3rd Annual VFTT Adirondack BBQ and Gathering August 18th thru August 21st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bubba said:
I'm seeing Saturday as a hike day - interested in other's plans. I'd really like to get in a bushwhack with some experienced 'whackers in a not-overly-challenging environment if possible. A HH is fine...

Hey bubba, I'm heading up Saturday morning and planning something mellow. Possibly a Little Saddleback whack. It's an HH (though not on my list) very short and straightforward. Averill is another option I'm musing... which is on my list... And also supposedly "friendly."

Keep me abreast...

And Spencer, have fun in the NRs!!! I plan on making some fresh mozz and tomato salad for the bbq.

Doc- there's not much like fresh mozz.. Saddleback is an awesome hike with sweet rewards, if you can get a second car for a spot, the swack over to Jay and down is pretty nice. Averill is pretty easy and very straight forward, nice views to boot.

I'm shopping for a hundred highest bushwhack or two, Friday and/or Saturday.
I missed the Saddleback-Jay whack last year, and would enjoy one or the other or both this year.

It's going to be a Sawtooth Peak that Sunday. Looks to be #3 from Duck Hole. But I've had a request for #2 from the Corey's. Both very long, but a lot of trail work to eat up the mileage.

Spence, I'll be getting there about 7:30ish Thursday night. Save a piece of pizza for me. Do you need me to bring anything other than my food for the potluck?

Getting There

I'm still shooting to make it to The Gathering in time for dinner at Crickets on Friday. From home in Reading, MA, I usually take the Pike to 87N. However, I am probably leaving from work in Tewksbury, so I was thinking of going through NH and VT. Does anyone have any experience with this route? Is taking the ferry out of Charlotte the easiest way across Champlain? My mapping software suggested taking Rt. 89 to Burlington and then 7 south to Charlotte as the fastest (but not shortest) route.

Thanks! Hope to see everyone there! I'll be stopping off at the Brewery Exchange tonight before the Spinners game to select my contribution to the beer swap.

I went 89-7-ferry last year from Burlington and it worked very well. The Charlotte/Essex ferry is on its every 1/2-hour schedule so you won't wait long. It's a very nice ride with gorgeous views, and is easy to find.

Then just follow the posted directions on the NY side, which are easy to follow.

I'm sorry I don't remember how long it actually took, but I do remember that traffic on I-89 flew like the wind, there are well-placed rest stops, there are good views from the highway itself, and it was overall a lot more interesting than the Pike route taken the previous winter.

Doc McPeak said:
Hey bubba, I'm heading up Saturday morning and planning something mellow. Possibly a Little Saddleback whack. It's an HH (though not on my list) very short and straightforward. Averill is another option I'm musing... which is on my list... And also supposedly "friendly."

Keep me abreast...

And Spencer, have fun in the NRs!!! I plan on making some fresh mozz and tomato salad for the bbq.

I'm also considering Averill for Saturday so let me know if this is what you decide.

Bbq

Spencer,

Like last year, I will be supplying the large coffee pot, coffee, half 'n half and sugar. I'll set it up on a timer to start brewing fairly early so even the early risers can enjoy their hot cup a' joe. Be warned though, that while brewing, this pot makes some inhuman snorting sounds that will wake a sound sleeper. Ask those who were with JayH at the Escarpment hike in May.

teejay, fresh from most of the Sewards.

Doc, Rik -- hey, I'm along for the ride, so you name the not-peak!

Any special gear for planned bushwhack that I should bring, let me know. I'm willing to spot car if that makes it better...

Ed: :(

Slamdog: :D yakin

DanaG - take a look Weather: ;) (for the most part)
Thursday Night Mostly clear. Lows in the lower to mid 40s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.
Friday Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s.
Friday Night Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s.
Saturday Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s.
Saturday Night Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 50s. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Sunday Mostly cloudy in the morning...then becoming partly sunny. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 70s. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Sunday Night Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 50s.

Last edited:
BigMoose - If I'm still there when you arrive Friday, then Lyon it is! Otherwise, I might be doing Giant (again).

Looks like we'll miss the pot luck Saturday,as we must be home that night. Oh well...

I looked back for about 6 pages but didn't see any mention about supper on Sat. night. I'll be arriving directly from a 4 day backpack and was wondering if I should stop at a store somewhere and what sort of food should I pick up.

From around page three:

"Everybody better save their appettite for saturday night. We're doing a steamship round over a charcoal spit." - Spence

There is a pot luck on Saturday night, and I vote to let you be the mooch of the weekend - you'll have earned it. If you have never attended a VFFT event, food quantity is never an item of concern!!

Get off the trail, pick up some brew and head over to party. Bring stories of your adventure.

(Note: It's not my party, just my vote...)

Spence and Maddie,

Any special type of bagels your interested in? I'll get them early Thurs, pick up FunkyFreddy in the city and leave app 3 pm, getting to your place I guess 9-10? Still need info on a hike for me and my daughter, or should we just "follow the leader"...Al what are your plans?