DEC Ranger's reply on reopened Santanoni trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HH1 said:
Good point Neil, re the Santanoni trail as an alternative to existing Panther Brook, as long as the new trail does not require having to ascend a lot of vertical up Santanoni returning from visits to Couch and/or Panther.

Do you know exactly where it pops out joining the current path to Santanoni's summit?

The top of the new-old-new path is very close to Santanoni's summit.

BlackSpruce said:
Wouldn't it be great to climb Cliff year around via the Flowed Land Livingston Pond bay approach?
I'm working on my 4 seasons. One down, three to go.

Thanks Rik.

So that means folks would have to climb about an extra 400 to 500 feet vertical or so if they were to use just this new route to bag Couch and/or Panther, compared to the current approach.

I suspect this would dissuade some number of hikers from using the new one exclusively, especially if they planned to overnight at the Bradley leanto.

BlackSpruce said:
Wouldn't it be great to climb Cliff year around via the Flowed Land Livingston Pond bay approach?

Can we propose a backcountry bridge over the flowed lands :eek:

You could always swim if that did not work. I know great swim coach willing to provide BC swim lessons at a reduced group rate.

Reactions: arm
mavs00 said:
Can we propose a backcountry bridge over the flowed lands :eek:

You could always swim if that did not work. I know great swim coach willing to provide BC swim lessons at a reduced group rate.

From personal experience I wouldn't recommend swimming in the Flowed Lands. At least not in early April. :D

The AMC is planning a trip up the ‘‘new Santanoni path’’ for March 15.

I noticed the Supervising Forester, Mr. Alberga, kept referring to the Santanonni Range. I’m hoping he doesn’t really know what he’s talking about.

HH1 said:
Thanks Rik.

So that means folks would have to climb about an extra 400 to 500 feet vertical or so if they were to use just this new route to bag Couch and/or Panther, compared to the current approach.

I suspect this would dissuade some number of hikers from using the new one exclusively, especially if they planned to overnight at the Bradley leanto.
As if Couchie wasn't tough enough already.

Maintaining a trail using implements is one thing. But can using a trail be made illegal if the trail is on public land? I'm thinking of herdpaths. It would be like saying to someone, "you can't walk there because someone else already has".

Or if someone makes a trail illegally (Calkins) is it legal to use it?

Neil,

As you suspect, it is legal to use ANY trail or herd path in the Forest Preserve unless it is posted otherwise.

See my response in the related thread on your forum.

Cliff