2 night backpack in The DAKS, Need suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great choice.

Climb Mount Colden. As in you must. From FL (and also stay there, but head east when you hit the first two lean-tos. More and better lean-tos and campsites by following the shore path.) the loop to Lake Colden, up the south side trail to Colden, down past Lake Arnold, and returning through Avalanche Pass is beyond spectacular. And being based in FL, this makes a tough day hike a very manageable and breathtaking day in the mountains. One of the best New York has to offer. And congrats on the wedding. What venues are you looking at?

It's 4.7 miles (give or take) from Upper Works to Flowed Lands, the shortest approach, and probably your best one, given your time frame.

I will look at my PC topos tonight, but over the 4.7 miles, do we know the vert (is this a flat hike with relatively little gain in elevation)? If so, I'm guessing 2+ hours from trailhead to the campsites???

I guess I will need to get that canister after all. Off to REI...

I will look at my PC topos tonight, but over the 4.7 miles, do we know the vert (is this a flat hike with relatively little gain in elevation)? If so, I'm guessing 2+ hours from trailhead to the campsites???

I guess I will need to get that canister after all. Off to REI...

It's about 900 ft. elevation gain going in this way. Yes, canister is required. It can be rented from EMS. Here are some canister rental places:
http://www.wcs.org/globalconservation/northamerica/adirondacks/adirondackbear/47056726

EMS/Saratoga is not on the list, but you could call them to see if they rent canisters.

MAYDAY, MAYDAY!!!!

Ok, so plans are changing. We are now leaving Saratoga later than expected. Therefore, we need to find something a little closer so we can get in before sunset (fiancees demand...).

Again I ask for your help.

Let's try to keep it within a two hour drive with a two hour hike to the final destination (0r 1 hour drive and three hour hike). Any suggestions?

Also, tent-sites are preferred to lean-to, but we can be flexible there.

Thanks All!!!

Go to Santanoni Preserve near Newcomb (28N). Super easy hike in and an amazing place. Take the trail to the left just before the bridge near the house and follow to the lean-to on the lake. There are tent sites around the other side of the lake.

OK, I've got several votes for the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, and so it will be!

That said, if you had from Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon to explore, where would you go and where would you settle in for the nights?

We are mobile, and don't mind packing up camp Saturday AM in pursuits of fun times and good adventure!

Suggestions?

Bryan

The Camp Santanoni thing is very different from actually hiking the three peaks in the range; very low-key, historical even (great story); very "nice" in every sense.

Also cool in the neighborhood is the upper Hudson, including the Gorge (which is accessed by the North Woods Club Road), which is a reverse hike, elevation-wise, with an added angling bonus if you like that kind of thing. My older kids and I did it and had extra fun with orienteering by staying until after dark! There's also good fishing on the upper West Branch of the Ausable in many little pull-offs, and there's a little museum there, too, that shows various rock types in the Ausable Gorge. Not too expensive and a good day-after activity (if you're all-in after a big hike).

I think there's a Fifty Hikes kind of book out there (maybe by Barbara McMartin) that has tremendous suggestions, including huge pines, caves and geological features.

Snowy Mountain at Indian Lake was a great day-hike; it has a fire tower.

I would guess that anywhere along the NPT would get you into the outback. If that's not enough, though, I can vouch for the outback-ness of the Canada Lakes area. Maybe too far for you, but very wild country.

An easy hike with unbelievable views is Goodnow Mountain, also in Newcomb. We also enjoyed the new natural history museum in Tupper Lake (a bit far, perhaps), and the AWESOME hiking and walking opportunities in the Adirondack Mountain Reserve (home of the Ausable Club). Much of it is private property, but if you're respectful in even the most basic way, they seem quite cool. Also, Giant Mountain is also right there, with a very White Mountains approach: get out of your car and start hiking. Up.

Keep us apprised!

--Mike.

Pharoah Lake is a great choice. And a ton of tentsites, along with six lean-tos around the lake's perimeter.

Day 1. Drive to Mill brook trailhead (south side) Hike in to Lake, go over the outlet bridge and along the trail for five minutes to a sign for a designated campsite. This takes you to one of the great tentsites in NY. Up on a bluff on a small penisula.

Note: Bring canoe paddles. There are half a dozen community canoes ( byo paddles deal). Canoes will be either in the woods near the outlet bridge, or somewhere along the lake. You'll usually find one. Opens up tons more options now.

Day 2. Hike the amazing Pharoah Mountain from the tentsite.

Day 3. Cruise the lake, either on the shores, or in a canoe. Sidetrip to Whortleberry Pond is a great diversion on a departure day.

Great area. I tend to one of the lean-tos and head in twice a year at least and enjoy it every time.

Pharaoh Wilderness Loops

Two thoughts.......

Pharaoh Ponds Loop
Total distance 18.8 miles; vertical 1000'; hike time 10 hrs.

A full description of this trip is described and illustrated in Barbara McMartin's 50 Hikes in the Adirondacks. The narrative begins on page 125 and ends on page 133. Use USGS 7.5' Pharaoh Mountain Topo.

Another great reference for this remote wilderness is Discover the Eastern Adirondacks by Barbara McMartin. Fifteen pages of hike descriptions and maps on the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness and twenty additional pages on the Putnam Pond vicinity are included this detailed work. Well worth the price.

Putnam Ponds and an Ocean to Boot!
I'm not sure of the mileage or ascent of this, but it is not nearly as long as the trip above. The last time I hiked this loop was May, 2003 and it took 6 hours to complete the entire loop on a day hike. However, this trip can be completed in short segments involving overnights at remote ponds along the way. The more leisure time spent in this area, the better.

Starting at Putnam Pond State Campground, hike to Grizzle Ocean (2 m) for the first overnight. After a leisurely breakfast, you may want to take the 1 mile loop around Grizzle Ocean before you return the way you came. At the Treadway Mountain/Clear Pond junction turn left. Your next junction is the Treadway Mountain Junction. Once there you have the highly recommended option of an easy uphill to the wonderful, rose-quartz-covered summit of Treadway Mountain. The views are exceptional!

Descend the way you came and upon return to the Clear Pond junction turn left and head toward Clear Pond passing Mud Pond. The route continues past Clear Pond to Little Rock Pond and Rock Pond where another overnight is possible. The final day can open with a walk around Rock Pond investigating a large graphite mine boiler before heading toward North Pond, Heart Pond and finally returning to Putnam Pond.

Overnights (1 or 2) can be selected at any of the ponds as they all have campsites and lean-tos. If the weather turns poor the loop is short enough to backtrack or complete clockwise to Putnam Pond and reach your car within a few hours. Lots of great options for hiking, fishing and camping in this very scenic wilderness. The books and maps will help you put it all together.