlier on weekends. Give yourself an hour to drive from Millinocket to the gate. That makes getting an early breakfast in town difficult if you want to get to the gate when it opens. Typically it also takes an hour or so after leaving the gate to get to your trailhead du jour.

http://www.sledmaine.com/accommod/terrace/terrace.htm

They do have a breakfast buffet but not sure if it would be early enough for the gate. However, the owners seem to be nice enough that they may make accomodations. They allowed me to stash some stuff there while I was in the park this past winter.

The AT Cafe is also an excellent place to eat and browse the photos..

The library in Millinocket has a PC(s) and internet access...

Across the street from Hotel Terrace is a small deli and pizzeria, if you can't get the buffet early enough you can buy some food for your early morning breakfast there...

Jay

The Rviers Drivers restauraunt on a side road between Millinocket and East Millinocket is great (but expensive). Not somewhere to eat everyday, but if you want to splurge thats the place.

Gate normally opens around 5:30-6'ish if I recall correctly from all the times I have been in line. Maybe even a little earlier, last time I was there I started my hike prior to sunrise.

PB -

For a cheap post-hike pig-out, you can grab pizza at Angelo's Pizza Grille on 118 Penobscot Street, in downtown Millinocket. It is a basic takeout pizza joint, but the pizza was good, the beer was cold, the prices were cheap and the folks were very friendly to three sweaty hikers.

Have a great time!

Marty

Papa Bear said:
I have Baxter reservations for next Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed (Sept. 7-10),
Hi PB,
Stop by the AT Cafe the night before, and sit at counter. Hope you get to meet new owners Paul (OleMan) & Jaime (NaviGator). Buy some doughnuts for the next day's b'fast. For local color, stop in at the Scootic Inn and Blue Ox Saloon, and be sure to tell everyone you're from Boston.
Nobody in town serves b'fast early enough to eat and get to Park gate before it opens. On second thought, McDonald's might.
Stay outside of town halfway to the Park at the Big Moose Inn, (207) 723-8391, www.bigmoosecabins.com
If you just have to eat something hot, stop at Touge Pond and cook it yourself on the picnic tables. Or wait and use the tables at your campground. Where are you staying?
The Park gate is only 18 miles from Millinocket. Don't drive too fast after leaving town, because there will be moose.
In September the gates open at 6, an hour later than they did in the summertime.
Tell Ranger White at Kathdin Stream TJ says hi.
Have fun!

The big concrete bunker behind the RiteAid and dollar store in Millinocket. Katahdin Inn, I think. Woman behind counter gave me the AAA discount last time despite my membership having expired and not even having a card. Never seems crowded, but I’ve usually run into some obvious thru-hikers while I’ve been there. Early continental breakfast — five a.m. Is that early enough? I had time to get out to the Marston Trail and climb to Fort and back in mid-September, sun was still well up when I finished, and I’m not particularly fast.

CORRECTION: I checked my notes when I got home, and changed the time above. I got up that morning at five o’clock, so that must have been the time the breakfast bar opened. I was under way for the drive to the park at 6:15 (I had to go back because I realized right after I pulled away that I’d forgotten my camera, so I went back for it). I was back at my car at the end of my hike at 5:05 p.m., for whatever that’s worth.

The inn doesn’t look like much from the outside, but it’s quiet inside. There is a strong chlorine smell from the pool, which is right next to the breakfast area. No chlorine stink in the room, anyway.

Hotel Terrace had a real cheap buffet breakfast, but I don’t remember what time it began. Haven’t stayed there since at least as far back as 1997, possibly ’96.

Last edited:
One note on the AT Cafe ... it's wonderful, inexpensive food and I highly recommend it, but make sure to allow yourself *plenty of time* there. I don't think I've ever had a breakfast there shorter than an hour.

Raymond said:
The big concrete bunker behind the RiteAid and dollar store in Millinocket. Katahdin Inn, I think.

Just for the record, the KI is the finest example of early Soviet architecture in the U.S. You gotta wonder who designed the thing. But, as Raymond says, it is very hiker-friendly and sees a lot of us. My last stay there was to participate in The Line, the January line-up for best spots at BSP. The KI parking lot accommodated the tenters who ironically toughed out below zero temps to get the cushiest cabins at Baxter. Historic place, the KI. Also allows dogs.