3rd Annual VFTT Adirondack BBQ and Gathering August 18th thru August 21st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LindaLu said:
Hi all--

I'm planning to fly into Albany on the 18th, and can take the Trailways bus up to Keene Valley,

Wow, flying in from the West coast....that will make you the long distance traveler by far. I doubt you are aware of the tradition, so I will give you the heads up now. Prepare yourself to receive the highly coveted VFTT leather apron. You must wear it on all peaks until it is handed over at the next major gathering.

:D

- darren

Leather Apron

Odds are in your favor, BUT... Darren spends way too much time in Hawaii so he might travel furthest... I might fly in from China, just to keep the honor... no, that's in November... ah... my cousins wedding in Anchorage, that'll do it!

Also, I think one of the unmentioned attributes of having the apron in your possession is that you can be gruff with others. The apron celebrates a waitress that cared not to be attentive to VFTT'rs having gathered at her watering hole and eatery. A gathering of VFTTs's is nothing to ignore!!

I bet you can find a ride from some of the Albany or NY gang. Hang around!!

bubba said:
Also, I think one of the unmentioned attributes of having the apron in your possession is that you can be gruff with others. The apron celebrates a waitress that cared not to be attentive to VFTT'rs having gathered at her watering hole and eatery. A gathering of VFTTs's is nothing to ignore!!

Well, I'll be flying the red-eye, and that combined with the time zone change, I'll probably be a little gruff anyways. ;) Now I just need to figure out how I can safely bring along a few of the local microbrews...

Here's my plans for the weekend.

18th--Marshall with Pat and Audrey
19th--Short Bushwhack, maybe, Alford Mtn. in the Sawtooth Range.
20th--Hoffman and Blue Ridge
21th--total recovery.

Anyone interested in any of these they're welcome to come along. Misery loves company you know?

Neil said:
Will anybody be bringing musical instruments?

I can have Nick bring his Guitar. The little SH*% is pretty talented. However, after Hoffman and Blue Ridge on Sat, he may not feel like playing it.

Nick and I will be doing Hoffman/Blue Ridge on Sat. anfd perhaps Knob Lock on Fri. Plus, if we can swing it work wise, Marshall with Pat & Audrey.

Katie, well other than Marshall they are NOT in for those other bushwhacks ;)

Last edited:
Katie, well other than Marshall they are NOT in for those other bushwhacks

We didn't scare them away did we? :confused:

I will probably be up for a little torture on Saturday! :eek:

We'll follow Spence and Brian anywhere. Last year's Saddleback and Jay bushwhack was an adventure not to be missed, in spite of the fact that I was having one of the clumsiest days of my life.

Since we can't get out of Mass. till Sunday the 14th, we are going to have to compress our Sewards and Hough backpacks and hustle along to make it to Marshall on the 18th.

Hoffman and Blue Ridge on Saturday it is. Reserve a spot for me! Should be epic!
Not sure about hiking plans for 18th and 19th, but will make every effort to be there for the festivities.
JT

Oops-change of plan for Marshall

I forgot that we changed our plans and will do Marshall on the 19th, so we're up for something else on the 18th, if we're out of the woods by then.

Ok then, Marshall on Friday.

I would like to do Hoffman from the South then head to Blue Ridge. From Blue Ridge head into the col with West Blue Ridge and follow that out to a powerline and then an old path we found on our trip up Pine Mtn.

Ah, Wadhams!! How far do you live from the hydro plant?

Since I live on Cty Rte 10, hows about swingin' past my house and pick me up for Hoffman? Just kiddin' -- though I would like to be on the Hoffman hike. I'm coordinatin' two hard hikes earlier that week, so let's see how the bomes are holding up.

MMK

Last edited:
Not far at all. My house is just off exit 32. You could be here in 10-15 min. from Wadhams.

If your coming from Elizabethtown follow rte 9 into Lewis and take the right onto CR12 toward Betty Beavers and the Northway. Cross over the northway and I'm one minute up on the left after a sharp left. Less than 10 minutes from e-town.

Last edited:
Just a couple changes to my hiking plans.

Friday will be Marshall
Saturday will be either rest or something real short
Sunday will be an Adirondack 100 highest or two-I'll know more about which ones when we get closer to that day. I sure wouldn't mind finishing on that sunday.

peak_bgr said:
Saturday will be either rest or something real short
Oops, so what happened to Hoffman, I was looking forward to it?

We've "signed up" before and have had to cancel when "life" got in the way, but it's looking more and more like we'll be able to make it this year. Looking forward to it!

Dick and Joanne

Does anyone know how many people want to do Marshall with Audrey? I'd like to go too but don't know if we are approaching the maximum group size or not. Would there be room for me too? I look forward to meeting all of you....

We ended up doing Hoffman and BR the other day on a whim. I'm sure there will be someone out there to go up Hoffman. It just so happened that I needed BR and Hoffman and that day they were the most accessable for us. My plan is to finish the Adirondack Hundred Highest on that sunday-so I needed to get what I could when I can. I'll post a trip report so you can read it.

P&A: I got all nervous! I am 100% in for Marshall regardless of route, as long as it is on Friday, 19th. I love champagne above 4K:)

FWIW, I am staying in the area after the BBQ weekend, and Ed (guinness) figures if he hasn't tortured me enough on Rainier, he will do so HERE Company is always welcome when I punish my body :)

I will plan to join you all for at least part of this event. I am looking forward to meeting more of the VFTT members! :)