3,850 feet of elevation gain, no snow!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I absolutely loath spring hiking in New England, with its mix of mud and 57 varieties of rotten snow. In previous years I simply moved to Massachusetts, hiking in the Blue Hills. That led to substantial loss of fitness, and a slow start to the summer hiking season.

This summer I have big plans in Switzerland, so I decided to stay in NH and do what I could. On weekends I often hike with younger friends who still :eek: work :eek:, and I do 4Ks with them, cursing the conditions all the way. Mid[week I have, so far, done snow free hikes, which appears to limit the elevation gain.

Today I decided to bag two snow free peaks, South Moat and Mount Pemi. I got to the South Moat trailhead a bit before nine, the temperature had risen from 37°F when I started in Thornton to 43°F at the trailhead.

Bottom part of the trail had a short very wet section, the rest of the new trail was in excellent condition. Many of the ledges were wet, and trailfinding required care in places (the blazes could use a coat of new paint). The views from the summit of South Moat were, as always, wonderful. The sky was too hazy for good photos, but not for looking.

My plan had been to just go to South Moat, as recent reports indicated snow between it and Middle Moat. I like Middle Moat very much, so I decided to give it a try. Good decision, the trail has no meaningful snow, just a few patches. Second snack/viewing break on Middle Moat. Returned to South Moat, more views and half my lunch. Back at the car at 2 PM.

I had forgotten how steep most of the trail is, and was wondering whether I would do Mt. Pemi. My initial plan had been to do it by the Indian Head Trail, with 1,500 feet of elevation gain. By the time I reached Lincoln I decided to try doing it by the easier Mt. Pemi. Trail (1,300 feet elevation gain round trip). At the beginning I wondered whether I would make it, but by the halfway mark I was pretty sure I would. Second half of lunch on summit with its good, but not spectacular, views.

10.2 miles, 3,850 feet of elevation gain, four stops on open summits with good views on a beautiful spring day. Quite a way to celebrate the anniversary of my surgery :)

That was quite a way to celebrate. What a nice workout!

I am with you about the rotten snow. I hurt my achilles last April on Sandwich Dome and it is still a bit a a problem.

Thanks for the report. It is a great reminder that there are lots of great snow free hikes to be had. I was on Welch Dickey today, heading for the Ossipees tomorrow. Next week a Belknap traverse. Melt snow melt!!!!

10.2 miles, 3,850 feet of elevation gain, four stops on open summits with good views on a beautiful spring day. Quite a way to celebrate the anniversary of my surgery :)

:D

Most excellent! Congratulations on being one year post-op, and for celebrating the anniversary in such a great manner!

On weekends I often hike with younger friends . . .
If you are talking about "younger" in terms of years, I don't think that means a whole lot. There's a saying that goes something like this: "Growing old is a bad habit which a busy man has no time to form." Mohamed, you certainly stay busy and are full of enthusiasm. I think that you'll forever stay young!

Congratulations!

Many thanks to all for the congratulations!

If you are talking about "younger" in terms of years, I don't think that means a whole lot.
It does, John, it makes a huge difference ...
On weekends I often hike with younger friends who still :eek: work :eek: ...
My younger friends have to work :eek:, I don't :D

images

Excellent report!! I keep hearing a lot about the Moats...I can't wait to get there!!

Congrats on your recovery Mohamed!