Going to Jackson . . . and Slightly Beyond (14-Jan-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Trying to keep up with the ever changing weather forecasts (particularly above the notches) is sort of like trying to hit a moving target! Just an hour before our hike, Steve and I eventually settled on doing a mild-mannered trek to Mt. Jackson. From what we could gather, this area of the Whites seemed to offer a reasonable chance at getting some views on this particular day.

We got on the trail shortly before 10 AM and made good time up to Bugle Cliff. I might not have the story quite right, but I think this spot was so-named because of a quaint custom that used to be in place at the old Crawford House. From this cliff, a bugler would provide a "wake-up" call to the hotel guests. Here is a snapshot showing a modern day version of the bugler's view (except I doubt he bugled in the winter!:rolleyes:)

Bugler's View from Bugle Cliff
P1030654.JPG

With the brilliant white of the snow-laden trees contrasting against the deep-blue sky, it was a beautiful trek all the way to the summit of Jackson. At one point, the trail went through a tunnel formed by trees bent over from the snow load.

Caution! Low Clearance Tunnel Ahead
P1030670.JPG

When we arrived at the summit, there was only a slight whisper of a breeze, but things above us were rapidly moving. Peaks would appear and disappear in the clouds which were constantly on the move from place to place. By playing a game of "peek-a-boo" with the clouds, we were eventually able to get the traditional shot looking up the southern Presidential Range toward Mt. Washington.

Traditional Winter View of Southern Presidentials from Mt Jackson
P1030686.JPG

And, in between fluctuating cloud-cover, we were also able to work in some other shots, such as the Willey Range, and southward toward Chocorua.

P1030678.JPG
P1030692.JPG

However, for the most part, the peaks to the west of us remained in the clouds. Here is a snapshot looking westward over Mts. Willard and Avalon toward Mt. Tom.

Westward View Overlooking Mts Willard & Avalon toward Mt Tom
P1030680.JPG

Of course, it's almost a given that on Mt. Jackson you'll get some nice Gray Jay snapshots.

P1030701.JPG

Steve and I are rarely content to do just a simple "out & back" hike to a peak. So, to add a little something extra to our trip, we decided to break-out the trail on the north side of Mt. Jackson and head about 0.4 mile down to the flat boggy area in order to get some slightly different views from there. When we arrived at the bog, there were no clouds whatsoever over the Presidential Range. Here is a photo taken from that location.

Southern Presidentials from Bog to the North of Mt Jackson's Summit
P1030728.JPG

Although the Presidential view was impressive, it was equally impressive to see the gathering of snow sculptures created by none other than "Mother Nature" herself. Below is photo showing a typical gathering of these works of art.

A Congregation of Snow Sculptures
P1030671.JPG

And, here is a close-up shot which shows the "facial-features" of these beautiful creations.

Close-Up Snapshot of Snow Sculpture's "Facial Features"
P1030727.JPG

Another great day in the Whites!

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Good grief John! Who knew the color white could be so entrancing! Extremely impressive!

This might have been the most simultaneous posting you and Steve had. You posted at 1:26pm, so I rushed to Steve's site:

http://www.mountainwandering.blogspot.com/

and his was up already too, but there's no time shown when he did it. Might just the best TR one can find in two places.

Great pictures. I love that the snow sculptures look like white "Hoodoos" (a la Bryce Canyon). I also love the gray jay picture - not the one on your hand but the other fellow that waiting in the wings.

Scott: Thanks for your kind words!

Chris: Loved your pun about liking the gray jay picture, i.e. not the jay on my hand "but the other fellow waiting in the wings".

Clay: Thanks for posting the photo of the Utah hoodoos. Hmmm! My guess is that the orange hoodoos have a much longer life span than the white ones!

Donna: Jackson is a wonderful peak for hiking year round, and it's especially nice for a winter 4K hike. So, it's easy to understand why it was chosen as the first one you did.

Mark: Thanks for your nice words. And wow! I just read your Trip Report and see that you and your group also had an excellent hike in the Presidential Range on the same day!

Kevin: You don't know how close we came to meeting each other! I was all primed to hike the Kinsmans on the 14th, but opted instead to join Steve on his trek to Mt. Jackson. Sorry you didn't get any good views, but you had good companionship which is even more important!

Wow, those are some great shots, John! Love those Ice Sculptures! Glad to see the sun was out west of the Franconias! :)