A Few Q's on Down Sleeping Bags

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A problem with water-proof breathable shells on sleeping bags--they make the bag much slower to dry. (Water-proof breathable layers requre a significant temp difference between the sides to be effective at moistue transport.

Doug

Marmot Pounder

FWIW, hiked with a guy last summer who had the Marmot Pounder. He called it the "freezer." He figured it was rated closer to 55 or 60; he was always cold. Temps were in the mid to low 40's at night.

At the time I was using my Mtn Hardware, Lamina 45 (synthetic), and was very comfy.

But...if I had to do it over again...I'd go down. So, I could buy a Western Mountaineering bag. Love the Western!!!!

After many years of good freezings, I broke down this year and bought a Western Mountaineering Highlight/Beothuk. I had been alergic to down as a kid so always avoided it since. But after doing a bit of searching info, it sounded like pure down that has been well treated and cleaned is seldom a problem for alergies.

Had it out in the Whites last week, 5 days rain, snow, 20's outside maybe low 30's inside. Bag is rated at 40F but slept fine well below that, not sneezing or itchy eyes. My wife used it one night and slept warm and she is a cold sleeper. Much warmer than the good quality 32F bag I have and less than half the weight at 15.5 oz.

Bag has a decent stuff sack that looks water resistant, but I had it in a plastic bag to be safe, stayed dry no problem over 5 days with 0 chance of anything drying even a little.

Expensive, but worth it in my view. Outer fabric seems to shed water well, like the idea of a tight weave fabric that sheds water as oposed to some sort of treatment ot coating that can break down or get washed away over time.

Last edited:
dreamstream said:
After many years of good freezings, I broke down this year and bought a Western Mountaineering Highlight/Beothuk. I had been alergic to down as a kid so always avoided it since. But after doing a bit of searching info, it sounded like pure down that has been well treated and cleaned is seldom a problem for alergies.

Had it out in the Whites last week, 5 days rain, snow, 20's outside maybe low 30's inside. Bag is rated at 40F but slept fine well below that, not sneezing or itchy eyes. My wife used it one night and slept warm and she is a cold sleeper. Much warmer than the good quality 32F bag I have and less than half the weight at 15.5 oz.

Bag has a decent stuff sack that looks water resistant, but I had it in a plastic bag to be safe, stayed dry no problem over 5 days with 0 chance of anything drying even a little.

Expensive, but worth it in my view. Outer fabric seems to shed water well, like the idea of a tight weave fabric that sheds water as oposed to some sort of treatment ot coating that can break down or get washed away over time.

We have Western Mountaineering Highlite (35 degrees) and love it, both for the weight and compressibility. Just used it in the Grand Canyon on a trip - when we used a bag at all! We did try it out in the Adirondacks when temps were hovering around freezing and found we were a little cold. I'm not sure if there were other factors in play, so we'll try it again in those temps when we get the chance before making a final decision about its warmth. I do find the zipper annoying, as it will come apart at the end when zipped all the way down. The fabric is quite thin, so extra care must be taken to help prevent tearing.

Agreed the half zipper is a con, but I guess that is to save some weight and help keep the foot box warm. My wife now wants her own sleeping new bag, likely be a Summerlite to get the full length zipper and full baffle with a few extra degrees of warmth at the price of 3 oz.

The shell is thin, I don't think I would want to sleep directly on the ground with it, but never plan to sleep directly on the ground anyway.

I notice some of the ratings and product names are different between the bags sold in the US and Canada, What is up with that?

They sure make nice bags!

Western Mountaineering Highlite

Have had it for two years. Rated 35 deg, weighs 16oz and packs very small. Love it.

Lawn Sale said:
It weights a pound less than my closest down bag, which is a 20°. The 40° is an LL Bean synthetic filled with Polarguard HV and it weighs in at 26 ounces.

Ohhhh, it's a pound less than your other bags. I thought you were saying it weighs 1 pound total. :eek:

dreamstream said:
I had been alergic to down as a kid so always avoided it since. But after doing a bit of searching info, it sounded like pure down that has been well treated and cleaned is seldom a problem for alergies.
I was worried about the very same issue. But, no problems at all. And, I'm allergic to everything.