1st Kayak trip!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Finally got out and took some "me" time!...Been putting this off since the Spring....need to get out and enjoy nature while my knees are healing....I rented a kayak from a dealer on the North Shore of Long Island, Glacier Bay...I was going to go out in a wilderness pungo 14 but at the last second changed my mind at the ramp and saw a guy in a wilderness tsunami (sp?) 14.5....I tried that...excuse me for not knowing some of the proper terms...when I first sat in the cockpit it seemed very tight around the waist, but my sides weren't touching the kayak, my legs were straight out with a little bend in them..due to knee problems I have to bend my knees probably every 15 min...in this kayak I had to move one leg at a time into the center and bend it, then do the same with the other...I never took a lesson so I just paddled how I felt was comfortable and worked...I went close to the tall grasses to see the birds, saw some fish jumping and went towards a festival, looking at the sail boats and I guess clam boats...I noticed at times that i was in app 4-6 in of water wondering when I was going to finally get stuck, well it did happen ever so slowly but it was just as easy backing out..I did get tired after 1 hour and brought the boat back in...cost me $25 for 1 1/2 hours....next sunday I will hopefully try another Kayak made by the same parent company I was told...think it was the carolina perception 14....I think I'm going to enjoy this hobby, now what to do with my pretty new koflach and step ins?...pics below..
PS IndianChris...let me know where on the island u are..I could use some advise..thx

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2731793560065582691kEFWct

Nice... Confluence is the parent company of Wilderness Systems, Mad River Canoe, Perception, Dagger, so yes, they are the Trek of the Paddling industry!

Glad you got a chance to try out the tsunami, it's more of a touring kayak than the Pungo series which is why it is more conforming to your body which is important when out on the seas to be able to brace (and roll) effectively.

You're legs should be in a diamond kind of pattern with your thighs flush against the pads (if any) but you should still be able to stretch your legs a bit, at least for the most part. I do that occasionally to stretch the various muscles.. sometimes even throw my legs outside the cockpit (make sure you can get back in!)..

anyway, the carolina is another touring kayak that is a good starter kayak for most. I see a bunch of them in rental fleets.

Jay

Jay, I don't think I could get my legs out of the cockpit unless I was leaning on the platform when exiting...I asked the salesman about that..."What if, I went over?..Were my legs going to be stuck in there?"...He said that my legs would slide out...I'm looking at LI paddling groups to join so that I can get in the pool and practice safety procedures...

Coldfeet...just remember...a very important safety procedure to eventually learn, the roll (which I can't do yet), cannot be performed in something like a Pungo or Pamlico. You need to have a nice snug fit like what you experienced in the Tsunami. The boat should become an extension of your lower body once in the water. If you flip in the Pungo, you're gonna fall right out and getting back in might be a problem.

Welcome :)

coldfeet said:
I asked the salesman about that..."What if, I went over?..Were my legs going to be stuck in there?"...He said that my legs would slide out...
If you flip over, just push off the coaming (the rim around the cockpit) with both hands and push the kayak off you like it were a pair of pants - keeping your legs straight.

Oops, didn't see this til CBCBD replied...

It helps being small and nimble like me. My impex's cockpit is only 16" wide x 30" long but it's plenty enough for me to pull my legs out and in when seated in the cockpit. Launching is a lot easier, especially when launching from a dock, if you can simply plop your butt into the seat and worry about the legs later.. and you can get back in your boat after a capsize easier.

When you flip, you will find that your body already has a natural tendency to want to get out, as we all are somewhat buoyent to a certain degree, you just have to stay calm and remember to keep your legs together so nothing gets caught on the way out.

Jay

Jay H said:
...remember to keep your legs together so nothing gets caught on the way out.

Jay
ROTFLOL :D Uh, what would get caught? :rolleyes:

I can't roll either, so I stay away from the ocean. I have been able to get back in my kayak but it is darn tough, especially when the water is cold. I've never had a problem getting out of my yak when it decides I should get wet.

Decide your primary use before getting a kayak. Don't overspend on your first boat. I went with a Dagger Blackwater 11.5 with the sealed rear hatch. It has a drop skeg (not a rudder) which helps it track on flatwater. It's got a big cockpit, making it ideal for fishing. It handles well, is stable, and quite maneuverable, making it good for up to mild class III water. Overall, it's just what I need. I love it.

SherpaKroto said:
ROTFLOL :D Uh, what would get caught? :rolleyes:

Sherp, what the heck are you saying?...ROTFLOL?

Looks like most of the used boats are close to the $500 range...I do like the idea of a larger cockpit to move my legs around...and maybe some fishing...but I won't rush into it to fast this time...have a great weekend...i'll say a few prayers for everyone's safety!

Coldfeet, it sounds like you had a great experience. If you aren't ready to learn to roll (I've never been ready) then practicing for a capsize will really help your confidence level.

Exit the kayak in calm conditions in shallow water. Learn re-entry, which is via the rear deck for my kayak. It's really not hard at all. You are already buoyant from your PFD.

Despite their popularity, I can't see the use of a pump in most conditions. A bailer, like a small bucket, works better for me.

All right people, I think we're going overboard here talking about rolling kayaks - Seems like Coldfeet just got his feet wet in the sport and we're already telling him to go for a swim! :D

Do the cockpits or the inside of the Tsunami and the Carolina 14.5 feel small? They do have bigger sizes in the Tsunami - 165, 175 - that will have slightly bigger dimensions and room. Any other type of boat that will have a bigger cockpit will be a calm water/recreational boat. Not the ideal for the ocean.

Anyway, just try a bunch of boats - it's really all about how it fits you and it's more involved than shopping for a pair of jeans. :)

Trudy said:
Despite their popularity, I can't see the use of a pump in most conditions. A bailer, like a small bucket, works better for me.
How big is this bucket?
IMO, it depends on your kayak. I already don't have a lot of room in mine and can stash my bilge pump inside my cockpit between the side of the seat and the hull, putting it out of the way and I don't have to strap it to my deck. Plus, a bilge pump makes it easier to get rid of water in rough waters by keeping most of your spray skirt on and just leaving a small opening where you can put your pump through - not a technique used as often, but it's a reality you might face if you want to go into the ocean.

Also, as for self-rescue, it's not as easy to "cowboy" (hop onto it from the rear deck and into the cockpit) onto all boats. In calm waters I can barely do it in mine and I'd be stuck in the water in anything choppy. In wider boats with better primary stability it's muuuuuch easier.
A paddle float is pretty much standard equipment for self-rescue.

A new (to me) self-rescue w/ Paddle Float:

http://discoverysailing.org/canoe/solorescue.htm

Pretty nifty... the cowboy self-rescue looks tough for those with rudders, deployed or not....

SherpaK :D

Actually, some paddling shoes actually have little grab hooks that have some kind of small chance of getting caught in bolts and or other stuff... Not a big chance, but hey, you can never be too safe.

Jay

Slow down folks, I'm just starting...

Jay, that paddle float....they forgot to show a pic of the guy inflating it! and what about a pic of flipping the kayak back over?

...as of now I'm pretty sure I want to enjoy lakes, ponds, streams, maybe some bays......like to go on some overnights and camp.....easy stuff...don't want to end up floating away in the Atlantic....think about it like hiking 3k-4k and with time higher more challenging peaks....also I'm looking to keep my initial purchase down just in case...but i do appreciate the advise and I'm reading other threads trying to learn...hope to join some on trips in the future..

coldfeet said:
Jay, that paddle float....they forgot to show a pic of the guy inflating it!
kakumyo_4th.jpg

coldfeet said:
and what about a pic of flipping the kayak back over?
http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/ExpertCenter/rescue-skills/Rescue-Skills-4.shtml

;)

Congrats on your first paddle. Welcome to the madness. There is no getting out now.

I'll give you the same advice I always give. Try as many boats as you can. Buy a used boat for your first boat.

- darren

Going out tonight to the Long Island paddlers club....my friends said that sounded kind of kinky :eek:

Temps for Sunday in the 80's...looks like I'll get lucky again..

Darren...believe me...I will not buy a new kayak!

I went to the meeting it was really good.....sort of like a VFTT gathering just they were paddlers...I'm going to their picnic next week and they told me that I can see and try many different kayaks that day...the main speaker tonight talked about GPS and kayaking....I was also told to "be patient" and try many different types...things are looking good...will keep u posted..

CF,
Tell us more about the club.
Where was the meeting? How'd you hook up with them.
Enjoy.
PS. FYI...I'll actually be in Northport tomorrow.

IC....They meet at Suffolk Community College...off LIE exit 51 or 53 (Wick's Road)...I was told every 3rd Thursday....Their picnic is at Centerreach (sp) beach a week from today...will send u a pm...cf

http://www.lipaddlers.org/

I have been sea kayaking for 9 years,and never found an occasion when rolling was a worthwhile option. Usually,if you go over in rough conditions,you're gonna roll right back up into what got you the first time. It also takes real determination to overcome the "bail out" reaction when a boat goes over accidentally.
That being said, rolling still seems to be the "holy grail" of kayaking-everybody wants to-eveyone is trying to prefect their roll,practice.practice.
Rolling does have a purpose,and it 's a whitewater neccesity,but I think it's more of a confidence ,and skill builder for sea kayaking,rather than a rescue tool.
Learning (and practicing) a good self rescue,and a T rescue,and having it become automatic in the conditions you paddle in is the truly important skill.

Of course I,like everyone else, had to learn to roll,both sides of course,for variety. It comes in very handy entertaining the kids on the OE kayak trips,as part of the "silly kayak tricks" lunchtime show.