A de-listed NEHH peak: the bald summit of Middle Abraham (Maine)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albee

Reaction score
I did a couple easy bushwhacks near the thriving metropolis of Barnjum, Maine over this past weekend. The hardest part was driving the 4 or 5 miles along the really rocky logging road to get there, but my little Subaru was up for the challenge. The first peak I wanted to hit was Farmer Mountain, which I climbed early on Saturday afternoon. You can see a small clearing to the right (north) of the peak in that picture that made for a good jumping-off point. There was a nearby clear-cut that was easily accessed, and from there it was easy going through mostly open woods to the northeast ridge. As I expected, there was a moose herd path on this ridge that took me right to the summit, where I enjoyed some really nice views of a number of nearby 4,000 footers in the Saddleback Range.

It had started to drizzle a bit on my descent, so I put off the Abrahams until a few days later. On Tuesday morning I hiked Big Moose mountain, and had some awesome views from this spectacular peak near Moosehead Lake, including this shot of a cow moose near the summit. I took lots of pictures since it was a gorgeous morning and I had plenty of time before I had to get back to Barnjum to 'whack the Abrahams.

After negotiating the network of bumpy logging roads again, I parked here and headed up the main logging road to the backwards-question-mark-shaped logging road that got closest to the ridge. The cairns on the summit of Middle Abraham are easy to spot from the logging road approach, so it was only a matter of a 15 minute 'whack from the end of this logging road through open woods to the base of a huge talus field. It was really fun to climb this, and before long I noticed that someone had been building cairns along the way to navigate through the sections of krumholtz that protruded here and there. The climb went by quickly, and I found a register at the summit with hundreds of names in it. Apparently this peak was on the NEHH list until about 2001, when the frequency of entries dropped off dramatically. The views, as expected, were dramatic. Who says bushwhack summits don't have views? Abraham looked close enough to touch. I followed the cairns across the ridge to the south and I was quite surprised to find a cut trail through every patch of scrub growth on the summit. Somebody had spent at least one full day up there with a chainsaw. The cairns led to some more talus sections on the east side of the ridge, and I found lots of blue and orange flagging marking where the trail went. I was disappointed that someone had done so much destruction to this trail-less peak, but I will admit that I happily took advantage of the easy-to-follow route as I made good time towards South Abraham. A little over halfway there, I came upon a surprisingly intact moose skeleton that was picked clean but didn't look too old. Soon thereafter the cut trail petered out, but the woods on the east side of the ridge were delightfully open along the 3,400' contour. The cairn on the south peak has lost some of its stature, but it was still about 4 or 5 feet tall. The register was nearby, and I took a few minutes to read it, sign in, replace the ziplock bag, and have a snack.

I decided that the easiest way back would be the way that I came. Clouds started to cover up the rapidly setting sun, so I scooted back over to Middle Abe's summit in just about 60 minutes, and the descent of the talus field and bushwhack seemed to take no time at all. Once back on the logging road, I did a 10 minute jog back to my car, completing the trip in a hair over 4 hours. To quote The Schlimmer from one of the register entries I read, it was "The Best Bushwhack Ever!"

The full album can be found here:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/561004390bUbxxz

Does anyone know the nature of the cut trail along the Abraham ridge? There was quite a bit of fragile alpine vegetation that had obviously been trampled, but to be honest, there was little way around it save from not following the ridge at all. In the few places where there weren't enough cairns, it was easy to spot where people had trod on the mosses and lichens. I tried to limit my impact to rock-hopping, but there was no way to avoid taking a few steps on the alpine mosses now and then. I highly recommend the middle summit for anyone looking for a different view of Sugarloaf, Spaulding, Abraham, the Saddlebacks, and the Bigelows.

...Al

Last edited:
Al, there has been a long rumored trail to be built along the entire Abe ridge. I don't know if this "trail building" is sanctioned or not, and it seems as though the work has been abandoned in the past 2/3 years. I really don't see how the section from Abe to M. Abe could be built, it's really long and really thick in there. There is a great story of a ridge traverse back in the 40's in an old Appalachia I have at home, I'll get the date and volume no. and post it. I did a traverse from M. Abe to S. Abe with D. Romano and J. Romano about 10 years ago, we found the woods to be quite thick in the cols along the way. It is a great place to visit for sure!

Last edited:
Pat and I climbed S. Abe from a logging road off Quick Stream (which is how we also approached Farmer). Only a few thick spots which we avoided on the way down. Middle Abe, though, was the toughest whack we ever did, mostly because we didn't follow the 50-foot rule, starting up Norton Brook. It took almost 4 hours to the top, and 1.5 hours down via a route quite close to the ascent route. We've never been into the valley of Barnjum but it looks very intriguing when you look at it from Saddleback and the Horn.

Sorry about those picture links... I changed them back to regular size, since "view full size" in Webshots doesn't seem to translate into a link properly.

Dennis - I saw your entries in both registers. That ridge would have been a PITA if not for the trail that I followed. I don't know when it was done, but there were some seriously chain-sawed out sections... 8" diameter trees cut down and piled up. It is 6' wide in most places now, but it ends in open woods about half-way to South Abe. The cairns were a nice touch... quite easy to follow. Reminded me of Fort Mtn a little bit.

Audrey - where is Norton Brook? I feel guilty now since it took me about 25 minutes of walking on logging roads, 15 minutes in the woods, and 15 minutes on a talus field to find the top. Less than an hour for sure! Geez, I didn't earn this one like you guys did! (But I'll count it anyway! ;) ) I saw at least 3 entries from Hiker Ed, including a couple of them in winter. He noted that he had come from Barnjum, too.

albee said:
I feel guilty now since it took me about 25 minutes of walking on logging roads, 15 minutes in the woods, and 15 minutes on a talus field to find the top. Less than an hour for sure!
That's because your a McCheater! ;) I'll make sure to punish you buy telling you we are taking such an easy route next time and you don't need pants, then taking you thru the nastiest stuff I can find. You just don't know which time it will be. :D

There used to be a cairned route from the Barnjum side to M Abraham, I used it twice in the '80s

The summit of S Abraham is the thickest I've ever seen, I remember the PeakMaster crawling around looking for the highpoint. Apparently somebody has put a register on an easier-to-reach spot?

The Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands recently released a management plan for the Flagstaff Region, which includes the Mount Abraham Unit. I haven't had time to read it all but there may be some mention of the trail along the ridge in it. It can be downloaded here.

A quick summary I pulled out:

Mount Abraham – Management Recommendations

Wildlife/Rare or Exemplary Ecosystems and Habitats
1. Work with local snowmobile and ATV clubs to increase awareness of the impacts of
these trails on the fragile alpine areas.
2. Block and post trails and roads on Bureau lands that are used to gain unauthorized motorized vehicle access into ecological reserve. Work with adjacent landowners to block and post trails that enter the Ecological Reserve from the western side.
3. Develop an agreement with MDIFW wardens to provide an enforcement presence if necessary, to ensure that ATV’s and snowmobiles are not violating posted areas.
4. Remove the “cave” and metal structures, including the old fire tower, from the peak.

Recreation
1. Re-establish the hiking trailhead at the original lower elevation site and reroute the trail on Bureau lands to connect with the Warden’s trail.
2. Remove the old Fire Wardens cabin and locate/construct a group tent site.
3. Block the logging roads that extend into the Ecological Reserve and put them to bed.
4. Evaluate alternatives to the road across the southern arm of the ecological reserve presently used as part of the snowmobile and ATV trail system in the area. Relocate these trails to other roads if reasonable, and discontinue the road on the ecological reserve.
5. Continue to allow ATVs and snowmobiles to use the existing gravel management road on the easterly edge of the non-ecoreserve portion of the property, provided there are no environmental issues.

Timber Resources
1. Evaluate forest management opportunities on the non-ecoreserve portion of the property.

Administrative Issues
1. Determine and mark the boundary of the ecological reserve where roads appear to cross the ecological reserve (southern and eastern boundary); and where woods roads appear useable by ATV’s to illegally access the summit area (portions of the western line).
2. Assess any environmental issues with roads located on the Bureau lands. Put to bed any roads not needed for forest management purposes and not part of an approved snowmobile or ATV trail network.
3. Develop a proposal to the MATC for extending the Appalachian side trail (blue-blaze trail) from the summit to the Bureau trailhead on the east side of the mountain.

Reactions: dms
I was up in Maine a few weeks ago, and we saw a lot of cuttings that seemed to be boundary lines. They were usually about 6 feet wide, cut right down to the ground and leading away in a very straight line. On one, we could see all the way down the valley and up to the next mountain, so it was definitely not a hiking trail! :D

One comes within a few feet of the summit of Crocker. Another, (maybe the same one), on South Crocker, (perpendicular to the herd path towards Reddington), heads towards Crocker. There is another one near the summit of Sugarloaf. There were definitely others. Maine seems to be the place where I encounter these cuttings the most, FWIW ...

RoySwkr said:
There used to be a cairned route from the Barnjum side to M Abraham, I used it twice in the '80s

The summit of S Abraham is the thickest I've ever seen, I remember the PeakMaster crawling around looking for the highpoint. Apparently somebody has put a register on an easier-to-reach spot?

Roy, the register is probably not on the exact high point, it seems that it's a few feet away, on a much more accessible tree.

Tom Rankin said:
One comes within a few feet of the summit of Crocker. Another, (maybe the same one), on South Crocker, (perpendicular to the herd path towards Reddington), heads towards Crocker. There is another one near the summit of Sugarloaf. There were definitely others. Maine seems to be the place where I encounter these cuttings the most, FWIW ...

What you saw was the Appalachian Trail corridor boundary, Tom. It is ugly, but it can only be seen from certain angles - and usually not when you're on the AT itself. You have to cross it on your way to Reddington, and as I recall it can be followed off the North Crocker summit a bit, too.

Roy, the jar was close to the high point. I was initially struggling through some scrappy krumholtz and blowdowns, but then I remembered reading that there was a huge cairn on the summit, so I went looking for the open rocky area. After I found the cairn, I could see the jar on a tree about 10' away. I re-entered the woods here and found what I thought to be the high point. There are a couple open patches nearby where it seems people have camped before, but the true high point seems to be in a 50 square foot section of cripplebrush on the edge of the rocky area.

injektilo said:
The Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands recently released a management plan for the Flagstaff Region, which includes the Mount Abraham Unit. I haven't had time to read it all but there may be some mention of the trail along the ridge in it. It can be downloaded here.

A quick summary I pulled out:

Mount Abraham – Management Recommendations

Wildlife/Rare or Exemplary Ecosystems and Habitats
1. Work with local snowmobile and ATV clubs to increase awareness of the impacts of
these trails on the fragile alpine areas.
2. Block and post trails and roads on Bureau lands that are used to gain unauthorized motorized vehicle access into ecological reserve. Work with adjacent landowners to block and post trails that enter the Ecological Reserve from the western side.
3. Develop an agreement with MDIFW wardens to provide an enforcement presence if necessary, to ensure that ATV’s and snowmobiles are not violating posted areas.
4. Remove the “cave” and metal structures, including the old fire tower, from the peak.

Recreation
1. Re-establish the hiking trailhead at the original lower elevation site and reroute the trail on Bureau lands to connect with the Warden’s trail.
2. Remove the old Fire Wardens cabin and locate/construct a group tent site.
3. Block the logging roads that extend into the Ecological Reserve and put them to bed.
4. Evaluate alternatives to the road across the southern arm of the ecological reserve presently used as part of the snowmobile and ATV trail system in the area. Relocate these trails to other roads if reasonable, and discontinue the road on the ecological reserve.
5. Continue to allow ATVs and snowmobiles to use the existing gravel management road on the easterly edge of the non-ecoreserve portion of the property, provided there are no environmental issues.

Timber Resources
1. Evaluate forest management opportunities on the non-ecoreserve portion of the property.

Administrative Issues
1. Determine and mark the boundary of the ecological reserve where roads appear to cross the ecological reserve (southern and eastern boundary); and where woods roads appear useable by ATV’s to illegally access the summit area (portions of the western line).
2. Assess any environmental issues with roads located on the Bureau lands. Put to bed any roads not needed for forest management purposes and not part of an approved snowmobile or ATV trail network.
3. Develop a proposal to the MATC for extending the Appalachian side trail (blue-blaze trail) from the summit to the Bureau trailhead on the east side of the mountain.

This looks like alot of work. Sounds like and looks like you had a great hike albee. I did M. Abraham when it was a listed peak from Abraham. Definitely a real whack, especially the decent down the Norton brook area. From what I remember the register on M. Abraham was a little different than your usual strapped to a tree style...not that I sign registers. :)

albee said:
What you saw was the Appalachian Trail corridor boundary, Tom. It is ugly, but it can only be seen from certain angles - and usually not when you're on the AT itself. You have to cross it on your way to Reddington, and as I recall it can be followed off the North Crocker summit a bit, too.

Roy, the jar was close to the high point. I was initially struggling through some scrappy krumholtz and blowdowns, but then I remembered reading that there was a huge cairn on the summit, so I went looking for the open rocky area. After I found the cairn, I could see the jar on a tree about 10' away. I re-entered the woods here and found what I thought to be the high point. There are a couple open patches nearby where it seems people have camped before, but the true high point seems to be in a 50 square foot section of cripplebrush on the edge of the rocky area.
Do they do this everywhere? I have never noticed it anywhere except in Maine.

All you need is a legendary JEEP

From Barnjum
"Three forks to the Left, Two forks to the Right, and over the Scary Bridge"

I first used the logging road labyrinth back in late 1994. As you noted Albee, Farmer Mt is a focal point, and road system brings you oh so close to the base of Middle Abe. The summit canister was a jar, which had a chain attached to it, and was housed in a rock well. Wicked neat. I used this same route in Winter in 1997, and then again this passed January in which I introduced the Lessard sisters to the area. The exposed talus fields & slab slopes are wonderful. Very different bushwhacking for sure.

If you read the ME Bureau of Parks and Lands report about the Abraham area, it seems clear that very soon the road from Barnjum will be closed/gated, and these peaks will become a little bit more difficult to reach than they are now.

Tom Rankin said:
Do they do this everywhere? I have never noticed it anywhere except in Maine.

I don't think you're supposed to notice it! ;)
Check out this link: http://www.atcboundary.blogspot.com/

I am only making assumptions, but I think the corridor boundary is cut and blazed when the trail crosses sections of private land, such as logging company property. This way, they know not to log too close to the AT. I don't think the blazing is needed when the trail passes through National Parks or National Forests.

Cath - I'm sure you could get to the end of that logging road with your jeep. My Subaru has about 8" of clearance and I would have kept going if I didn't think I was already pressing my luck to make it 5 miles in! Is there another trail that takes you up to Abraham from Barnjum? I've heard a certain sister doesn't like bushwhacking... I saw a cairn marking a different herd path leaving the upper logging road and I'm not sure where it goes.

The jar is still hidden in a cairn/well at the base of that huge boulder on the summit. Could somebody tell me when the NEHH peaks were changed, and which ones were added/de-listed? I'm guessing 2001 sometime. Was Mahoosuc Arm ever on the list?

Mahoussac Arm was definitely on the list..It and M. Abraham were delisted April 1, 2001.

Norton Brook

Albee,

Norton is the first stream you cross when starting up the Mt.Abe Fire Warden's Trail. It's clearly marked in the the DeLorme Gazetteer and will take you to the col between S. and M. Abe. It is a beautiful walk along the brook which we abandoned at a likely-looking dry stream bed descending from the general direction of the summit. There were a few loose talus slides that we encountered that were a huge relief from being on all fours along the rabbit runs. :D

That was one that should have counted triple!