Mahoosuc Trail- Bridge Closed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Reaction score
NH BOT is replacing the footbridge under the rail trail trestle going over the Androscoggin from Rte. 16.

Public is not permitted to cross during construction.

Hope to have it buttoned up enough to allow access by end of day tomorrow (Friday). Sorry- I should have posted this sooner, work started earlier this week.

I am very glad that this is being done. Initially, they were going to take the pedestrian bridge out and use the rail trail parking about a mile west on RT 2 as the access point to the river crossing. I wonder if they will alter the X braces on either side to cut down on the crawling?

Looks like the braces are staying as the decking is exactly at the same level as the old. New deck is steel grates so not good for paws.

I should have mentioned Town of Gorham employees are also working on it.

Did the Mahoosic trail ever get reopened across the canal? Otherwise, isn't it a long way around, if it goes anywhere at all?

Re the Mahoosuc trail. The official status remains as before.

The "official" AMC mahoosuc trail still starts along the Hogan road on the east side of the hydro canal. The section from that point to RT 2 is still "officially closed". ;) In actuality there is a large sign directing hikers up a steep gravel slope to the old railroad bed immediately after you cross the railroad trestle. Follow the railroad bed until it crosses the canal. Immediately after crossing the bridge, take a right (past the old chevy) and come out on the Hogan road that is colocated with the power lines, then head south along the river until you meet the official trailhead. Due to land ownership in the area and lack of interest/resources, I dont see this changing anytime soon.

My longtime concern is that the route back to the trestle is not obvious to anyone coming down off the Mahoosuc trail. Given that this is an obvious short cut to civilization, someone in trouble on the Mahoosuc may take the trail down and get stranded at the river bank. The old route over the hydro dam is fenced off quite well leading a person to either try to swim the canal or get lost within hearing distance of Gorham.

The last of the steel decking was placed on the trestle bridge yesterday about noon, so the footway was completed to a level better than ever. There were a few minor details and I left before the caution tape/ barriers were removed- so I wasn't sure if the project chief was offcially reopening. Asked Clint from the Trails Bureau today if it had been reopened, he said that was his intent, but he was not there yesterday at the end of the day. If someone drives by and doesn't see a wooden horse/ caution tape across the approach ramp- then it's open.

I didn't go that way today.

Reactions: arm