Cascade 1/10 aka Scaring Snowshoers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedan

Reaction score
1/10/09 Cascade Mtn, Adks.

Weather: -15F at trailhead, bluebird skies, warmed up nicely once sun crested ridgeline. No wind at the summit, mid teens and very comfortable eating a leisurely lunch in the sun.

Trail conditions: Less than 1' and boney down low, hardpacked trail all the way to treeline. Snow depth increased as elevation gained. On ridge leading to summit 3-4' bulletproof base with 6" or so of powder on top. Above treeline to the summit little snow, glazed with ice and rime.

TR: My wife and I were asked to accompany a group of novice winter hikers on what was the first winter summit for several. The group snowshoed but my wife and I skinned up on our tele gear. Easy, fast travel on the way up. The group all summited, we had to provide assistance to a few who had never used crampons to get up a few icy steps to the summit. All summited, had a nice lunch in the sun admiring the beautiful views. Many other groups snowshoed up to the summit also. My wife and I skied down, I got a few turns above treeline and on the buried summit ridgeline before the steep boney section. Suprised several groups skiing the trail. As I would round a corner, they would scatter fearing be run down by some maniac on skis but I stay in control and can stop on a dime, an essential skill for trail skiing. Most didn't think it possible to ski the trail but all in all a typical day of survival skiing on the trails. Booted the hardpacked trail down steep rocky section to avoid destroying skis completely. Add about 6" to trail conditions from Sundays new snow.

So many great ski objectives in this picture alone.
P1100076.jpg

Crusted summit
P1100079.jpg

The fast way down
Cascade043.jpg

Hey that's great! Good shots, too. That spot was my kids' first 4k (in August), and a real beauty at the top, too.

Glad you can stop quickly! That deep tele lunge looks like you mean it.

--M.

1/10/09 Cascade Mtn, Adks. No wind at the summit, mid teens and very comfortable eating a leisurely lunch in the sun.
I'm sorry, but if there was no wind, either it was not really Cascade, or it simply does not count! :eek:

Ok, I was there once w/o wind, but it's also been so windy there I thought I was going to simply sail away!

Awesome!
I had my first snowboarding lesson last week, (I know a lot different than skiing), and have a whole new respect for those of you that make it look so easy....on skis and boards!