89,000 acres of former Finch Pruyn - NYS buys conservation easement !

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
What great news to wake up to on the eve of a new year.
NYS used $30M from the 2009 Environmental Protection Fund to purchase the long planned conservation easement on 89,000 acres of former Finch Pruyn land that The Nature Conservancy has held in trust waiting for NY to come up with the money.
New lakes, mountains, streams and ponds to hike, paddle, and snowshoe when the easement corridors are set and approved.
Still waiting is the balance of the FP land that NYS will hopefully purchase outright. Separately or together, these 2 deals will likely be the largest land protection we'll ever see in NY, and one of the largest anywhere.
Your grandchildren will someday will be grateful to the people who worked to protect this land for future generations.

http://www.timesunion.com/default/a...buys-right-to-89K-Adirondack-acres-928714.php

Looking at the map for now it is only easements on land that will for most part stay private. The Santanoni and Allen (among others) areas will be part of the next purchase or am I wrong?

I believe the details still need to be worked out, but recreation will be allowed on at least some of the easement. As far as I know, this deal includes property near the Santanoni Range and Allen Mountain.

Details

I hope the details of what is open to the public, when it is open, and from where it is open will come soon. It is a good thing for the public and hopefully something can be worked out for the private clubs. The article in the Adirondack Explorer on this subject was interesting for a number of reasons. The one depressing aspect of the article the attempts to keep these resources from the general public.