A grave matter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first time giving CC, so you are my guinea pig (I apologize in advance).

The first thing I noticed about the picture is that it looks a little blurry to me. I noticed you have a pretty large aperture, but am wondering what your shutter speed and ISO were. Also, what mode did you shoot in (i.e. aperture priority, manual -- wondering how the aperture/shutterspeed/ISO were selected)?

I like the subject, but I think I would've liked the composition better if the large gravestone was positioned more to the right in the picture like this (although I still find the small stones in front of the larger one a little distracting):

graveyard_crop1.jpg

I liked the inclusion of the branch at the top of the frame.

Thanks for sharing!

Hi pudgy groundhog,

The image was given a flash touch up on a HP Image Zone, which is not superior to adobe photo. However the picture was given the sepia.

I am still learning the camera's secrets. Because of this, I cannot (and apologize) that I cannot tell you right now what the ISO and aperature is. Thank you for your critique of the photo!

Regards,

Ridgewalker

Hi Ridgewalker.

I think the sepia tones do good things for the picture. It isn't exactly sharp, and lacks a bit of contrast, but I think it is a nice scene framed well by the branch. If the branch weren't there, the sky would be too dominant, so good choice to include it.

I also like the crop provided below...as it also seems a bit more contrasty.

Hope that helps, nice shot!

Old grave yards can be an interesting subject, and you chose an interesting time to photograph with the snow on the trees.

I agree the image is not quite sharp. Part of that may be your f stop:f/3.1. You will generally need greater depth of field, at least f/8, for a photo with subjects at varying distances like you have in this photo to get them all in focus. Camera shake may have also contributed.

IMO there is also no strong subject to hold one's attention. The large black stone is your de facto subject, but we can't see enough of it to hold our attention. The eye wanders through the many stones in the middle ground of your photo. Also there is nothing of real interest in the foreground. One solution would be to get really close to an interesting grave stone, close enough that we can read the inscription. I have photographed old, historic graveyards, and I realize that many of the old inscriptions have worn away. But chances are you will find one that is interesting and readable.

I agree that the overhead branches are often useful and can obscure a blank sky (especially when in foliage). I don't they help enough in this photo. If there was more snow on the branches, perhaps they might be more interesting. But IMHO they are too far removed from the grave stones to help. And that sky is not your friend on this day. I did look through your other photos. In many respects I think this may be the most effective of the photos:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2225607940096806265zNZNQK
You eliminated the distracting sky, got low and close to the stones. You also played a bit with the contrasting leaning stones as you did in other photos in the gallery. There some good images to be had in the graveyard, and I am sure you will find some more.

Ridgewalker:

I like the sepia tone. I think that works well with this scene to give it a spooky feel. On occasion, I like using branches to frame a shot. In this particular instance, I think you would have ended up with more "texture" to the frame if you kneeled down to a lower level, and also got up close to one of the grave stones and had one of those positioned in the forefront. I don't know if I'm describing that very well but it basically would help draw the viewer's eye from the forefront to the background and give it "texture" versus a flat feel.

I can't say this one is technically better -- the flash was off -- but it's the concept that I'm trying to convey: Salem graveyard