8 ME Peaks, 3 80+ degree days and 2 NE115 finishes 8/15/09 - 8/17/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes, the rack is seriously a very good place to stop when at Sugarloaf.

BTW, do you ski?? I mean, its seems to me <from reading your posts> that you would enjoy a day of downhilling followed by a hot tub, good food and spirits, and a soft warm bed....no patches or blisters involved....:D

Great accomplishment in somewhat adverse conditions though i would take the heat and humidity over downpours and clouds any day on these hikes..

the VFTT are just toooo good.. Bigelows..wow

one of my favorite parts of this group of hikes was also the CVR coming back from Redington..we did Crockers first....we had a clear and warm day..flowers blueberrys razzberries everywhere..a real sense of isolation..It was spectacular..and coincidentally..2 years ago this week..

nice job

when we're at the summit of Avery Peak looking into the Flagstaff Lake, a guy told us that there was a town under the lake. So I did a little research and found this on USA Today:

Flagstaff Lake, Maine
"In 1949, the towns of Dead River and Flagstaff were flooded when a dam was built on the Dead River," Torkells says. "If you canoe on Flagstaff Lake, and the water is low enough, you'll see building foundations, cellar holes, even artifacts. It's pretty creepy. The ghost of an elderly resident, who refused to leave after the flood, is reported to be hanging around. The lake is in western Maine on Route 27 between Stratton and Eustis." 207-246-2271;
and birocapedia.

Here is a very good slide show that chronicles the flooding of the town. And yes, it has been explored by divers.

IMG_0033.jpg

Flagstaff Lake from Avery Peak.