06/18 – Wildcats and Cater Dome

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjhbos

Reaction score
This Sunday, June 18 three of us are planning to climb the Wildcats and Carter Dome. Up the Wildcat Ridge and Cater-Moriah Trail to Carter Dome and then down the 19 Mile Brook trail. Provisional plan is to meet at 19 Mile trail head for car spot at 9AM and then drive to Wildcat Ridge trailhead.

1) If anyone is interested in this hike please let me know, would love a couple more people.

2) Also, if you have done that hike recently, is the Ellis River manageable to cross for the Wildcat Ridge or is the Lost Pond Trail from Pinkham recommended?

Thanks,
-Steve

I always go the Lost Pond Trail: I like that little section of trail as a nice warmup. You also do not need a parking sticker if you park at Pinkham Notch Base Lodge (in case one of you doesn't have one).

For me, adding Carter Dome at the end of that day would make it a tough one. Wildcat, and its alphabet peaks has lots of ups and downs, making it a tiring day. Definitely take in Mt Hight after Carter Dome. The views alone make that a memorable peak. There is little added effort or distance, and it is one of the best in the Whites IMHO.

Thanks for your input Sherpa.

Hope your recovery is going well and enjoy the 'Pound the Presi 'weekend.

06/17 - Wildcats & Cater Dome

I did this post yesterday but a change in plans (forgot that this Sunday was Father's Day) has meant that our group needs to change the hike from Sunday to Saturday. Will still be the same 3 summits - the two Wildcats and Carter Dome.

Looking for a couple more people that might be interested and available to come along. Plan is to meet at the 19 Mile Brook trail head at 9am on Saturday.

Thanks,
-Steve