Question about Alander Mt, Mounts Race and Everett

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundare

Reaction score
As a start to my winter hiking career, I am looking to do some hikes in MA/Southern NH. I am familiar with Greylock and Monadnock, but have very little information on the mountains listed in the subject above.

Does anyone know of a good website with information on this area? How about topo maps and/or a trail guide?

For anyone that has hiked them, can you suggest:

1) what route would be best for a winter dayhike?

2) what route(s) would be best for a weekend winter backpack?

Thanks.

The NY/NJ Trail conference publishes a good map on that area:

Southern Taconic Trail Map

Also the new AMC Massachusetts Trail guide has some good revised maps for the area and descriptions of trails.

I have done most of the peaks in that area but not in the winter. Mohamed's Highpointing, Peakbagging and Hiking Adventures website offers some great description of routes: http://www.geocities.com/nhfours/alander-mountain.html#tocref1

Enjoy!

You should pick up the Appalachian Trail Guide for Massachusetts and Connecticut. It has detailed descriptions of trails, roads, parking lots, etc. And the maps are very well done.

The maps and guides noted above have just about all the data you need. As for winter hiking access, keep in mind that Mt. Washington Road (CT) / East Street (MA) may not be plowed. The best points of entry would be the Undermountain and Race Brook Trails on Rt. 41. Both Undermountain/AT to Bear and Race Brook/AT to Race and Everett are great day trips. Bear was really nice on snowshoes last December. The parking areas may not be plowed but should get enough use to be pounded down pretty well. A shovel and some sand might be helpful.

I haven’t backpacked there yet but it seems like it would be a great place for an entry into winter camping. Scenic, with llittle exposure. An overnight from Undermountain to Race Brook with a stay in Sages Ravine would be a terrific backpack. Starting farther south is another option. I’ve heard many fine things about Riga Shelter.

Check out this map, great detail, used it when I hiked the area last year. I'd love to do it again in winter!

Map

:( Sorry, checked the link from home and on dial-up, it may take 3+minutes to load the map, but it is worth the wait.

Click on the map and an enlargement box will appear at the bottom right. Click on that to enlarge.

Last edited:
Another vote for the NY/NJ Trail Conference maps. They pretty much have everything you need. I've done most of these in winter as well and it really is the most underrated hiking area in the Northeast from my point of view. You can also access the South Taconic Trail from the New York side just off Route 22 as well as from the Bish-Bash Falls area. The elevation challenge is in the neighborhood of 1400-1600 feet or so and there are some moderately steep stretches where crampons or at least hiking poles (my choice) will come in handy. Lots o' fun. Good luck. :)

my old stomping grounds!

I haven't been on Alander but have done some winter hiking on Bear Mt., Race, and Everett. Great snowshoeing! The northbound descent of Bear Mt (on the AT) is very steep but very fun if the snow is deep and untracked. You can sort of ski/jump turn down that section. The open sections on the summit of Bear and the longer ridge walk on Race and the "summit cone" of Everett can be icy so be sure you have pointy things for your feet. Standard snowshoe crampons should do, or bring along some instep crampies or those yak-trak things if you aren't toting snowshoes.

For overnighting there are several options:
The CT chapter of AMC used to keep a small cabin (Northwest Camp) which could be reserved for a minimal price. It is on the western slope of Bear Mt. and has access to the AT. There used to also be some tent platforms there. Good base for dayhiking. I believe you now have to hike in via the Undermountain Trail.

Sages Ravine Campsite: Gorgeous in winter. Accessible via the Undermountain Trail and either the AT northbound over Bear or the Paradise Lane trail (which used to never get used in winter...don't know how easy it is to follow anymore). Again, a good basecamp for dayhiking Bear, Race, Everett.

Bear Rock Falls Campsite: I heard it was recently moved (just a little bit) but is still fairly high on Race Mt. Same access as for Sage's Ravine but keep hiking N on the AT for about 1.5 mile.

Race Brook Falls Campsite?: I don't know if it is still there but up high on the Race Brook Falls trail there was a camp area...not far below the AT in the col between Race and Everett. I don't know what the parking situation would be for this trailhead in winter.

I haven't tramped around that area for 8-10 years so definitely pick up one of the current guides that others have recommended in case some of these sites and trails are gone (or others have appeared). Have fun! Your question made me feel all nostalgic.
-veg

Tkx for the map info

Thanks for the lead to this set of Berkshire maps. I've been thinking about a quickie up to Mt Alander. Now to find a place that sells them so I can see if I want all three or just the Southern Berkshire map.

Dick

Quietman said:
Check out this map, great detail, used it when I hiked the area last year. I'd love to do it again in winter!

Map

:( Sorry, checked the link from home and on dial-up, it may take 3+minutes to load the map, but it is worth the wait.

Click on the map and an enlargement box will appear at the bottom right. Click on that to enlarge.

Thanks for the information - as always it was spot on and more than I expected :)

A quick search yielded the following. I'm sure they're available elsewhere.

Mountain Wanderer Site

Berkshire Natural Resource Council Maps
These attractive shaded relief topographic maps with hike descriptions cover popular hiking areas in Berkshire County. On the back of each map is an illustrated guide to the human and natural history of the area. Printed on heavy (not waterproof) stock, folded to 4" x 8".

South Taconic Range
Covers 36,000 acre area in southwestern MA, northwestern CT and border area of NY, including Mt. Everett, Brace Mtn., Alander Mtn., Race Mtn. and Bash Bish Falls. 1:35,000 scale, 10 meter contours.
Item #SNH23: $7.00

cabin?

I haven't hiked in the area in quite some time myself (maybe 15 years), but there used to be a pretty nice (but run down, even then) cabin in the woods. If I recollect correctly, out of Bash-Bish, close to Alander? It had bunks and a wood burning stove. Any chance it is still around?? Would make a mighty nice winter spot.

It's still there, between the two Alander "peaks". It's in rough shape getting rougher. At last report, the tarp on the roof was still holding, but someone used the chair and table for firewood. I've tried to find out who is responsible for the upkeep to see if a fix up party could be organized, but I've had little success. It's located in a dell and gets dark early so bring good light sources.

The cabin is still there

My daughter's in-laws told me (last month) that the cabin is still there. Better yet, they said it was recently fixed up and the booze bottles, etc were removed.

I've not been there but, as said earlier in the thread, it sounds like a nice place. It is an addition to this winter's todo list.

Quietman said:
It's still there, between the two Alander "peaks". It's in rough shape getting rougher. At last report, the tarp on the roof was still holding, but someone used the chair and table for firewood. I've tried to find out who is responsible for the upkeep to see if a fix up party could be organized, but I've had little success. It's located in a dell and gets dark early so bring good light sources.

Glad to Hear It

At last, a sign of hope.

This June I received this report:

Sad to say, it's a mess. The roof is shot, someone put a blue tarp over it. It appears to be dry inside though. Structurally it looks okay, other than the roof. It's a mess inside. There is a woodstove inside that looks like it works. There are two wooden bunks. It would be an okay place to spend the night, just a little creepy. Certainly a lot of hikers do. It is well used and the log book inside is filled with entries. It's a shame people don't take better care of the place.

And from the park ranger in May:

I had no clue the old observer's cabin still exsisted on Alander Mnt. :eek:
I assumed it would have been dismantled the same time they disamntled the tower. Alander from what I have been told is on private land and is no concern to me as a state forest ranger
. :(

From the State Forest Map , it appears to be within the Forest's boundries.

I'd appreciate any additional info.....

Bump for Quietman here, and a question to others who may be in the know... What is the Mt. Riga Corp? Is it an affiliation of CT landowners up on the plateau, or some sort of conservation outfit? A Google search yielded little. Just curious, since they have signs everywhere up in hills, and the map posted above even says it with "No Trespassing".

I'm not an expert on the area, just did a lot of research before a couple of overnights. I was curious about the notation on the map and no tresspasing signs on the trails. After lots of searching, I am giving up after finding only the following tidbits.

From AMC CT site:

Ride kicks off with breathtaking 3-mi. climb past Wachocastinook Falls to Forge Lake in private Mt. Riga Forest Preserve.

From an illustrators web site.
Kim Waters is a distinguished illustrator and singer whose publications include Illuminations from the Bhagavad Gita, Enchanted Tales, The Butter Thief, The Vrindavan Fold-out Temple, and Devi, a fold-out altar. She has been singing devotional songs of the Vaisnava saints for many years, inspired by the mystical teachings and rich cultural heritage of India. To describe the path that led Kim Waters into the public eye as the singer of RASA, one has to sift through many stories and historical anecdotes.
Recalling her first memories, she remembers that "In early childhood I spent summers on a lake in a beautiful forest preserve called Mt. Riga. It was there that my desires to be an artist and folksinger first arose.

If I find anything else, I'll post it. This place must be VERY private!

Can you tell me why the Road that goes over Mt. Riga has been closed to traffic?I have been driving up there for close to 30 years,and the last time I went to Lakeville the road was gated off by the Mt Riga Association.I thought this road was public due to the fact that it is an interstate Rd. It travels from CT. to Ma. then into N.Y.
I have noticed that the Mt.Riga Assoc. took more contol over the MT. year after year,posted signs and puting up fences,and now totally closing the Rd.....Is this even legal?I would think unless they bought ALL of the land up there,the road and waterways are allways suposed to be open to the public.
If you have any info please let me know.Thanks

Quietman said:
I'm not an expert on the area, just did a lot of research before a couple of overnights. I was curious about the notation on the map and no tresspasing signs on the trails. After lots of searching, I am giving up after finding only the following tidbits.

From AMC CT site:

Ride kicks off with breathtaking 3-mi. climb past Wachocastinook Falls to Forge Lake in private Mt. Riga Forest Preserve.

The Moutain was OPEN TO THE PUBLIC for many years,up until recently.I am wondering how a landowners assoc. can close pulic rds. and trails?

Lots more research only turned up the following: From America's Roof Website.

Anyone planning to do Mt Frissell in the winter should read my trip report. The road from the south, as described in the Winger's book, is closed. You have to come in from Mt Washington, MA. Also, it might be a good idea to have some kind of gripper for your boots, as I found a thin coating of ice on everything, covered by powder snow.

Respond to this message

Author Reply
Mohamed Ellozy
(Login MohamedEllozy) Approach from CT January 25 2004, 8:58 PM

> The road from the south, as described in the Winger's book, is closed.
Is this a seasonal closure, or is the southern approach permanently closed?

Respond to this message

DickMc
(Login DickMc) not sure January 25 2004, 9:31 PM

there were signs that said closed until spring, and I guess when they graded the road then it wouldn't be hard to remove the boulders. I saw another website that said it was closed in winter, so my guess is they do it maybe to keep 4WD off; I think snowmobiles could get around.

Respond to this message

Merkin
(Login hmerkin) Seasonal closure January 26 2004, 12:56 AM

My experience, going back to the 60's is that the CT approach is closed seasonally. Back in the days of mild snowless winters, that was very frustrating, as the road could have been driven.

Mark S.... January 26 2004, 11:18 AM

If you're talking about the Mount Riga Road from Salisbury, Connecticutt as I assume you are (I don't own Winger's book), then it is definitely a seasonal closure. I mountain biked this road in July and encountered several vehicles driving on the road. Also, as is shown on Mohammed's website, you can also hike to Frissell from the New York side (6-7 mile round trip) as well as any number of other possibilities if you want to do a longer hike. There are a lot of trails in the area.