2006 backcountry goals

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweeper

Reaction score
Mud season is almost here and time for this 3 season hiker to stop staring at the maps and figure out what I'm going to try to climb this year.

Climb the highest hundred peaks I need in NH

-One long weekend trip: Nancy, Bemis, Vose Spur, Lowell, and Anderson, fish Norcross and Nancy Pds

-A trip back to Cabot to pick up the Horn, I've got a friend of my son that needs Cabet to finish the NH 4k's for about 5 yrs. He doesn't know it but he's finishing this year.

-Find/Fish the ponds in the Whitewall Mtn/ Thoreau Falls area

-Madison via the Mad Gulf tr.

-Scar Ridge

-Moats

What're yours?

Glad to see another ultra-light angler out there.

My goals this year are less for the Whites and more to learn the Daks:

==Hike several high peaks, focusing on base camps and light peak-bagging;

==Canoe 15 or 20 miles of lakes & rivers, making at least one decent meal of my own forage.

For the Whites, it's to become acquainted with the Sandwiches: Whiteface, Osceolas, Ham-&-cheese.

Oh, and Carrigain.

Good thread!

--M.

I once bushwacked to the pond that is closest (just a bit east) of Whitewall mt. You can get there fairly easily by following a woods road that is across the brook (Zealand river) from the parking area at the end of Zealand road, where you park to hike in the summer.
That road starts out clear but becomes more overgrown as you climb and eventually crosses the A-Z trail. After crossing that trail, when you start to see Whitewall on your right you have to leave the road and bushwack south and a bit west for a short while to the pond. The road is clearly shown on topos but not on the AMC maps. Afterwards it's a fairly easy bushwhack down the outlet stream if you want to go out by way of Ethan pond trail.
I did this years ago but I'm sure that road is still passable. I didn't fish, would like to try it sometime though.

Chas.

With the lack of snow, I was lucky enough to reach most of my obscure little points this winter. Once the snow is gone, I 'm heading out to the one "lost trail" that has haunted me for two years. Bring on "mud season"! Can't wait! :D

Finish the NH 48, 37 out of 48 so far! N. Twin, Carrigain, Galehead, Cabot, Waumbek, West Bond, Zealand, Whiteface, Passaconaway, Owl's Head, and Isolation to go. Looking forward to the probable finish on Carrigain on a clear sunny day if all works out!!

Also hiking the Bigelows in Maine.

Good luck everyone. :D

Too many goals, too little time!

_ Finish the NE67. I've done 60 and have left: Killington and Ellen in VT; Old Speck, Abraham, and the three Baxter peaks in Maine.

_ Continue plugging along at the 100 highest

_ Explore some of the less popular backcountry tentsites and shelters

_ Section-hike the Long Trail

_ Do a presidential traverse

_ Work on my adopted trail (AirLine from the spring to the Upper Bruin)

_ As always: get out more, soak in a beautiful sunrise or sunet from a mountaintop, enjoy life

TDawg

Carrigain on a clear sunny day is a MUST great views all around.

But then half the ones you left have great views.

Luck back at ya.

My goals are to be outdoors whenever possible. :) I'm in no rush to finish any peak list, but I'd like to do a couple of challenging 4ks and more laid back ones. I may go for Madison or Jefferson this year, as well as Garfield, Cannon, Cabot and Waumbek. I have to visit Flat Mtn pond, and I'd like to go back to Guinea Pond, Black Mtn Pond, Shoal, Ethan,and finally visit Gordon, Bog, the list goes on. I'd also like to do Carrigain via Signal Ridge, Desolation and Carrigain Notch trails. I think that would be a nice long summer day hike through some really great scenery, as well as walking through some White Mtn logging history.

I'd also like to check out Mt Tremont, the Moats, The Davis Path...oh man the list never ends.

Out of state, I'd like to like Ascutney in VT, as well as Camels Hump. Maine...I've seen pics of Goose Eye and that looks intriging.

grouseking

grouseking said:
Out of state, I'd like to like Ascutney in VT, as well as Camels Hump. Maine...I've seen pics of Goose Eye and that looks intriging.
a highly underrated peak. Actually I much preferred the north and east peaks of Goose Eye (and the ridge between) than the primary peak (West peak). I'd like to go back again this year, maybe from the Wright trail this time.

random sample of stuff for this year, I've commented on a thread elsewhere: the Bonds, the AT from Lafayette to Garfield, Mt Shaw in the Ossipees, King Ravine, Mt. Mansfield, Boott Spur again, maybe West Royce and Kearsarge North, plus a bunch of lowland botany hikes in the springtime...

Hope to finish the ADK100 and help some of my friends closer to completing their HH list.
Move along further on the Catskill 100's.
Do a couple of more ADK slides climbs.
Now that my dog is out of puppyhood, get her further along on the Catskill 100.

-Finish out the NE67 over the next 2 weeks (11 left in Maine, all except Baxter's 3).

-Start on a new list down South, like the Black Mts.

-Do an almost weeklong hike in the ADK Great Range- looks like you could easily bag 20+ peaks over a 4-5 day stretch.

And then looking to 2007... Aconcagua, perhaps.

2006 Goals

1. Spend four or five days each in The Daks and Whites before I move on down to Ball-more at the end of May
2. Spend a bunch of time on the Va AT, visit Nantahala & Pigsah NF, Monongahela NF (WVa) after I move to Ball-more at the end of May.

:D

Sabrina
with Terra Firma
and Orca the Killer Whale; Traildoggies

Now that I have finished the NH 4000 footers I would like to get to Maine and Vermont. Hiking the M&M trail on the west side of the CT River is also a goal. I've done the rest of it from Monadnock to the river.

Finish the New England 3 k's and NH 200 Highest, both are real close, I'll give it my best shot.

I would sign on for an overnighter to the unnamed pond just west (?) of Thoreau falls, been wanting to do a short whack in there for a few years now... :)

Huntington Ravine (again).

Red Ridge during blueberry season (again).

Some of the many RMC trails north of Adams that I haven't done yet (Lowe's Path, Pine Link).

Waumbek?

Stairs Mountain

Bonds in September (again).

Hancocks

Moving to Colorado in june to tear up the Rockies :mad: been training all winter and plan to assault the 14ers with a vengence :D I love thin air,steep loose rock and valleys with no trails, long range day hikes,no backpacking, the more miles the better, The san Juans, the crestones , the Elks, there all going to feel the wrath of my boots I am White mountain bred, a climbing machine designed to climb the biggest baddest mountains around.
ok, Im a little pumped up for the summer. :D

sierra said:
Moving to Colorado in june to tear up the Rockies :mad: been training all winter and plan to assault the 14ers with a vengence :D I love thin air,steep loose rock and valleys with no trails, long range day hikes,no backpacking, the more miles the better, The san Juans, the crestones , the Elks, there all going to feel the wrath of my boots I am White mountain bred, a climbing machine designed to climb the biggest baddest mountains around.
ok, Im a little pumped up for the summer. :D
So why are you Sierra and not "Rocky" :confused: :D ?

I want to "log" (hike that is) 6K+ vertical feet per month through August. That is enough to make sure I get out there somewhere at least twice per month. Hopefully more, but that is my minimum goal. I am attempting Rainier again in late August, so obviously I would like to stand on the summit there too.