Graveyard at sunset

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
I had the urge to take the snowshoes out and take pictures of the sunset last night. This black and white I hope captures the same mystery that it does for you:

2447690080096806265orNKpj_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Specs:

Make: NIKON Model: E4300 F stop: F/2.8 Exposure: 10/2059 sec. Focal length: 8.0 mm Flash: flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode (16) Metering mode: pattern (5) Dimensions: 960x951

Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker,

I like the scene and the mood. I would suggest that you move your position just a bit (juxtapositioning) to free the outlines of the two headstones on the right. They have great shape, and their shape tells of their age. However, their outlines are broken by the footstones behind them. The three headstones are a dominant focal point in the image, so let them stand out, without any interference.

Thanks for sharing.

Happy Trails :)

This does have a great dark and spooky mood to it, and I like it alot! I think that the large tree frames the gravestones well, and you used it as a great compositional feature! The exposure that you used is great for establishing the mood, very nicely done!

I don't think that the top inch or two adds much to the frame though, and if anything, the cluttered branched draw the eye away from the headstones a bit too much. I might consider cropping from the top down to the large horizontal branches.

Otherwise, this is nice, and you seem to be picking up the skills in the hobby quickly!

I like this shot better than your first one. It does capure the grey and somber mood of the cemetary.

I agree with w7xman that you could probably crop the top portion of the photo, as it doesn't add much.

The greyness of the shot adds to the mood, but I'm not sure if you shot it in color and there is just no color in the shot or if you did it in black and white and intentionally went for grey. I'd like to see how it would look with a little more contrast and maybe if the snow was a little more white.

One thing you might want to look at in the future is to try to pick an angle that isolates your subject(s) from the background. To me, the main subject is the 3 gravestones. The intersection of those stones with stones in the background detracts from the main stones.

I circled the points in red:
graveyard.jpg

By shifting your position you might have been able to avoid those intersections and the stones would become more prominent. Make sense? Just a thought.

- darren