A de-listed NEHH peak: the bald summit of Middle Abraham (Maine)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The roads start off from the highway at the same place, but there is a 4-way intersection in "downtown" East Madrid where they diverge. I think that is the point where the state stops maintaining them. The roads to Barnjum are one valley over to the east, and the roads to Perham Stream are on the western side of a ridge. From looking at Topozone, it looks like a long way to the AT by the jeep trails, but I didn't explore it so who knows - it could be drive-able.

albee said:
From looking at Topozone, it looks like a long way to the AT by the jeep trails, but I didn't explore it so who knows - it could be drive-able.

We drove right to the AT from E. Madrid to the south in June 2005 - about eight miles of dirt and logging roads. Our vehicles included an ancient and rickety Subaru, so a jeep wasn't needed then, at least. This was an AMC hike to Abraham and Spaulding led by two Maine ATC/AMC veterans who had been there quite a few times before.

albee said:
From looking at Topozone, it looks like a long way to the AT by the jeep trails, but I didn't explore it so who knows - it could be drive-able.

Last year in Pig Pen's Honda we drove to the Perham Stream crossing of the AT.
The road was a bit rough, well actually I wimped out and asked Phil to take his car back in there on day 2 as I feared the off-road Taurus wasn't quite up to it! Thanks Phil!!

Also last year, mhrsebago and I drove his Saab to within a mile or so of the AT crossing at Oberton Stream. Mark drove, his car suffered a black eye. It had 2 running lights when we left Auburn that morning!

Conditions vary from year to year, and season to season! So, YMMV.