9/9/07 #48 Mt. Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Farrell

Reaction score
Jenifer, Dave, Brandy and myself hiked up Mt. Moosilauke today. It was Jenifer's and my 48 of 48.

We started up the Beaver Brook Tr. at 7:50am. It was raining lightly.

Shortly after crossing two bridges, the trail got steep, with many log steps and rebar for grab rails.

Due to the wet trail, it was slow going.

We took a break at the Beaver Brook Shelter.

At this point of the hike, I was considering turning back, since we were all wet. The gang wanted to keep going so we did.

Once we got started back up the trail, I started to get cold. So I picked up the pace and stayed warm. I would take a break and wait for the group, but I started to get cold again. Once I heard them, I was off.

Dave and Brandy were taking their time so Jenifer caught up to me.

After going up and down the trail a few times, we arived at the Benton Tr. We took a short break and headed up to the summit.

At this point of the hike, we were both drenched. When we got above treeline, the wind picked up and it was raining harder and almost parallel to the ground.

I got ahead of Jenifer and headed for the summit sign. I looked back a few times and it was neat seeing Jenifer coming up the trail with the large cairns next to her.

When I got to the summit, I had a great feeling of accomplishment. I watched Jenifer as she battled her way to the summit. When she got to the summit, we gave each other a kiss and we headed back.

As we were heading back to treeline, Dave and Brandy were heading up. We talked for a few seconds and we continued down while they went up to the summit.

We agreed with them that we would wait for them at the Benton Tr. jct.

We took a lunch break and got into some drier clothes. Well, Jenifer did. I tried but the fleece vest I had in my pack got wet, even with a pack cover on, so I put it back in my pack. I did have a dry hat and gloves so I put them on.

Even with the dry clothes, we started to get cold.

About 20 minutes later, Dave and Brandy came down.

They had to take a break and they said it was alright if we took off.

We talked for a bit and then Jenifer and myself headed down.

The descent was slippery but it went pretty fast.

We both slipped a few times but we didn't get hurt.

By the time we reached the first bridge, we were psyched.

Before we knew it, we were back to the trailhead.

We were both soaked to the bone. We got dry clothes on and were on our way. Oh, I forgot to mention, it's Jenifers birthday today.

Several hours later we got a call from Brandy saying that they made it down safely.

So Moosilauke was our last 4000'er for the White Mountains. It took us eight years but it was a blast.

Even though we did not have any views on Moosilauke, and it rained for the whole hike, it was an excellent hike and one I will remember for a long time.

We will be working on the 4000'ers Club of New England list. Oh, and also the 100 Highest.

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob

Congrats!

Many of you may know Farmer Bob from his Four Thousand Foot trail Journals site from a few years ago. I had the pleasure of hiking with him on a few occasions, most memorably his first winter hike on Hale, and my 100th on Sandwich. I also remember a real fun winter hike on Moriah with many from this site. Good times with a great guy!

So good to see you finish the first of many lists! Congrats to you and Jenifer! Hope to run into you again soon!