A good day on Mt. Adams - 8/12/2007, I had planned for more.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
August 12, 2007: Adams

Trails: Amphribach Trail, Randolph Path, Hincks Trail, Gray Knob Trail, Spur Trail, Lowes Path (round trip)

Distance – Elevation: 11 miles, 4,280 feet

The day started with a 6:50am meeting at the Park & Ride lot in Boscawen. There I met Hikerfast for an intended hike of Adams and Madison. We quickly transferred his things to my truck and headed for Appalachia. Just after 8:30am we arrived and were heading off at 8:45am. The conditions were generally comfortable but the summits were obscured by clouds. We were hopeful they would “burn off” over the next couple hours.

We initially set off on the Amphribach Trail. This is a very pleasant trail that wanders through fairly open woods at lower elevations. The early part of the trail runs parallel to Route 2 for a distance before heading south along the Cold Brook. Just before making the turn south the trail crosses the Cold Brook via the Memorial Bridge, which stands in memory of a number of trail builders.

From Memorial Bridge the climb starts. Mild at first the rate of climb increases until it reaches generally steep and rough trails. Along the way we passed Cold Brook Falls, where there is a beautiful pool tempting as a swimming hole but the signs indicate this is a water source, no swimming. We returned here for water on our way out. Soon we realized the humidity was very high. We were both drenched in sweat. Hikerfast is very familiar with these trails and all of them were new to me. I believe we both enjoyed hiking in this area for different reasons. He was showing me an area that he really enjoys and I was seeing new territory, and new challenges.

We continued along the Amphribach Trail through a number of trail splits until reaching Pentadoi, an area where there is a five-trail intersection. At one of the earlier trail splits the Cold Brook also split to the east and the Spur Brook, which the trail followed, split to the west. This area is also a junction of the Monaway and Spur Trails. Above this junction the Spur Brook is a light flow of water over beautiful moss-covered slabs and rocks. These conditions continued to the top of the Spur Brook.

From Pentadoi we followed the Randolph Path for a short distance and soon changed to the Spur Trail. At the start of the Spur Trail we were treated to a view of a waterfall on the Spur Brook, just below the ladders. A short distance above the ladders we changed to the Hincks Trail. This is a steep and rough trail that leads to Gray Knob Cabin (RMC). Nearby there is a short path that leads to an outlook from which there are great views to Jefferson and the Castellated Ridge. We enjoyed the views for a brief period and headed back to the Gray Knob Cabin. Here, we stopped for lunch. Gray Knob is a beautiful cabin and we found it empty. We went inside, relaxed, and enjoyed a pleasant lunch break.

Soon we were off for Crag Camp via the Gray Knob Trail. This short trail connects the cabins and provides a couple sources for water along the way. Unfortunately, the source closest to Gray Knob was dry. We made a quick stop at Crag Camp and visited with the folks there for a while before heading for Thunderstorm Junction via Spur Trail.

Spur Trail is similar to Hincks Trail – steep and rough. It generally heads straight for Thunderstorm Junction but runs into Lowes Path just below. Hikerfast was not planning to hike beyond Thunderstorm Junction and actually stayed in the area above Crag Camp. I planned to meet up with him again somewhere on Spur Trail or at Crag Camp. I continued my hike to Thunderstorm Junction. By the time I reached the big cairn the clouds had actually broken and there was a partially sunny condition with a mild breeze. From there it was a rock-hopping final climb of Adams. As I climbed the summit cone of Adams the breeze increased to a point where it was really blowing. I estimated 30 to 40 mph. A woman was leaving the summit area using hands and feet to maintain her stability. Later I checked the high summits weather history from the National Weather Service and learned the wind speed for the time I was there to be ~35 mph. There were three others at the summit when I arrived. I got a few pictures, decided the wind and cool temperatures were becoming uncomfortable and headed back down. On the way to Thunderstorm Junction I passed two additional groups of four each headed for the summit of Adams.

Between the summit and Thunderstorm Junction I started to experience discomfort with stomach cramps. The discomfort became worse as I continued. Eventually it was very difficult to continue. When I reached Thunderstorm Junction I decided to forget about the planned side trip to Madison and simply head back out. Soon, I came upon Hikerfast and we headed down. There were quite a few stops along the way, including another visit to Crag Camp and Gray Knob. I took some pain medication which seemed to help. We continued our hike out and at one point Hikerfast realized I wasn’t in a talkative mood. To a large degree he was talking to himself and I was focused on just getting out. We made a quick stop at the pool on Spur Brook near the Hincks Trail – Spur Trail junction, I pulled out my filter, and we both reloaded with water. Nice cold mountain water – there’s nothing like it!

Finally, we made our way back out the way we came in and reached Appalachia. We wasted no time in preparing to leave and heading out for the Park & Ride lot. I drove until we were just south of Lincoln on I-93 and decided that was enough. Hikerfast took over and drove the remainder of the way to the waiting car.

This particular discomfort was a new experience. It got worse as the day continued. Then, the chills set in and I had a very difficult time sleeping. Monday, I spent most of the day at the hospital in the emergency room. By the time I arrived there I was able to clearly identify the location which was the source of the pain. After a series of checks and three CT Scans, the doctors agreed, I should feel pain from the location I had indicated. It’s always good to know I wasn’t imagining anything. Hopefully, a couple weeks of antibiotics will clear this problem.

Otherwise, a fun hike.

I have posted some pictures from the day.

Straight to the Slideshow.

BIGEarl's pictures.

:)

Hi Earl,

Great TR, but really sorry you are not feeling well.

I waved to you from the summit of W on Sunday. ;)

Hope you are feeling yourslef again soon.

:)

Earl,

Sorry to hear that you were experiencing such pain. It must have been quite a bit for you to cut your hike short. Hoping you're much feeling better and back out on the trails soon.

Thanks everybody. I’ve made pretty good progress over the past couple days and hope to be reasonably back to normal (whatever that is) before too long. Based on the way things have gone to this point, I believe the pain should be generally taken care of by the end of the week. Hopefully I can get at least a short one in this weekend. I’ve been thinking about Cabot or perhaps Owls Head. With an early start it may be possible to hike both Cabot and Hale on the same day. We’ll see - I still have some distance to go before I lace up the hiking boots.

I just hope this hasn’t frightened Hikerfast away, he’s a fun guy to hike with.

:D

Thanks Jazzbo & jjo,

Jazzbo said:
Big Earl

Glad to hear you're starting to feel better! Glad to hear you're well enough to be thinking about coming back with something nice and easy like Owls Head. :) :D

Owls head is just a long walk with a bump in the middle. The bump happens to be roughly 1500 feet, but that’s not much. Taking the shortcut reduces the walk down to around 16 miles. A nice day in the woods. As it turns out things may be a little more complicated than they first appeared. A visit to Owls Head may have to wait for a while. We’ll see. :confused:

jjo said:
Big Earl: glad you're feeling better. Too bad. That's a great area you covered that day..Thanks for a great TR AND terrific pics...Stay well.

A few weeks ago, at the recommendation of Kevin Rooney and HikerBob I found myself on the Skookumchuck Trail headed for Lafayette. The area is very interesting and beautiful with lush fern and moss growth. A bonus was finding Rols at the trailhead and being able to spend the day hiking with him. He is a very experienced hiker. I really enjoyed the hike.

The general area in which Hikerfast and I were hiking on our way to Gray Knob, Crag Camp, and eventually Adams was similar to Skookumchuck, only more of everything. The sheltered scenery was terrific and the views from various outlooks along the way were outstanding. And, I may be starting to appreciate "steep & rough" a little more with each experience. ;)

Considering the network of trails that exists in the general area, it would take some time to run out of new hiking territory starting from Appalachia or nearby. There is plenty of exploring opportunity for return trips.

:D

Last edited: