2006 Recap

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of a quiet year, no travel out of the Northeast and only a few long weekends away from home

About 93 new peaks, it's getting harder to find new worthwhile peaks in New England and some will no doubt say I've passed that point already

Thanks to Spencer & Spencer got my highest priority peaks in NY & ME, still have plenty of peaks left to climb in those states but nothing nagging at me anymore

Finished Tully Trail & Pocumtuck Ridge Trail, not quite the PCT or CDT but a shorter drive

Reached 100 peaks in my 6th state (NY), the next isn't imminent as I have to decide whether I want to sneak into people's backyards in CT or spend a day each way getting to PA

There are a few dozen peaks on my radar for 2007, as always some will be visited and others postponed

A very active 2006 over 2005 except in trail mileage which was just 4 miles shorter than last years 195 miles. I did gain more elevation though as I did not do two hikes in the south this year starting at 5,029 Ft & I did climb more peaks this year. For walking, jogging, treadmill, etc did 50% more total in 2006 (over 21.2 miles per week with almost taking Nov. & Dec. off - only two weeks over 10 miles.)

Did not get to the ADK's this year :(

Did get to the Catskills three times, climbing Windham from a new direction & also four new peaks on the Devil's Path before a feeble attempt at Westkill, but the brook is pretty. ;)

Family did their first hike together, Bald Cap in the Green Hills ;)

Did my 1st Presi traverse (only the third longest hike this year)

Attempted a Pemi Traverse in May - only got the Franconia's Garfield & Galehead but that was about 28 miles
Went back in Sept. did Bonds, Twins & Galehead, approx a 30 mile day

Did two hike & bike trips, using the bike to close the loop from the car at one trailhead to another trailhead to start

Met a bunch of you new guys & gals here, either with Double Bow back in February as you left Wildcat Ridge or the Presidential Traverse trip, Or Big Earl & UFC on Waumbek or Hikehike & Rocknrolls this past weekend at yons & some of you on Carrigain. Also got to see familar faces in Dave M, Garry, Michael J & Chomp

While it was sad to hear about Sherpa getting hurt early in the year skiing, it was good to see him in May & June. Kepp recovering & getting a little stronger everyday. :D

Goals for 2007, get to ADK's a couple of times (23 away from the 115) maybe take the 2nd summer family vacation up there (NJ Shore is always main vacation) & get family up Jo & maybe Cascade or Mt. Van.

There is a rumor of a company get together in Jackson Hole...... :D

I've had a pretty productive and safe year of hiking. Met and hiked with many great people.

*Catskill 35
*Adirondack 46
*300 + more miles of AT completed.
2009 done, 165 to go.
Hiked into Trail Days in Damascus. Great time.
*Backcountry trip in Yellowstone and Glacier with
my son.
*Good start on the Catskill HH
*Catskill W35

Next year plans
Finish the AT
Finish NH 4Ks
Continue on Cats HH

My highlight of the year was meeting people from this group for the first time.

Bumping into mhrsebago out of the blue at Monument 450 Peak of all places!
Spending an enjoyable Saturday with dms and JimC and just experiencing their combined wealth of knowledge. Being given the grand tour of the NH North Country by Papa Bear and oh yeah bagging a remote Maine peak as well. Finally meeting Onestep and Pig Pen and doing more learning and peakbagging. Dodging a riled up Moose on Cow Ridge was certainly a highlight!

My Maine goal for the year was to have at least half of Maine finished and I accomplished that. 84/165
I suspect that I have done the easier half.
My results are: 50 NE 3Ks
46 in Maine 45-3K 1-4K (North Brother)
4 in NH

Jim

Originally posted on another forum:

It was a good year for me. I come up with a total of 854 miles of hiking and 139 named and/or listed peaks. 57 of these were "new" peaks for me. 45 were climbed in winter. I was able to complete the 35W, NH48, NE67, NE111(115). I also completed a third round of the 46. More fun than completing my own lists was being there for Charlene to complete her 35 and 35W as well as her 46. Being there for Eric to finish his 46W. Bubba finishing his 46.
The peaks I climbed break down like this:

Adirondacks: All 46 with twelve of them done twice and one (Panther) done three times. 29 3k peaks. Another 10 lesser peaks.

Catskills: 17/35, 23/102

Maine: 15 peaks (11 4ks, 2 3ks, and 2 lesser peaks)

New Hampshire: 13 peaks (8 4ks, 5 3ks)

Vermont: 3 peaks ( 1 4k, 2 3ks)

I haven't done anything yet this year.

It was a good year for me. It was my first year of actual hiking.

I got into hiking in March so I missed out on any actual winter hiking except for Stratton!

I finished the NH 48 in 2 months (except Moosilauke which was done a few months earlier)
I also completed 68/100 of the NE 100 mostly in a 5 month period!
I hiked in every New England state except Rhode Island, I also hiked in PA and NY!
Got some pretty damned fantastic pictures along the way too!

My stats for the year are:
636 miles (mostly March - December)
230,220 vertical feet
Both stats are low balled with extreme prejudice!

2007 Goals:
NE100 list
Hit some Adirondacks finally
Finish off the MASS top 10
Get a few smaller peaks that I have been ignoring for a while
Meet some more equally crazy people.
Rematch some peaks I climbed which were cloudy and viewless
Reach 1000 miles

great until september when my dog tore her ligament. Since then I have not been out once :eek: man am I going to be out of shape when I start back up in a couple weeks. :mad:

From memory, may have missed a couple:
ADK
5 Dixes in a day /w Pete Hickey and Cantdog (her 46'r & 115 finish)

Catskills
Lead a group of scouts on there 1st winter peaks (Tom Cole & Black Dome)
(2) Burroughs Range traverseres, 1 overnight with scouts, the other a winter hike with Jay, Askus3, Pudgy_groundhog, Halfmoon, & Tmax.
Bushwack range (almost) with DaLunartik and Haunted Fox
BLM

solo
Rusk (winter), Fir, Big Indian, Doubletop

(still haven't completed my 3500, 2 to go)

Without a car, I'm limited...but it didn't stop me from getting out whenever possible.

2006 New 4ks: Pierce, Liberty, Eisenhower, Lincoln, Lafayette, North Hancock, South Hancock, North Tri, Middle Tri, Jackson, Galehead, Garfield, Whiteface, Passaconaway, Waumbek, and Middle Carter 16 peaks 29/48

Repeat 4ks and other Great hikes: Moosilauke, Pierce, Tower Hill Pond (NH), Pack Monadnock twice, a couple walks around Massabesic Lake in Auburn NH, Plum Island hiking, Ripley Falls, Gibbs Falls, Artists Bluff/Bald Mtn, Mt Crawford, Stairs, two trips to Zealand Hut, Zeacliff, Shoal Pond, Smith and Halfmile Ponds in Enfield, The Rail trail in Lebanon/Enfield, Bicknell Brook to Crystal Lake in Enfield, North Sugarloaf along Zealand Rd, Cardigan twice, Potash Mtn, Farnum Hill in Lebanon, Table Rock in Grafton Notch, plus many hikes in my old home town of Chester NH.

I'm leaving out some

Goals: To have fun! If I could finish the 48 by the end of the year that would be cool but I'd rather savor it than get it all done. Once I finally get a car, I will be expanding my horizons to other states like NY, and ME...and I guess VT ;) .

grouseking

I met Pete Hickey; had my first winter ADK summit; did trailwork for the first time; and spent some great times with friends. I did 6 ADK summits in all this year, some repeats, but that's ok, it's just about being out.

Horrible year for hiking. Moved, changed careers, got married etc.; nothing has been easy. Hiking took a back seat. There were some memorable hikes though... Hogsback in the Benton Range, camping at Guyot, Jefferson on a nice winter day. Most of what I'll remember from 2006 is the nice hikes that I did with some of my friends, Eric (Barbarossa), MEB, Julie (Timmus), Jessbee, Lindsay (Sleeping Bear), Tom Hillwalker, Mike (Sapblatt), (Tony) ROCKYSUMMIT, Neil, Giggy and so on.

-Dr. Wu

450 miles of hiking

46 4000' in New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine

17 ADK100

My first 50 miles of bushwhacks

32 hours of trailwork with the 46r's crew

...and 1 major marriage crisis.

timmus said:
...and 1 major marriage crisis.

Was this brought about by all of your outdoor activities?

My wife gave me books and a big pillow for reading in bed for christmas. I think she wants to keep me off the mountains and out of the woods....

No can do! I just got my NH 4K and it is time to move on to other lists.

OK, this could be fun--but I must include the BC skiing I did this year:

Winter skiing:
Camel's Hump
Somewhere, VT (really have little idea where I was--somewhere around Stowe--but it was fun)
Gulf of Slides trail - 2X
Tux
Little Jay
Big Jay
Somewhere else, VT (If I told you I would be killed.)

Not bad for a lean snow year.

Hikes in NE (all for second or more times--done my 67 and that's good enough for me):
Osceolas
Handcocks
Castle Ravine/Castelated Ridge (didn't summit--but gorgeous hike!)
Bonds
Mt. Washington - via Tuckerman Ravine (beautiful!)
Lafayette via Skoocumchuck (sp)/Greenlead trail
Cannon
Moosilauke (didn't summit)
Mansfield (SO close to summiting!)

And then there was that trip to Wyoming. We didn't summit anything, but hiked a ton in the Wind Rivers and Tetons. Great time! :D

2006 was a fantastic year for me. Both in terms of "highs' and "lows."
115 list peaks
818 miles
232,000 feet of elevation gain

The highs: :D
completing W35, ADK46, NH48
summitting Whitney, Boundary, Shasta, Hood in a two-week trip out west
tons of hikes with fantastic people

The lows: :(
falling into a stream in single digit temperature while attempting Seymour
cracking my elbow attempting Big Slide
getting lost on a glaciated mountain in white-out conditions

I wouldn't trade any of it :D :D :D

I'll have to win the lottery and quit my job to top this in 2007!!!

Geesh, i just realized that i had hiked 17 new hundred highest mountains this year, 13 of them being 4k's. All this sandwhiched around tearing a hamstring playing co-ed softball. Man i am getting old.

Next year's goals?

drink more beer during softball so i can not run fast enough to injure myself.