2006 - What's on the Table

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dugan said:
And another I can't quit thinking of: "Semi-Pemi south half loop"
In via Osseo to Franconia Ridge, descend Lincoln via the Slide, bag Owl's Head, bushwhack down east side, 'whack up slide on shoulder of West Bond, then Bondcliff to Lincoln Woods.

WOW!!! I thought my East and West Semi Pemi Loops looked good! This is the best idea I've heard today!!! :D

What about a North Semi Pemi Loop goin' in via Gale River then over to Lincoln to Owl's Head to West Bond?

Winter:
Get more above treeline experience and get comfortable using an ice axe.
Presi's and Franconia Ridge will be high on the list.
Try out my used pair of cross country skis I just got.

Spring
Learn to Rock Climb (or at least how to Belay)

Summer
Bonds (if I do one hike this year I want it to be the bonds. Mostly likely as a two day hike)
Washington via Huntington's Ravine
One Day Presi Traverse (thunderstorms prevented me from completed it in '05)
An above treeline moonlight hike (but only if the conditions are really good.)
Vacation in Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

Fall
Continue to work on the NH 4000ers (I did 27 in 2005, but I have the feeling that I will do more repeats so it is not my goal to finish it this year although if I do, then it will be nice surprise.)

The following winter:
Learn to Ice Climb

Major Plan: Finishing the 48 in August, three day Moriah, Carter, Wildcat traverse, gotta do Owl's Head prior to that.

I also want to get my last two Vt peaks, and my first in Maine.

I also want to increase doing trailwork, which should be easy as Double Bow and I adopted a trail for the AMCNH young members group.

Those are the must do's, other ideas kicking around in my head, but those are the definate hiking plans.

Double Bow said:
WOW!!! I thought my East and West Semi Pemi Loops looked good! This is the best idea I've heard today!!! :D

What about a North Semi Pemi Loop goin' in via Gale River then over to Lincoln to Owl's Head to West Bond?

Yah, I've seen a few possibilities for a north half-loop. It's the south half that seems to be stuck in my head.

My #1 goal is just to move back to New England! It's been too long, and this may well be the year it actually happens. We'll see...
I won't go into specific goals for out West, but if I do indeed move back to NE this summer, my hiking goals would be:
* Into the Great Gulf to Spaulding Lake, and up to Washington's summit
* An autumn hike to Ethan Pond
* An autumn hike to Camels Hump
* Mt Abraham in VT for old time's sake, with a stop at the ice cream shop in Rochester :)
* Mount Carrigain from Lincoln Woods
* Tripyramid
* a Mahoosuc traverse from Gorham to Evans Notch
* Baxter. Anything in Baxter
* A winter hike up Bondcliff and Guyot and out toward Zealand Falls
* something in the ADKs since my experience there is pretty limited
* Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia
* Long Trail (gotta go south to north!)

giggy said:
these are goals/plan - I will be happy if half of them materialize.

and this is also a shameless attempt to call out for partners :D (except Katahdin/shasta and hood - not my trips) :)

Katahdin in winter (3/06)

6 husbands in winter

Franconia winter traverse

Prezzie winter traverse (2 day 1 night) - sometime before snow leaves.

finally summit jefferson in winter - (long story - my nemesis in winter, way to many tries/to fail rate)

Let me know when you want to do these, I'm game. :)

This spring/summer/fall I'm finishing the Maine AT and starting on NH.

Katahdin next winter.

My brother and I are planning a Rainier trip in 8/07.

My 2006 major Trips in New England are:

6/4 thru 6/12 - Day hiking the Mahoosucs. A southbound venture along the AT from South Arm Road near Andover, ME to US 2 near Gorham, NH.

8/20 thru 8/28 - White Mountain Trip XVII: (North Country & Randolph Area)

Now that I have finished climbing the "48", I am doing the "NH 52 Peaks with a View". So here is my plan of new hikes to interesting areas - all day hikes.
Tentative schedule:
Sun. 8/20 - Travel north and set up camp - Maidstone State Park, VT is our base
Mon 8/21 - Dixville Notch area hikes
Tue 8/22 - Sugarloaf & Percy Peaks
Wed. 8/23 - Rogers Ledge
Thurs. 8/24 - Magalloway and travel to southern base in Gorham
Fri. 8/25 - Adams via Kings Ravine
Sat. 8/26 - Randolph & Crescent Mountain Circular
Sun 8/27 - Jefferson via the Castles
Mon 8/28 - Travel home, with a climb along Martha's Mile & Owls Head

Then for more local hikes for me: AT in CT from Falls Village to Corwall Bridge.
Catskill Winter Hikes: Wittenberg, Cornell, Doubletop. (with Catskill 3550 Club).
A winter weekend with Chip (from VFTT) in the Taconics. 3/3-3/5.
Long Path: Long Mt. Pkwy to Salisbury Mills. (2 hikes)

Plus other hikes that might interest me including that Taconic Trail marathon scheduled for May, and a NJ VFTT weekend Jay is planning.

and a hiking related event - getting my catskill 3500 certificate at the annual Catskill 3500 Club dinner on 4/8.

So that is enough for my plate.

If anyone is interested in joining me for any of these hikes, e-mail me at [email protected] .

Last edited:
I really want to do some bushwhacking in Maine. 3000 footers. I've been scouring Topo! and have found quite a few. Whether they are bushwhacks or trailed peaks I don't really know. Maybe these peaks will be easiest on cold April mornings when the snow is hard.

As for the ADK slides. I would like to do at least 15 of them. There are so many and they are so fullfilling...

Then there's the ADK Hundred.

Plus, I've always wanted to ride the cog. ;)

Quite a list DW, I've done most of the stuff on it and you are in for some gems as well as some hard going

dr_wu002 said:
Hancock -- anything on Hancock, my favorite mountain in NH!
That statement alone would make you unique :)
Flume Peak
My finishing peak for NH 200, back when list was made from 15' quads
Isolation & Davis (Davis Path)
Be sure to hit the true summit of Davis not just the viewpoint and give us a report

As for me, the most notable objectives left from previous years are Hoffman in NY and Pogy in ME.

continued improvement of my fear of heights.
id like to do a presi traverse
katahdin
king ravine
castle ravine
tucks
north slide tripyramid

all places ive been 10 times or more years ago

Figured I'd throw my hat in the ring...mostly ADK-specific hikes.

Santanoni/Couchsachraga/Panther ( on for 2/24, thanks to Tom Rankin)
Cliff
The Seward Range
Allen
East Dix

Didn't do anywhere near enough hiking in 2005, so I'm hoping for more time in the mountains this year...

With the NH 4k's done in 2005, here's what lies ahead for 2006.

- 1 week of hiking in Yosemite National Park in early June.
- 100 Mile Wilderness hike in early August to include all Maine 4k's during same trip.
- 4k's in Vermont to finish New England 4k's.
- Several more section hikes on AT in Mass & N.Y.
- A couple of trips with 7 year old son to N.H. AMC huts and his own 4k's.