1st Kayak trip!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KayakDan said:
Rolling does have a purpose,and it 's a whitewater neccesity,but I think it's more of a confidence ,and skill builder for sea kayaking,rather than a rescue tool.
Learning (and practicing) a good self rescue,and a T rescue,and having it become automatic in the conditions you paddle in is the truly important skill.
Although I agree with most of what you said, especially the party trick part :D , depending on what you plan on doing, rolling has a definite place in sea kayaking.
If you play in the surf with your sea kayak then you should definitively have the experience and practice in order to pull off a roll under duress. If you pick your days to go out, stay out of turbulent waters, and know how to deal with the surf zone going in/out... then you will rarely HAVE to roll - but can still chose to ;)

<Case in point>
One of the few times I had to combat roll was during a storm in RI while playing in the 5-6' surf - timed it a little late going through it and the wave crashed onto me knocking me over. Hanging out upside down for what must've been at least 5-10 seconds to get into the setup, my third try I rolled back up and paddled out of the zone - my friend hadn't seen me go over or roll back up because the swells were pretty big and she was a few troughs over.
If I hadn't rolled my friend would not have been able to do a T-rescue in that area and I would've certainly have been thrashed by the waves all the way to shore.
</CIP>

And I can second the confidence thing - I always feel a lot more nimble with my braces and leans after I've started the day off with a roll - it's all mental, but it all helps.

But, having said all that... there is plenty else to do in a kayak that is enjoyable - you don't need to roll to do most kayaking most will be doing out there.

Last edited:
Dave, I have a pungo 12.5 and it is very stable and has a comfortable big cockpit. I've only flipped it in rapids where it is not designed to go and getting out and back in was not a problem. Its a nice flat river and lake boat.

cbcbd said:
Although I agree with most of what you said, especially the party trick part :D , depending on what you plan on doing, rolling has a definite place in sea kayaking.
If you play in the surf with your sea kayak then you should definitively have the experience and practice in order to pull off a roll under duress. If you pick your days to go out, stay out of turbulent waters, and know how to deal with the surf zone going in/out... then you will rarely HAVE to roll - but can still chose to ;)

I stand corrected. I wasn't really thinking about the surfing aspect of it.You are absolutely right about having rolling skills in that situation.

I love the surfing,but don't usually get myself into anything big enough to be a problem.
For the ultimate surfing adventure-there's a green can in the Piscataqua,near Newcastle Island that has a standing 7-8 footer for part of the tide. The current runs around 4-6kts. Did that one once while paddling with an ACA instructor friend. Yikes! :eek:

Hi Jim!.....hope all is well.....I saw a pungo 14 on Wednesday and it looked nice and roomy....I'd like to get up to the Cats with u guys one day and see the views from the water...I'm hoping to get to the Magic gathering...best of health

Welcome to the paddling world!

I've been paddling for several years now but still don't own a boat ... have everything else including $300 paddles and some funny fitting neoprene but we keep renting depending on the need .. solo or tandem, wilderness camping or daytrip, quiet water or sea kayaking ...

Self rescue is a good skill to have but try it first in a pool or at an organized training. Hopefully, it is a skill you'll never need, just like first aid training.

... and as with hiking, hydrate before, during and afterwards ... especially afterwards with the tequila ...