46er Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike D.

Reaction score
I took my first ADK trip last year and forgot to submit a report to anyone, can I still do so so the peaks will count.I also just took my second(which became quite the adventure and I will do trip report soon :eek: ) and need to know where to send both reports on the peaks so they will count towards the 46, thanks, Mike D.

Mike D. said:
I took my first ADK trip last year and forgot to submit a report to anyone, can I still do so so the peaks will count.I also just took my second(which became quite the adventure and I will do trip report soon :eek: ) and need to know where to send both reports on the peaks so they will count towards the 46

Yes, they will count. When I first wrote in, I had a number of peaks that I had done almost 30 years earlier.

Go to

http://www.adk46r.org

And look at "How to Join" in the left frame.

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
Yes, they will count. When I first wrote in, I had a numjber of peaks taht I had done almost 30 years earlier.

Go to

http://www.adk46r.org

And look at "How to Join" in the left frame.

I think most people send in trip reports in batches. I sent mine in about once a year. They didn't complain, but they do have some picky rules about other things. Tom - ADK #5444

We sent our 1st 16 peaks in and then got our correspondent. I just got my letter. I was worried we'd be done before I got it. We are sending out our 2nd letter with a bunch more on it and then I would think one more letter. When I read the rules, it didn't say you had to submit them individually.

Congratulations on starting them!

they like you to write in - non of the other lists have it that way - only the 46Rs- that is supposed to be part of the 46r experience (the correspondent) - but they don't hold it against you if you don't...

Kevin Rooney said:
I suppose all this process-oriented stuff is consistent with the hiking culture in the ADKs.

No, it's tradition. Correspondence is archived at the state library. You can find your reports along with those of George & Bob Marshall. The main philosophy is not getting the list peaks, but the climb. It is of little interest to those who climb them fast, but to others, it is nice to have someone to whom one can write a report of their climb.

It has been doing something similar to this site for over 60 years, although it is paper and pen based. Some like to talk about their journey, others like to just say, "I did it, now give me the patch."

Kevin Rooney said:
and also sign all the trail registers encountered - most of this is redundant. I suppose a case could be made that it could be of use to SAR,

Very useful for that. I could tell of a story, some time ago, when a kid was gone for a week hiking, the kids father was worried, called the DEC. The DEC called back the next day, telling the kids father where he had been on each day.

Kevin Rooney said:
, but ... I was also told the NYSDEC never reads them, so ... anyway, I digress.

Not true. They are used for usage statistics. you may often find a ranger signing the register, with a number next to it. That is the number of people who registered that day.

Pete_Hickey said:
It is of little interest to those who climb them fast, but to others, it is nice to have someone to whom one can write a report of their climb.
Of course nowadays one can "report" one's climb to the web forum and get instant feedback.

On a not unrelated note: If the canisters were still up on the trail-less summits who would be in charge of constantly taking up fresh notebooks? :) PIN-PIN JUNIOR?

Neil said:
Of course nowadays one can "report" one's climb to the web forum and get instant feedback.

On a not unrelated note: If the canisters were still up on the trail-less summits who would be in charge of constantly taking up fresh notebooks? :) PIN-PIN JUNIOR?

Neil

The registers when there were registers were replaced on a loose / who is going there basis/ As noted the letters portion of the 46R process usually provided the person to carry a new notebook. Grace received every letter from 46R hopefuls. Often those letters would say something like "Today I went up Marshall and there are only three blank pages left in the book." Grace would then ask those bagging the peaks to take up a notebook and mail the full one to her. As she knew who still had Marshall to do, she knew who to write. There have been a few time when I received a call saying "You havn't been up Marshall in awhile have you?" hint, hint, hint. That is how it was done.

The Sikes

Grace liked it when you wrote often and would chide people who did not. It was good natured ribbing and no nastyness was ever intended on her part. As for the correspondants who knows what their individual slant are on things. I can't say if there is any official "policy" or not.

Kevin

"Instead, my correspondent did things like chiding me for climbing them too fast, etc. I suppose all this process-oriented stuff is consistent with the hiking culture in the ADKs."

That is totally uncalled for, in my opinion the correspondent is out of line. Giving advice is one thing but to scold someone for hiking too fast or slow for that matter is just in bad form. sounds to me you ended up with some pompus ** who thought they were superior or something like that.

I wrote to the 46R's twice ( E-mail ) about the correspondent program. Address provided on their web site as I was interested in that program and thinking about donating some of my time. Either they are not interested, don't pay attention to e-mail or both mailings did not go through. Whatever, I have gotten no response.

We really enjoyed our correspondence with Grace (we finished in 1986) and feel really priveleged.

The most wonderful example I remember of Grace chiding someone who would not write to her was this:

Our friends (lets call them Mike and Polly (not their real names)) climbed quite a few of the 46 with us, and were very helpful to us. They waited so we could finish together. Polly was really into the 46 and the wilderness, but Mike hated hiking and would rather have been rock climbing. So even though he finished the 46 along with all of us, he steadfastly refused to write to Grace. Exasperated, she finally sent Polly a letter in which she said "I don't undertand why Mike refuses to write. I have six year old children who write to me after each peak."

We beat Mike over the head with that letter repeatedly. He would hold up the letter and shout at it: "Go climb a rock!"

Brought tears to my eyes laughing! Still funny 20 years later.

AntlerPeak said:
Neil

The registers when there were registers were replaced on a loose / who is going there basis/ As noted the letters portion of the 46R process usually provided the person to carry a new notebook. Grace received every letter from 46R hopefuls. Often those letters would say something like "Today I went up Marshall and there are only three blank pages left in the book." Grace would then ask those bagging the peaks to take up a notebook and mail the full one to her. As she knew who still had Marshall to do, she knew who to write. There have been a few time when I received a call saying "You havn't been up Marshall in awhile have you?" hint, hint, hint. That is how it was done.
What I was getting at is that nowadays there are so many people doing the 46 that those notebooks must fill up incredibly fast. (Maybe they could have been replaced by I-Macs with satellite hookups.) And of course, sadly, there is no one to take over Mrs. Hudowalski's role.
Thank you for sharing that bit of history with us all.

TCD said:
We really enjoyed our correspondence with Grace (we finished in 1986) and feel really priveleged.

The most wonderful example I remember of Grace chiding someone who would not write to her was this:

Our friends (lets call them Mike and Polly (not their real names)) climbed quite a few of the 46 with us, and were very helpful to us. They waited so we could finish together. Polly was really into the 46 and the wilderness, but Mike hated hiking and would rather have been rock climbing. So even though he finished the 46 along with all of us, he steadfastly refused to write to Grace. Exasperated, she finally sent Polly a letter in which she said "I don't undertand why Mike refuses to write. I have six year old children who write to me after each peak."

We beat Mike over the head with that letter repeatedly. He would hold up the letter and shout at it: "Go climb a rock!"

Brought tears to my eyes laughing! Still funny 20 years later.

TCD

That brings to memory an incident with my hiking buddy. He wrote Grace after reaching number 31 and that was it. He was one of those people who just did not like writting letters. At a spring 46R meeting Grace did her usual plea for people to write. We were standing by the door on the far side of the room when Grace spotted us, she pointed to my buddy and said, "Don't be like Bob over there, he has only written once!" Pete Fish started pointing to make sure every one knew who Grace was talking about.

A few weeks later he climbed his 46th, via the Colden Dike. On the summit he wrote his letter to Grace. We drove from Lake Placid to the Boulders and he handed Grace the letter the same day. She loved it! Saying to Bob, "you are off the hook. This is the first time anyone has ever written their 46th on the summit and hand delivered it the same day." She then cooked a bunch of her famous hot dogs for all.

AntlerPeak said:
I wrote to the 46R's twice ( E-mail ) about the correspondent program. Address provided on their web site as I was interested in that program and thinking about donating some of my time. Either they are not interested, don't pay attention to e-mail or both mailings did not go through. Whatever, I have gotten no response.

Which email address? If the Email made it to Tony, he would have responded.

Currently, there are more than enough correspondaents. I know of at least one who wanted to do it, they really couldn't handle any more. It seems that there are a lot interested in it.

Grace was there at the May 2003 dinner, but I don't know about 2002. I was the penultimate person to receive her congratulations.

I didn't mail in my first report until four days before climbing my forty-sixth. My correspondent was Barb Traver, and when I first started to read her reply I thought she was scolding me, but instead she said that she was pleased that my report was so well done. That was nice to read, but it didn't encourage me to file my follow-up in a timely fashion; it was January before I sent in my final report. I still got my number assigned correctly (4987).

Susan finished up the Forty-Six last September and mailed her very first report on December 28. My son has climbed 32 of them but hasn't yet filed a report. I guess it would be good practice for him to do so; he's old enough to take care of it himself.

Anybody else ordering a license plate?

Neil said:
What I was getting at is that nowadays there are so many people doing the 46 that those notebooks must fill up incredibly fast.

I was honored to have replaced several notebooks over the years. Toward the end of their existence, they were filling up so fast that they needed to be replaced twice a year on most peaks and people were leaving their own supplemental notebooks in the cainsters after the main ones filled up.

I didn't and don't mind writing the letters. I know all don't feel that way. For us, like others, we live far enough away that when we go, we are going to try and get done what we can so we don't have to make so many long trips, that is why we have only written a couple of letters....the first one we wrote and it was a combo letter of letting them know we were starting and needing a correspondent and telling them about the ones we had already done. I didn't know if that was OK but they replied. Then we did the next batch and I would have broken that letter up but I hadn't gotten my reply as to who my correspondent was so we waited. So for us it worked out to less letters just because of timing.

I think it was good for my kids to do because it helps with their writing skills, although my son hates to write letters and says this is the only part of the 46ers he hates. He's entitled to his opinion but as his teacher, I thought this is a nice thing to add to the school day. It could be worse, you could have to write one for each peak! :eek:

Pete_Hickey said:
Remember the entries in the green pen? And then those in pink?

Green-Wayne
Pink-Alain

Ski to Die
Poko McGready
General Jeb Stuart
Praise God for Safe Climbing
etc. etc.

Last edited:
Green ink

I also used green ink for my canister entries and my correspondence to Grace. Best part of it was that Grace's return letters were also typewritten in green. Grace also politely chided me about solo bushwhacking, but she soon realized I was just recalcitrant on that point. I never found it a burden to write in, and I always looked forward to Grace's letters. All good memories. :)