3rd Annual VFTT Adirondack BBQ and Gathering August 18th thru August 21st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peak_bgr said:
We ended up doing Hoffman and BR the other day on a whim. I'm sure there will be someone out there to go up Hoffman. My plan is to finish the Adirondack Hundred Highest on that sunday

Got any particular mountain in mind for #100?

I've never been to anything like this before, and I would be coming up all alone. I'm a beginner hiker, I've done some of the smaller mts. in the Adirondacks, and would like to tackle some bigger ones.
Would I be crazy to attend this event all alone, not knowing anyone??

DanaG--all are welcome sane/insane. Alone/large families. Newbies/lifers. ugly/uglier. Get my drift. PM Coldfeet about being a new hiker in a new community and joining in at the BBQ. You'll have a great time.

Just to let you know Pete doesn't bring the chainsaw to the gatherings, only on his hikes. :D

great time

Dana G,

I know how you feel, not knowing anyone but wanting to go....Spence and Maddie and their children made me and my son feel right at home....my son and I joined another group and as a beginner they knew how to keep the pace comfortable...It was awesome looking down at the views and we were on a small mtn i think under 4000...I had so much fun that I tried a few more hikes in the catskills and jumped into the winter gathering this past Jan in the white mountains...i hope to attend this gathering again even if my knee isn't healed just to listen to the cool stories about everyone's trip...also just bring local beer and relax by the fire...sorry to keep talking but I had a bar-b-q last night and i thought about Spence's cool fire pit area...David (coldfeet)

ps...for more info have someone from EMS call up Maddie and ask for info like i did...little embarassing but it worked :rolleyes:

I spent a week in Keene last summer, camping and hiking. I had a blast! I know the area pretty well, my Dad lives in Willsboro, so I go up at least a few times a year to see him. Went up about two weeks ago, and did Poke-a-moonshine and Rattlesnake. Not high peaks for sure, but I'm ready to take on more I think.
I may not make it up this year because of other commitments. I will definitely make it up for this event in 2006 though, if it happens. I'll make it a priority and will NOT make other plans. It looks like so much fun!

There are other committments than hiking? How strange...
:)

You would not at all be crazy to come by not knowing anyone. While meeting any large group of people all at once can certainly be daunting, in fact except in the late evening at dinner or around the campfire, everyone will be in smaller groups on different hikes, arriving back at different times, etc. This is actually a good opportunity to meet people in that way, plus get in some great hiking. There'll be hikes of all levels going on, and even within a given hike there are faster and slower groups.

Plus, camping in Spencer's fantastic back yard really doesn't require much in the way of gear; it's not like being in the back woods. Check out my photos from last year.

And if you still can't make it, there's always the Vermont Gathering in September!

I'm probably gonna make it this time and was wondering Spence if you and Brian planned on doing #100 on Saturday.

Neil,

Just got back from a day in the woods with Spencer and Brian. From what they were speaking about, it looks like Marshall on Friday and ADK100 trip on Sunday.

Neal-we'll really be pushing it to hit #100 on that weekend. With the twin Blue Ridge having to be done in two days that killed a day of hiking in another area. But either way sunday will be a 100 highest.

DanaG- I'm about 10 minutes from Willsboro. I live on the Stowersville Rd CR 12. It connects Lewis to Willsboro off exit 32. Hope you can make it.

Due to life's vagaries my big hiking day will have to be Saturday, not that I won't be up for a modest ( ie. less than 8 hours) HH on Sunday with our honorable host. Is there anyone interested in doing one of the longer HH on Saturday? Perhaps in the Sentinel range, the twin Blue Ridges, Calamity or a Sawteeth? Or maybe the Jay Range? etc.etc.

Or how about Green, Neil? Saturday would be my lengthy hike, too. Longish trail approach from the north, short but stiff bw from there....

bigmoose said:
Or how about Green, Neil? Saturday would be my lengthy hike, too. Longish trail approach from the north, short but stiff bw from there....
I just did Green a few days ago...

Dana, go for those High Peaks, you can handle 'em! Being from Stockbridge, there is nothing around here that's on a par with the HP's. But if you can do Greylock, the HP's would be the next step up. Most have views that are similar to Monument Mountain, but require far more effort.

And don't worry about Pete, we'll thin the gas/oil mix on his saw!

The Twins in a day would put you back here for the BBQ well after dark. It's a 1 3/4 hour drive to the Indian Lkae side of the ridges.

Take a bite out of the Sentinals and if you're real ambitious you could hop over to a second. At least you'll be a little closer.

Everybody better save their appettite for saturday night. Were doing a steamship round over a charcoal spit.