A decent day pack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

A decent day pack ??

Hey,

You would think that by now I would have a decent day pack, but I actually do not.

I'd like maybe about 1200-1500 ci, hydration compatible (I want to use my MSR stuff), light weight (less than 1.5 lbs certainly, ideally less). It would have a proper waist belt (need not be very padded) and sternum strap. It should have some structure to it between my back and the gear, I'm not looking for a stuff sack with arm straps. Apparently I have a freakishly long torso, for my height, so availability in two sizes would be good. I don't really care for multiple zippered compartments, pockets on the belt, or ice axe holder!

Am I asking too much? I am so uninterested in packs (normally), that I can't say I have ever looked at what people use. It seems to me that the day of the lightweight no frills daypack is largely behind us. Any ideas?

The GoLite 24 is probably in the right ballpark for what I am seeking - 1250 ci, 1 lb 6 oz, $79. A 'tow-loop' to drag bonking teammates? Boy do I feel out of touch.

Thanks in advance . . .

Last edited:
My current faves . . .

I have used two different daypacks for a few years now, and feel comfortable recommending either (or both) to other hikers.

The first is a Bora 30 top-loading rucksack by Acteryx. Mine is the “tall” version because I have a long torso (offset by distressingly short legs) with capacity of about 2400-2500 cubic inches. Excellent suspension and functional hip belt. The only thing I don’t like about it is lack of mesh water bottle pockets placed so I can get a drink without having to shed the pack, but other solutions are possible.

The other is a Mountainsmith lumbar pack -- the “Cairn” model at about 1100 cubic inches. (The “Daypack” model looks to be comparable in capacity.) Great little pack (with good water bottle pockets). Excellent waist belt, which combined with the pack itself provides comfortable support for my sometimes “tricky” back. I bought the Moutainsmith “Strapette” shoulder harness accessory and really like it -- it perfectly solves my droopy lumbar pack affliction resulting from over-endowment in the belly and under-endowment in the hips.

Neither of these packs was inexpensive to buy. Both have held up and served very well.

G.

i Love my ... (modified) Playtpus Thunderhead!!! 16 oz, ultra-comfortable, comes with hydration and only costs about $50 new!!! :D :D :D

ps -just clicked yer link & that looks VERY similar to the T-Head, only heavier and more expensive w/o hydration!!!

Last edited:
Ill second Bruno on Black Diamond packs. Mine is 4 yrs old and see's alot of use, yet its just broken in, I susspect Ill have it for quite some time. It came with a ensolite pad and a plastic pad in the back, you can use or remove either to suit your comfort level. Does not have a bladder pocket but I dont use bladders so im ok with that.

I advocate the Mountain Equipmant Coop line on most "pack threads" I come across. Disclaimer: I have no connection with MEC, other than being a member and satisfied pack customer. Check out their ilne:

www.mec.ca

I'm looking too, for a good summer daypack that combines the support of my Osprey Ceres with the convenience of my cheap EMS Whatsit. The Osprey is overkill - 3 buckles and a drawstring just to get inside, but the waistbelt is a dream. The EMS drags on my shoulders if I carry more than the bare essentials.

Audrey, if you’re not a fan of complicated packs you probably would not like the Arcteryx Bora 30! It has enough straps, buckles, drawstrings and stuff that it ought to come with an operator’s manual. The reason I can tolerate it so well is that the pack fits and carries my stuff in reasonable comfort. That makes it functional.

In many ways, I pine for the good old days and my classic Euro style rucksack by Alpine Designs. What a sweet pack -- with a real leather bottom, aluminum internal backstays, and even real leather shoulder straps. I used it for close to 30 years. If the simple design of that pack -- a cavernous main compartment closed by a drawstring, two side pockets sized just right for quart-size Nalgene bottles, and a flat, zippered pocket in the strap down lid -- were to be replicated in one with a modern suspension system I might think about parting with some more shekels and changing my name to Happy!

Good luck in your quest for the perfect day pack.

G.

The other day I just picked up a North Face Spire 38 mens pack from EMS. Very nice and comfortable. I came home with two packs for my wife to choose from, the female version North Face Spire 33, and the EMS womens ridgeline pack. She ended up choosing the ridgeline, although she liked them both. The mens pack is about 2300ci, and the two womens packs were around 2000ci. The packs seem a lot smaller in person than they do in the website pictures. TJH

I love searching for the perfect piece of gear, whether it's a pack, gaiters, hat...then I have an excuse to go into every gear shop I see. Sometimes it's a little disappointing to find what I'm looking for! Finding the Holy Grail wouldn't be as exciting as the search has been.

I bought a very large fanny pack from EMS a couple of years ago and I use it all the time, even on high peaks. I love that the weight is on your BUTTand not your shoulders. I dont sweat as much now that I got that thing off my back.

Thanks so far

Hey,

So, I've found most of the suggested packs on the web.

Of the BD packs, it looks like only the Hollowpoint 20 (yeah, I don't like that name either) might work, 1220 ci, 1 lb 5 oz., $50.

The Platypus Thunderlight has WAY less volume than I want, but the Typhoon does look about right, 1700 ci, 1lb 10 oz., $85.

The NF Spire and Arcteryx packs are WAY heavier than I want. I've never liked lumbar packs to carry more than about 5 pounds, though maybe lumbar pack with shoulder straps might work?

Now that I am narrowing my search, I realize that I am usually wanting to tow TWO stragglers in my group, not just one. I wonder if I could double up tow lines on the GoLite 24? Or should I be looking for a pack with multiple tow loops?

My 2002 T-Head is 1200 cu, but weighs only 16 oz. If you need more room the Typhoon is a little larger, esp. in main pocket. Primary diff between Sherp's and mine is his main pocket is larger and hipbelt has wings. I looked on web and could find NO pics of my '02 model, newer one is smaller and diff. But i think one retailer is still selling older model. :D :D :D

Big day pack

Also looking for a new pack. I looked at the Kelty Redwing - 3100cc. Not sure if it has enough pockets for the little stuff like compas, map, water. Also would like a larger pack to handle early spring/late fall conditions = rain gear, extra sweater, parka, etc. If it's big enough, perhaps can stick in a sleeping bag for a hut visit. In the summer, no need to carry quite that much stuff, so it won't be as heavy (depending on the trip).

Gris said:
My 2002 T-Head is 1200 cu, but weighs only 16 oz.
OK, that would indeed be in the right ballpark, then, thanks.

It's going to be hard to select a pack that I can't try out in a real store, unfortunately. Even if I can work out specs on volume, weight, etc., most small packs are so short on me that the waist belt hits me above the umbilicus.

The Golite (Large) may win out simply because it is available right in my neighborhood, and anything at REI is effectively 10% off anyway.

Last edited:
Tramper Al said:
Even if I can work out specs on volume, weight, etc., most small packs are so short on me that the waist belt hits me above the umbilicus.

I've had no problem with packs like this, the Lowe I mentioned rides, er low in fact I tend to prefer it that way. I wear it more like a lumbar with a lot of the wieght on the belt and let the pack sag a wee bit from my back. I'm not carrying a lot of weight with a pack of that size so that's not a problem and I get excellent back venting. At 2000 cu's I begin to get more exacting about sizing standards.