75th Anniversary Race down the Thunderbolt Ski Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcskier

Reaction score
Ashfield, Mass. Avatar: Homage to a friend
Having just returned from helping the newly formed Thunderbolt Ski Patrol set up the safety systems for next Saturday's race I can say that the trail is in great shape and given a day like yesterday would make an excellent event to come watch.

Rescheduled from an original date of Feb. 20, it is now set for Sat. March 13 starting at 10:00 a.m.

Here is a link to the race info web page: http://www.thunderboltskirun.com/race.html complete with a helmet cam view of a descent of the trail. Visit the Spectator Info and Maps link. If any of it seems unclear you can p.m. me.

The town of Adams has really gone all out to welcome the race with banners on all of the lamp posts.

I figured posting this to a hiking site makes more sense actually than the average skiing forum. No one but a hiker (with an interest in skiing history) would probably want to watch this race since it requires more than a modest effort just to get to the finish line, with the more exciting parts of the course (Big Schuss & Big Bend) another 20 min. and 40 min. further up the mountain.

Hope to see some of you there (if it's foggy and raining you are excused).

It's still on, but...

If there was any interest in this post, and there probably was judging from the number of views, there might be some continued interest in knowing how well the trail held up in the warm week we've had. The answer is that it did, but just barely.

I thought for the sake of history I'd reprint the latest dispatch from race h.q. and make that suffice:

Dear racers, volunteers, Adams Town Government, State DCR, and anybody else receiving this e-mail,

Notice the recipients list....it's probably over 300 long. That's the kind of support an event like this needs, and it's the kind of support that we could not have done without. Each of you, in one way or another, has played a role in bringing this historic, one of a kind race, to Adams. And you have all been patient over the course of the past 2 years with the planning of this race. After much agonizing all week long about trail conditions and the weather forecast, we, the Thunderbolt Race Commiittee, have decided that this race is a GO!

Will we lose spectators if it rains Saturday? Yes. Will it be cold and damp. Yes. Did they race like this back in the 1940's? To be sure. And will we party like heck Saturday night at the Bounti-Fare....absolutely!

We can't thank you enough for all of your support. In exactly 48 hours the very last racer, Dave Childs, will be making his way down the Thnderbolt....rain or shine. Let's be sure we all come off the mountain safe on Saturday.

It happened

The race went off as planned. There were over 100 competitors. The weather was atrocious but everyone was smiling which ought to say something about backcountry skiers & riders (perhaps not that flattering).

Despite the preponderance of shots of people in red jackets, if you've been following this thread you might be interested in looking through the photos here: Thunderbolt Patrol

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed the helmet cam. The 2 times I hiked Greylock I hiked Thunderbolt and thought it would be a great run on skiis.

O.K. Last post on this thread, I promise.

The official race results, with photos of the winners, plus a really neat retrospective of paired images is online at: Race Results & Photos

Do I seem a little bit obsessed about this race? Sorry, I guess I am. The history of the trail really impresses me. If you haven't seen the documentary: Purple Mountain Majesty you are missing something.

bcskier (o.k. so my username should qualify me for this obsession shouldn't it?)