A dozen ways to die

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting read. With regard to #1 (unroped falls) does anyone out there carry a small section of rope (like 25' or something that could be looped around a tree trunk or root) to aid with short sections of steep icy trail in the trees? Anyone where a ski helmet or similar helmet? As a solo hiker I often think of these things when I run into more challenging sections of trail, especially when descending.

Very interesting read. With regard to #1 (unroped falls) does anyone out there carry a small section of rope (like 25' or something that could be looped around a tree trunk or root) to aid with short sections of steep icy trail in the trees? Anyone where a ski helmet or similar helmet? As a solo hiker I often think of these things when I run into more challenging sections of trail, especially when descending.

Yes, I carry 50' of paracord in my pack all the time and it is surprisingly handy. I double it up for small icy sections that need some assistance to feel safe going down. I've used it as a belt, to guy shelters, as a clothesline, and to replace a broken pack strap. It weighs next to nothing and is good for 550 pounds in a single line.

I usually don't bring rope or helmet for non-technical hikes. If I were to run into a surprise "technical" part of the hike, I would probably just turn around; it will be there another day. If I'm expecting a "technical" section, then I bring the appropriate stuff.

Others may go into detail, but it's worth pointing out that there are a few basics to safe rope use in various situations. Having a rope and using it without knowing these is another way to die. (This is similar to the statistic that taking one avalanche course increases the chances of dying in an avalanche.)

Real rope is a bit bulky and heavy, and using it correctly usually requires additional gear (like ice screws and a harness). I'll bring it if I think I'll need it, but I primarily rely on staying safe without the rope. I always carry real crampons, and I'll bring an ice axe on icy days/routes. If I still have any doubt of my ability to solo the route given the conditions I encounter, I'll turn around.

550 paracord is not a good choice for mountaineering. Falling just a few feet can easily exert a thousand pounds of force on the cord.

There are a couple of winter hikes in the Whites where I'll bring a length of 6mm rope. The chimney between the Osceola's immediately comes to mind. When used, it's on descents, especially if there are several in the group, as it speeds the rate which a group can descend a tricky spot, all the while increasing the safety factor. Have also used something similar in the ADKs, although I rarely hike there anymore in winter since leaving VT (too far for daytrips).

The one I found interesting was the bit on predatory black bear attacks. I thought the article must be wrong, so I googled "predatory black bear attacks" and came up with this article in the Alaska Dispatch, which describes a 2009 study on the topic. I thought fatalities from black bear attacks were essentially unheard of, and that such cases must involve surprising a sow and her cubs. Wrong on both counts. In fact, ~80% of fatal black bear attacks are predatory. And there have been an average of 1 per year since 1960. This is pretty similar to the number of grizzly fatalities, according to this Wikipedia article, and most grizzly fatalities are NOT predatory. Who knew. One other interesting bit: a disproportionately large number the fatal encounters occurred in sparcely populated areas of Canada where the bears were not naturalized to humans. The hypothesis is that there is more food stress in these areas for the bears since the land does not provide as much food. Interesting. Not time to carry bear spray in the Whites just yet, but I feel like it's a matter of time before that guideline is issued. Thanks for the article Ed, a good read.

Real rope is a bit bulky and heavy, and using it correctly usually requires additional gear (like ice screws and a harness). I always carry real crampons, and I'll bring an ice axe on icy days/routes. If I still have any doubt of my ability to solo the route given the conditions I encounter, I'll turn around.

I never bring ice screws unless I'm climbing a technical route with an axe, and then I always wear a helmet. I have yet to find a place (other than Huntington's) that would require anything even close to this.

550 paracord is not a good choice for mountaineering. Falling just a few feet can easily exert a thousand pounds of force on the cord.

Huh, no kidding. It's been discussed on here before. It's handy for lowering packs and using as an aide when going down, like a tree root or nook in a rock. No one said or alluded anything about mountaineering with it.

I prefer not to go alone in winter but I have worn a skiing helmet and don't think it's a bad idea to bring a section of rope.

We ran across a guy wearing a ski helmet between Tom and Field last year. Not quite a technical route (but perhaps they came up Willey first - not sure how that gets in the winter). We laughed figuring he forgot his hat and wasn't going to go home without hiking first.

We ran across a guy wearing a ski helmet between Tom and Field last year. Not quite a technical route (but perhaps they came up Willey first - not sure how that gets in the winter). We laughed figuring he forgot his hat and wasn't going to go home without hiking first.

I saw a woman wearing a technical climbing helmet while hiking Tecumseh about 3 weeks ago. She was with her husband, and they seemed to be dressed appropriately. I was a bit startled and then thought maybe she'd had some type of injury which made it imperative she protect her head? It was a bit slippery, but nothing out of the ordinary for the Whites in the shoulder season.

Last edited:
I was a bit startled and then thought maybe she'd had some type of injury which made it imperative she protect her head?

:eek: Perhaps that's why nobody speaks to me when I wear my helmet. :)
I've hiked in camo'd kevlar head and body armor to see what it felt like.
I really don't care if someone isn't sure about me or my garb.

Last edited:
Falling and hitting my head has long been a nagging concern of mine when hiking solo in the winter. I could see wearing a helmet if you are really risk averse.

Some of the 12 seem less pleasant than others, but if I had to choose one, I think I would go with hypothermia.

I was wondering this when reading about Guy Waterman last week. He just went up and sat down on the ridge to die. Wouldn't a hypothermic death suck? I've heard you feel drunk, so maybe it wouldn't be as bad as drowning, falling off a cliff, or getting mauled by a bear.

My closest encounter to death was crossing Lincoln Brook at high flow neck-deep water in the spring. Never again.

I was wondering this when reading about Guy Waterman last week. He just went up and sat down on the ridge to die. Wouldn't a hypothermic death suck? I've heard you feel drunk, so maybe it wouldn't be as bad as drowning, falling off a cliff, or getting mauled by a bear.

My closest encounter to death was crossing Lincoln Brook at high flow neck-deep water in the spring. Never again.

I think most people are generally experienced with the worst part of hypothermia (feeling cold). Once it really sets in, you don't feel cold anymore, and you become delusional and eventually just fall asleep (and then die).

I took the bushwhack in to OH because it had been raining alot and I knew the rivers would be up. Just beneath the slide, I met another hiker and we agreed to finish together. He said he had rock-hopped the brook on the way in, and was totally against bushwhacking to get out. So I agree to "rock-hop" the brook. Well, the three hours of rain that transpired between me agreeing to do this was enough to completely submerge all of those "hoppable" rocks. We spent 45 minutes trying to ford the river, and at the worst point, my pack was completely submerged. I was carried down the river about 100 yards from the time I started to cross til the time I made it over. Scariest hour of my life.

I think the river becomes uncrossable when its about 500fps of flow, rocks being covered at 350. The day I did it, I remember reading that it had broken 1000 fps of flow. Definitely I was out of my gourd to ford that day. Stupid... but lucky.

Last edited:

Ive thought about Guy Waterman and his manner of death more then once. I met him more a few times on the trails, he was "interesting". I think hypothermia would be an unpleasant death for sure, but most of the discomfort imo, would be the knowledge of your impending death. Guy W. had the luxury of wanting death, maybe that was the difference. Anyway, just speculating, he lived an interesting life and in death chose an interesting means of departing life.

A drive or two back after driving up in the AM, hiking all day & then driving home. The 24 Hour BSP trip is foremost.

As far as on the trail, I was hip deep in Franconia Brook after a big October rainstorm. Deep and fast enough that I opted to bushwhack back and others far smarter than me, turned back.

My winter solo of Isolation ended up fine but I did break a pole, followed the footpath over the bare knob to the east of Isolation, all the time thinking I'd find the trail breaker around the next corner, frozen similar to the scene in Jerimiah Johnson. I ended up on the Davis Path after climbing over a huge pile of brush & did not know if I had to go left or right to get to the spur path. As I was giving up, I found the spur. As a novice bushwhacker at best, I was lucky not good on this trip. I slip and fall & I'd have been the frozen Soylent Green for the Spring's scavengers