Nothing Fancy . . . Just a Simple Out & Back Trek to Guyot (21-Jun-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Sometimes I like to do a hike where I can just put myself into "2 heel drive" and do a straightforward hike with nothing fancy about it.
So, an out & back trek to Mt. Guyot through the "Land of the Z's" was a perfect fit for what I had in mind.
Of course, the term "Land of the Z's" is used because hiking to Guyot from the Zealand trailhead involves passing by Z-Pond, Z-Falls, Z-Hut, Z-Cliff, Z-Mountain . . . am I forgetting any?:confused:

Most everyone on this Forum has been to all Z-places named above, and so I won't bore you with a barrage of familiar snapshots. Shown below are just a few photos with a short comment about each.

The view toward Carrigain Notch from the Zeacliff viewpoint is one of my favorite views in the Whites.

P1050745.JPG

And from that same location, the view of Whitewall Mountain is another favorite.

P1050746.JPG

Come to think of it, I also like the view from that short bushwhack off the Twinway where the vista is somewhat similar, except Zeacliff Pond is in the foreground.

P1050814.JPG

And then regarding Guyot, I like the view of this mountain as you approach it.

P1050759.JPG

As far as views from this mountaintop, it's really tough to select a favorite since there are so many terrific vistas in all directions.
Don't know why exactly, but for me, one of the more interesting perspectives is the view toward South Twin.

P1050783.JPG

There are just tons of stunning views into the vastness of the Pemigewasset Wilderness, like the one shown below. There's no way I could pick a favorite.

P1050786.JPG

Oh! And talk about wilderness, by zooming in, I was able to get a fairly decent snapshot of Red Rock Pond which is remotely tucked away at the head of that large basin SW of the Twinway (between Guyot and South Twin).

P1050780.JPG

And of course, while traveling through the "Land of the Z's", I had to make a stop to take in the view from Zealand Mountain. Here it is! Look familiar?!:rolleyes::)

P1050757.JPG

During the course of the day, I did have one encounter with wildlife, but nothing quite as exciting as a moose or a bear. As I rounded a bend, I saw a grouse in the middle of the trail. I expected it to fly away, or perhaps go into attack mode. But none of those things happened. This attractive lady just slowly walked down the path in front of me for about a hundred feet, and then veered off into the woods. I assume she was merely leading me away from her chicks. Her attitude impressed me. It was very calm and matter of fact.
With all the hiker traffic on the Twinway, perhaps this has become just a boring routine for her!! Like, oh geez, here comes another one!!

P1050756.JPG

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Great report and pics, as always. I was up there two or three weeks ago. We actually ran into a pine marten only 0.2 mile above the hut. Seemed like an odd place for such a normally elusive animal.

Did you go down to Zealand Pond? I've never been able to convince the company I was with to do so because the day ahead was already intimidating enough for them. Is it a nice pond as seen from its edges? Any views from the Pond?

Great report and pics, as always . . . Did you go down to Zealand Pond? I've never been able to convince the company I was with to do so because the day ahead was already intimidating enough for them. Is it a nice pond as seen from its edges? Any views from the Pond?
Yes, I did go down to the pond. However, I only took one snapshot (see below) which is looking at the end of the pond where the cliffs are located. The other end of the pond isn't all that attractive (at least to me). It sort of fades away into swampland.

P1050826.JPG
I enjoy the view from that short BW off the Twinway as well. Discovered it while BWing from Zealand to the hut in March.
Tim, if I recall correctly (and no guarantee about that!:rolleyes::D), I think your bushwhack was somewhat involuntary due to the blowdown situation on the Twinway. Regardless, all the blowdowns have been removed, and from the amount of woodchips and tree debris on the side of the trail, it's easy to see that there was a lot of blowdown removal work that needed to be done.
Amazing Photos! As for Zealand looking familiar...sure doesn't since I haven't been there before. Feel free to "bore" us with as many photos as you can, they are outstanding. Looking forward to mine and my wifes Hut to Hut trip this summer and Thanks for giving us a little glimpse of what we have to look forward to.
Glad you liked the photos. Best wishes to you and your wife for a terrific Hut-to-Hut trip this summer. I'm certain you'll enjoy the views. They are even better in-person!

"Bore"? Yea, beautiful weather and wildlife all captured in great color, nice angles, all in a wonderful canvass:D! and commentary to boot!

Thanks for the pics John, Michele and I are hiking a part of this same route in July. She has never been in this part of the Whites before so she really enjoyed the pics. Mine, on the otherhand from the last time I was over by Zealand are few and far between, on account of a Zealand-Bonds traverse as I clamored for cover on occasion as late afternoon thunderstorms were popping up, so these pics are great.

Gorgeous photos! Have they started the bog bridge work on the Twinway up on the ridge?

Great photos, John. Thanks for posting.

I love the varied terrain through that area, climbing from Zealand to Guyot. Hardwood forests and beaver ponds to Boreal forest and alpine zone, with breathtaking views mixed in between.

OK, so it wasn't my plan to BW from Zealand to the hut :rolleyes:, but there was a drunken sailor's snowshoe track (had met said sailor on West Bond) so we knew EVENTUALLY it would lead us to the hut.... Even on the trail, when we did see traces of blazes, it wasn't easy to follow, and we were constantly ducking under low branches... recall the Zealand sign was sitting on the snow.

Tim

"Bore"? Yea, beautiful weather and wildlife all captured in great color, nice angles, all in a wonderful canvass:D! and commentary to boot! . . . Thanks for the pics John, Michele and I are hiking a part of this same route in July.
Hey Scott . . . heaps of thanks for your kind comments! Regardless of which part of the route you and Michele hike in July, you're in for a real treat. Enjoy and savor, as I'm sure you will!:)
Beautiful photos, and great TR!
Thank you Jonathan . . . much appreciated!
Gorgeous photos! Have they started the bog bridge work on the Twinway up on the ridge?
There was no evidence that I saw of any recent bog bridge work on the section of the Twinway that I hiked. I did notice a load of boards off in the woods at the junction of the Twinway/Ethan Pond Trail/Zealand Trail. However, I assume that those boards will probably be used to replace the deteriorating bog bridges at the beginning of the Twinway as you make your way up to the Zealand Hut. If there were other stashes of boards up on the ridge, then I missed seeing them (which is entirely possible!).
Great photos, John. Thanks for posting . . . I love the varied terrain through that area, climbing from Zealand to Guyot. Hardwood forests and beaver ponds to Boreal forest and alpine zone, with breathtaking views mixed in between.
Right you are Todd! Along the route that I took, there is just about everything that the Whites have to offer. Like you said, hardwood forests, beaver ponds, boreal forest, alpine zone, breathtaking views. There are all those things, plus an impressive waterfall, and a spectacular cliff thrown in for good measure. Hey, what else can you ask for?:)
OK, so it wasn't my plan to BW from Zealand to the hut :rolleyes:, but there was a drunken sailor's snowshoe track (had met said sailor on West Bond) so we knew EVENTUALLY it would lead us to the hut.... Even on the trail, when we did see traces of blazes, it wasn't easy to follow, and we were constantly ducking under low branches... recall the Zealand sign was sitting on the snow.
Quite a memorable trip, Tim! Guess it's a good thing that the drunken sailor didn't set you adrift by leading you into a drift.:rolleyes:

If there were other stashes of boards up on the ridge, then I missed seeing them (which is entirely possible!).

Yup, there were at least two drops up there between the "knob above the pond" and the Zealand summit spur that I saw three weeks ago. There are definitely a few stretches in there that could use it.

Yup, there were at least two drops up there between the "knob above the pond" and the Zealand summit spur that I saw three weeks ago. There are definitely a few stretches in there that could use it.
Michael, if I'm correctly interpreting the text below from the AMC Trails Blogspot, then it looks like the work on the Twinway bog bridges is imminent. As you correctly state, there are several spots up there where this work is needed!

TEXT FROM amctrails.blogspot.com/
The Camp Dodge staff has now completed its last week of training and the first of the volunteer crews are underway. Last week was a busy week for the Dodge Staff as the final preparations were made; cleaning the camp, testing the gear, and checking the tools. The first of the volunteer crews arrived Sunday evening and left for work on Monday morning. Two of the crews are spike crews which are base camping at their work site while one of the crews is staying at Camp Dodge. Both of the spike crews are building bog bridges, on Twinway and Wildcat River Trail respectively. The crew that is staying at Dodge is doing rock work on the Great Gulf trail. So far the week has gotten off to a great start as the crews quarry rocks, fell trees, and begin their projects.
6.23.2010 Posted by Fiona Jensen at 12:22 PM

Last edited: