The Trap Dike before and after

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdRiverRun

Reaction score
I hiked up the Trap Dike a few days before Irene hit and took a series of photos (34) that now serve as the before, and I climbed it on 9/14 with Inge and took 90+. I also have 5 videos of the before and roughly 28 after. It will take awhile to upload all the video but I will try to have it done by Wednesday. I'll let the pictures and video tell the story for the most part.

Before pictures

After pictures

Wow, those are incredible photos, especially the afters!

So would you say that the Trap Dike is still doable by the same hikers who did it last summer? It seems to be a quantum step more difficult near the exit, based on the photos; would you say that's true?

Also, how much of the remaining mud, soil & debris do you think will wash clean off the steeper faces by next year (5 years, 50 years)?

And it seems you would probably say it's now an easier ski than before? Could one theoretically ski all the way out onto the lake? Are there still belay spots where the skiing is either just jump-turns or is even roped (as we saw last year)?

Great shots, thanks! Congrats on a gutsy performance!

wow, many thanks for the pics....

my memory is really hazy on this one--it's been 35-40? years since i last climbed the Dyke and while the before pics stir faint memories, the "afters" look like nothing i ever saw there--we used to stay in the Dyke as long as possible so as not to be on steep slabs too much

thanks again
jim

Last edited:
Great photo documentary! Kinda like going up the barrel of a smoking gun.

What are those Lasportivas of Inge's?

My impressions:

On Before: maybe someday I will have the nerve to climb the Trap Dyke

On After: I seriously doubt I will ever climb the Trap Dyke

VERY cool photos of Inge on those steep slabs

I believe those are La Sportiva Raptors?

geez, what a mess it is now. wonder how it'll ice up this winter. thanks for posting!