Spot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceNsnow

Reaction score
I am considering getting a SPOT messaging system for when I'm in the woods alone. They cost about $100 (after $50 rebate :)), have an annual fee of another $100 and seem like "essential" gear.

Does anyone have experience using one?

It seems advantageous to send status updates as well as location updates even if no emergency rescue is needed.

Are there other systems that are similar?

I will check out the SummitPost link.

I realize it was discussed a bit before, but that was a while ago - before many have used it and before the $50 price drop.

My interest would be in sending OK messages to concerned parties. (My husband already told me that it better have an IGNORE button, for when he is in meetings , eatting or watching TERMINATOR?!)

I think it would be excellent for summit checks so that someone could monitor your progress as the day progressed.

My interest would be in sending OK messages to concerned parties. (My husband already told me that it better have an IGNORE button, for when he is in meetings , eatting or watching TERMINATOR?!)
I think it just posts your location on a website so you have to query the website. I don't think most people would want an email every 10 minutes... (IIRC, the message buttons do send an email.)

Like a cell phone, it won't work everywhere/all the time, but if that is what you want, it is better than nothing.

IIRC, Mats Roing used one on his recent attempt to speed-hike the NH 4Ks. His report (including comments from people who were tracking him) is here somewhere.

Doug

I think we should all get one and link them here. We'd end up with our own Marauder's Map. "Mischief Accomplished !"

SPOT claims "99% OR BETTER PROBABILIITY OF SUCCESSFULLY SENDING A SINGLE MESSAGE WITHIN 20 MINUTES" for most of the world, obviously YRMV !

I've been following some threads on west coast BB's re: the SPOTS. Several people use them, and seem to be, more or less, satisfied with them. Apparently it's REALLY important to follow the manufacturer's instructions, especially the placement of it. As I recall, the best location is attached level to the top of one's pack. Apparently LEVEL is rather important, if I understand the posts correctly.

There seems to be a general consensus on these BB's that while the SPOT has a place for some, it will gain much wider acceptance when the next generation is released.

The next generation

Maybe this $50 rebate could be sign Spot is trying to sell off inventories to make way for the 2nd generation. I for one have been waiting for the 2nd generation that solves some of the problems folks are experiencing with #1. The Spot has been out for something better than 1 year now so they're about due to come out with #2.

Or I've just seen discounted ipods. This could also be further symptom of economic meltdown. Might be a lot of high dollar items getting discounted in next few months. Deflation anyone? :eek: :confused: